Looking for a 2.3 rom, and wonering about kernels.....

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by analgas187, Mar 9, 2011.

1. analgas187

analgas187 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I am back with more rookie questions. I am sure I am going to do more reading I just can't find the answers. I have the of and heard of overclocking (been told its dangerous, could instantly brick it). Also, is there a way to open this thing up and fix my buttons? My a buttuon double taps (aa when clicked once), my d has trouble, f as well, and my x button has to be long pressed hard in order to be read. How do I fix these problems?

Rooted 2.3.2 OG DroiD

2. james4133

james4133 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've had really good success with the "vanilla" Gingerbread ROM that Peter Alfonso put together (2.3.3, currently GPA13, available at Peter Alfonso). The update process was easy, and it has been very stable since install. It is customizable enough for my purposes.

Peter mentioned that he put his own 600Mhz kernel with GPA13, but ChevyN01 put out some recent updated kernels (linked from http://www.droidforums.net/forum/chevyno1/129734-kernels-3-3-11-faster-gb-froyo-kernels.html, plus add setCPU to get the overclocking). Overclocking is fairly safe, though as you may have read, what works for one persons Droid may not work for another. The highest I've been able to overclock is 1.1Ghz, at Med voltage. If I go to 1.25 Ghz, my phone goes into a continual boot loop (pull the battery, boot into recovery, mount via USB cable to PC and install another kernel). Leaving it at stock voltage/kernel for me leads to lag when browsing, playing Angry Birds, etc, but it is very snappy when overclocked. The OG Droid doesn't have the speed/processing capabilities with the root kernel that you would have with the Droid 2/X/...

Sorry, can't help with the keyboard problems, not sure if it can be opened up/fixed.

3. analgas187

analgas187 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have Peters 2.3.2. And I have tried the 2.3.3 how do I know how the Oct is working and what is your battery life like? How do I use 2.3.3 and a different kernel? Do I flash update from SD?

Rooted 2.3.2 OG DroiD

4. james4133

james4133 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure what Oct is, but as far as stability goes, if I'm wondering about kernel stability, I'll do the benchmark and stress tests in setCPU, and run the Quadrant scores, as this stresses the CPU/GPU...not a 100% predictor of stability, but pretty consistent.

As far as battery life, it's OK, better than I was getting on Froyo a little bit, I'm probably getting 18 hrs with light usage and 10-12 hrs with moderate usage. Never really have gotten much better than that.

Oh, and as far as kernel +ROM, I us SPRecovery, so after flashing the ROM (via update.zip) and getting apps restored, etc, you'd then delete the ROM update.zip (it's already written to the phone internal memory), replace with kernel update.zip, reboot into recovery and install that update, and then reboot.

Of course, backup your system before you do anything.

#4 james4133, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  5. analgas187

analgas187 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have SPRecovery as well but when i do a recovery it just sets it back to 2.3.2, and if the kernel is 1ghz, does that mean i need to OC (overclock)? Also, you said you were getting 10-12 hours of use on your phone? How is that possible, I am sorry I am slow, and new to all of this. Its not as hard as i make it out to be once i learn it.

6. DaSnOoTeRKiNG

DaSnOoTeRKiNG Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I suggest you try chevys new gb rom he released like an hour ago its the 3 version so most of the bugs are gone plus its loaded with his 1.0 ghz lowv kernel and its. Got all the bells and whistle..............so just go on and click here ~~> http://www.droidforums.net/forum/chevyno1/131296-rom-ss-5-1-gb-2-3-3-3-9-11-a.html as always so a nandroid backup and if you aren't currently running his stuff a full wipe is recommended....cheers mate :blackdroid:

7. analgas187

analgas187 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, isnt that the steel droid, and thank you i will do this meow. *Raises glass and say to all my hookers now dead and gone, and i am the one to blame.

8. analgas187

analgas187 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    one last question, how do i do a nandroid backup? well write a name for it?

9. analgas187

analgas187 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Its themed? I dont really want a themed rom.

10. DaSnOoTeRKiNG

DaSnOoTeRKiNG Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Why bother?

11. DaSnOoTeRKiNG

DaSnOoTeRKiNG Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The unthemes will be released shortly if you read the post

12. DaSnOoTeRKiNG

DaSnOoTeRKiNG Member