looking at creating themes

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by droijo, Jul 26, 2010.

1. droijo

droijo Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I've read through a lot of the theme tutorials and threads here and on xda and although it seems like a lot of steps, I think that's only on paper. Once I get going, I think it should be fine. I have a couple more questions and hopefully you guys can give me more insight.

1. Obtaining the theme, I remember reading that some rom makers have templates of their themes. Is this how you guys make them and obtain them? Or do most people start by modifying other existing themes?

2. Are creating .9 png files neccessary? Before reading up on the image format, I use to just edit the drawable .9 png files in photoshop, saving it as png with transparency, then rename it to .9.png (because photoshop removed the .9 when efiting). I was able to do this and edit some apps, battery, etc.

3. Has there ever been a complete how to on the entire process? Most of the how to and sources I've found list all the tools available then goes about telling what needs to be done, but never really says or base the step off the tools. I think I've gotten the whole process down but if there is a how to on this, no reason I shouldn't take advantage of it.

2. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    It's impossible to put the entire process down and tell someone how to do something. Lots of us learn by experimenting and finding new tools. The fact that new tools come out changes steps, so there isn't one set way. Yes, with in android there are "themes" controlled by xmls. This is manly for backgrounds and text. The graphics still have to come from the themer.

3. ecsnead69

ecsnead69 Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hey Bowers, did you get my pm about where to find the text to change (xmls)?

4. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, I got it but don't know what text specfically you want to change. I recommend everyone get apk manager. It is so much easier to do xml edits, recompile, sign and push to phone. Also people who love themes should REALLY thank those who help out and create great tools.

5. droijo

droijo Member

Ratings:
    +3
    @ bowser, thanks I figured that much. The main question I wanted answered was the first and second. The last question was just if there was one available.

6. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I create my themes from scratch going off of the dimensions from the orginal images.

Yes .9 images can be decompiled by apk manager to show you the guides that are on them. Take the image and delete everything except the black lines around the border. Once the image is saved in an image editing software program. They have to be saved with the draw9patch.bat in the SDK tools directory and then recompiled.

7. droijo

droijo Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I see, so do you go off of the roms you build it off of or do you go off stock and make them compatible with the roms?

As for the .9.png files, is it necessary that I'd have to put in the guides? I've edited them previously with the original guides, but never modified them; just renaming them to replace the original.