Long time favorite keyboard app Swype is no more.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
swype_hero.jpg

One of the most popular keyboard replacements when it was released back in 2013, Swype, has been officially discontinued. Nuance, who you may know as the company behind the popular Dragon Dictation software, is... err... was the developer behind Swype. Apparently, according to Nuance, this 'change is necessary to allow us to concentrate on developing AI solutions for sale directly to businesses'. It's not because Google totally copied you and built it in to the OS so no one is downloading Swype anymore? Everyone copied you Nuance, you were the original swiping text app and for that at least, you should be proud. You set the bar. RIP Swype.
So is anyone still using Swype?

Source: Macrumors

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Swype was my go to keyboard for years but I found myself using Google's keyboard because they copied Swype. That being said, Swype was getting bloated and slow. The accuracy went down for me and the autocorrect was miserable later in its life too.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I used Swype a number of years back and for a while really liked it. Then I heard of SwiftKey which also utilizes the swipe technology. I rarely use the swiping aspect, but SwiftKey has just come to know my style so well that I can make so many typos and it still know what I'm thinking

I have tried Google's keyboard on a few different occasions. Most recently when they integrated support for Bitmoji but after less than an hours use I went back to SwiftKey and can't see leaving SwiftKey ever

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I used Swype a number of years back and for a while really liked it. Then I heard of SwiftKey which also utilizes the swipe technology. I rarely use the swiping aspect, but SwiftKey has just come to know my style so well that I can make so many typos and it still know what I'm thinking

I have tried Google's keyboard on a few different occasions. Most recently when they integrated support for Bitmoji but after less than an hours use I went back to SwiftKey and can't see leaving SwiftKey ever
Same here, I used swype at first then made the move to swiftkey only I use the flow feature all the time. I've tried googles keyboard, it's just not the keyboard for me.

sad to see it go, but it's not going to affect me at all.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Me and my wife been using SwiftKey for almost 7 years and there is no better keyboard.