Long lag time to home screen

jtpryan

Reaction score
Ever since the 2.2 upgrade my Droid has a lag of ~10 seconds to bring up the home screen from any app. If I go to the list of Apps from there it can take up to 15 seconds for them to show. This has gotten to be beyond frustrating. Has this been reported elsewhere? Are there any know fixes?

-Jim

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
It's been reported a LOT. It's called a screen redraw and a few options have been offered, though few of them are complete "fixes". Are you rooted? Are you running an alternative launcher?

OP
J

jtpryan

Reaction score
No root, no launcher. Last night I uninstalled Beautiful Widgets and disabled Locale. The problem went away, like having an new phone. I enabled Locale and the problem came back, not as bad as with BW, but bad enough. It is a shame, I like Locale, but it isn't worth it. I'm thinking of trying Tasker to see if that will work.

OP
J

jtpryan

Reaction score
Mine is much better now since I got rid of BW and Local. I'm using Tasker now. I do get a bit of a lag randomly, but it is worth it. I don't think Tasker is doing the amount of polling that Locale did.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Darn I wish you were rooted. I was having crazy redraw with LauncherPro untill I used a Terminal Emulator command, and now I have had like 1 quick redraw in the past week. Its super fast and always in memory now. (and I have 7 screens with a whole bunch of widgets)

catfang

Reaction score
I have same problem, but I see it when I close the browser. Stock, LauncherPro, BW. I'm going to root one of these days but pretty frustrating in the mean time.

OP
J

jtpryan

Reaction score
A little OT, but what is the benefit of rooting. Can you (or somebody) point me to a good thread on it?

HamDog

Reaction score
Darn I wish you were rooted. I was having crazy redraw with LauncherPro untill I used a Terminal Emulator command, and now I have had like 1 quick redraw in the past week. Its super fast and always in memory now. (and I have 7 screens with a whole bunch of widgets)

I'm rooted and having this issue. I don't have any custom ROMs or kernels, all stock. What's the Terminal Emulator command line that could help? I have the Droid 1 with 2.2.

I've seen a terminal emulator command that was supposed to help, but I think it was in one of the custom ROM forums, so I didn't think it would apply to stock.

I've tried many things and some appear to help at first, but the problem soon comes back. Launcher Pro helped instantly, but in a few days, it was back to the same redraw issue again.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint

I'm rooted and having this issue. I don't have any custom ROMs or kernels, all stock. What's the Terminal Emulator command line that could help? I have the Droid 1 with 2.2.

I've seen a terminal emulator command that was supposed to help, but I think it was in one of the custom ROM forums, so I didn't think it would apply to stock.

I've tried many things and some appear to help at first, but the problem soon comes back. Launcher Pro helped instantly, but in a few days, it was back to the same redraw issue again.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bu...draw-launcherpro-adw-credit-samsonite801.html

It's in the Bugless Beast forum, yes, but it applies to both ADW and LauncherPro across all ROMs. I don't know as it'd work with the stock launcher but you could give it a try.

HamDog

Reaction score
Thanks, I just applied it and it does get rid of the lag. But when I first installed LauncherPro, it also got rid of the lag, but it slowly came back within the next few days. I hope this fix sticks and the lag doesn't come back.

Thanks for the help!