Lollipop update email issue

ToddClark

Reaction score
Anyone else having an issue of being on wi-fi and not getting your email pushed to you? My son and i both have the G3 on Verizon, both updated to the new OS a couple of weeks ago, and now when at home on my wi-fi, no mail comes thru to my phone, but as soon as i leave the house and hit the 4G, BAM! all the email comes in.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
That's pretty strange. Are you certain you have a good WiFi connection? The inbound should work no matter what.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Are you talking gmail, or the email app? (or, more directly, what email app are you having trouble with?)

Gmail uses Push, so the server sends emails to your device when they arrive. Other email services, most notable POP3/etc rely on the device to poll the server to check for new messages. This may not have anything to do with your problem, but will be a good place to start in troubleshooting.

OP
ToddClark

ToddClark

Reaction score
Gmail is what we all use. This started happening after the update. He and i are the only ones in the house with new phones and took the update. He and i both have the G3's. The other son has an S4 and the wife has the Note2. Neither of theirs has been effected.

Both he and i did a hard reset after the update and then re-installed all the apps we wanted. I havent had time to research much on it, but my son (27 years old), who is kind of a nerd, did some research and this is apparently an issue not just with us, hence why i asked about it here since i hadnt seen anything here about it.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone can have an E-Mail issue and that common but if your nerd son didn't find that specific problem here it may not exist. This is certainly the first time I have heard of G-Mail not working inbound except on cellular/data. I feel the problem may have been a settings change that may have happened during the upgrade process.

This is a decent tutorial on setting up G-Mail. Double check the inbound settings.

OP
ToddClark

ToddClark

Reaction score
i just went thru all the settings, and theyre all correct. Its weird, i can open gmail on the phone, pull down to "refresh", and the emails will come in, but thats the ONLY way i get them while on wi-fi.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I read through all the posts in the link you posted. Have you tried the temporary fix posted in said link?

"sprmankalel 2 days ago
What has worked quite successfully for is the following:
Since the issue is not just when the device is connected to Wi-Fi but when the device's screen is off (standby) and connected to Wi-Fi. I went into the Wi-Fi settings, tapped the menu, headed to Advanced and changed the setting for Keep Wi-Fi on when screen is off to No.
Less than a minute after I turn the screen off the Wi-Fi disconnects and I get my notifications flawlessly. No, this isn't a complete fix but it does help."

Did this do anything to help your situation? I know it's just temporary, but hopefully this will work, at least until someone has another idea, or a fix is pushed out for this device.

S5 tap'n

bigmatt503

Reaction score
My g3 was doing the same thing after the 5.0 update as soon as the update was released and I just entered my email address on the stock email app and "poof" everything is working now.... For the last couple of weeks I have been using an app called Aquamail that solved the wifi problem.. But now I'm good

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

OP
ToddClark

ToddClark

Reaction score
I read through all the posts in the link you posted. Have you tried the temporary fix posted in said link?

"sprmankalel 2 days ago
What has worked quite successfully for is the following:
Since the issue is not just when the device is connected to Wi-Fi but when the device's screen is off (standby) and connected to Wi-Fi. I went into the Wi-Fi settings, tapped the menu, headed to Advanced and changed the setting for Keep Wi-Fi on when screen is off to No.
Less than a minute after I turn the screen off the Wi-Fi disconnects and I get my notifications flawlessly. No, this isn't a complete fix but it does help."

Did this do anything to help your situation? I know it's just temporary, but hopefully this will work, at least until someone has another idea, or a fix is pushed out for this device.

S5 tap'n
its not that big of a deal to me. I read the thread. I was just wondering if anyone here had had this problem.

bigmatt503

Reaction score
The stock email app stopped working on wifi in the last day or two?.?.? So... Back to the aqua mail app

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited: