Lollipop 5.1 on Motorola device

madmuthertrucker

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 7, Nexus 9, and Nexus 10 devices receive the latest version of Android directly from Google. Once an update is available, it can take up to two weeks for it to reach your device. Based on your carrier, it may take longer than two weeks after release to get an update.

Nexus devices may not receive the latest version of Android if they fall outside of the update window, which is usually around 18 months after a device has been released.

I found this on Google Nexus support. So alicia78 is right.

OP
kevsgroove

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
OP
kevsgroove

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Damn, could not get the update to work. :( After factory reset (twice) the update would show up, but there was a download error and it wouldn't start. Update was still there after I inserted the SIM card, but of course, would not download. After shutting of the phone before bed last night and turning it back on this morning, device is up to date still sporting 5.0.1, and again working with no issues. Just the hassle of setting everything back up following the fdr, and bugging my wife for the Netflix password. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Was just reading over on PhoneArena that this will work, however, factory reset has to be done. Leave SIM card out until everything is restored and you have been prompted to update device. After update is complete, then insert SIM card, and should be good to go. Gonna check it out this evening when I get home.

Here's the link: Turns out getting the Android 5.1 update for Nexus 6 on AT T takes a little extra effort here s how

I'm currently on 5.1 on my N6. I flashed an OTA zip though because I couldn't stand if I got memory leak issues (which I fortunately did not). I'd hate to have people factory reset just to update though...that's just unconventional.

OP
kevsgroove

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Well, I just got off the phone with a customer service Rep from Verizon. I talked to her Monday about having my nexus 6 show up in Verizon's system, so I could receive the 5.1 update. (A little background. I also called Motorola earlier on Monday about the update and was told that it was released to the various carriers, and those carriers would get the update to the consumers. Motorola had also made available to the carriers the IMEI numbers for the nexus 6s that had been sold, so proper identification could be verified.)

The rep put in all my info on Monday and submitted for approval, telling me that I would hear something in 1 - 3 days. In today's call she informed me that the request for approval was denied because Verizon didn't actually have their hands on the device before it was issued, and that the IMEI didn't start with 99. What a load of BS!!!!! My nexus 6 works like a charm and will continue to do so, update or not, it's just a shame that Verizon shows no respect for its customers. (Funny how Verizon's lack of respect is a current topic on the front page of the forum) If it wasn't for unlimited data, and the fact that the damn thing works, wherever, whenever I want it to.............

I guess when I decide to update, I'll have to either root the device and flash or sideload the update.

Last edited:

madmuthertrucker

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
^^^^ What he said. Use wugfresh's toolkit, it's easy. Then flash stock 5.1 in recovery. You'll get simultaneous voice and data "aka enhanced calling" too. Carefull, it can develope into an addiction.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
^^^^ What he said. Use wugfresh's toolkit, it's easy. Then flash stock 5.1 in recovery. You'll get simultaneous voice and data "aka enhanced calling" too. Carefull, it can develope into an addiction.

That's for true. Since you aren't getting any headway the 'official' way, I'd start looking into these options. Only reason I don't is because I don't mind the experience I'm getting and I don't mind waiting. The fear of memory leaks through me over to at least get the OTA zipped though. If you're going to anyways, I'd just get it all out of the way in my opinion.

OP
kevsgroove

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Ok, will probably sideload 5.1 update when I have some time this weekend, since Verizon seems determined to not allow it to happen OTA. Looks like there are 35 different updates available :rolleyes:. Ok, at least 3...... M, D, I. Which one should I use for Verizon's network.

Also, I'm using a Macbook Pro. And I've read a few sets of instructions on how to complete the sideload, though with users adding corrections to a few. Where can I find the clearest and most concise info on sideloading, keeping in mind I've never rooted a device nor sideloaded before. Thanks in advance.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Ok, will probably sideload 5.1 update when I have some time this weekend, since Verizon seems determined to not allow it to happen OTA. Looks like there are 35 different updates available :rolleyes:. Ok, at least 3...... M, D, I. Which one should I use for Verizon's network.

Also, I'm using a Macbook Pro. And I've read a few sets of instructions on how to complete the sideload, though with users adding corrections to a few. Where can I find the clearest and most concise info on sideloading, keeping in mind I've never rooted a device nor sideloaded before. Thanks in advance.
For Shamu there's D, E & I. I don't see an M. I used E as I read that's for Verizon. But I don't have any links to show you.

For the side loading on a Mac, I don't know. I know Droidmodderx rooted his Nexus 6 & I believe he uses a mac. Maybe search his videos on YouTube or send him a pm. If you had a Windows computer I could help you more.

Tapped from a Nexus 6

OP
kevsgroove

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
For Shamu there's D, E & I. I don't see an M. I used E as I read that's for Verizon. But I don't have any links to show you.

For the side loading on a Mac, I don't know. I know Droidmodderx rooted his Nexus 6 & I believe he uses a mac. Maybe search his videos on YouTube or send him a pm. If you had a Windows computer I could help you more.

Tapped from a Nexus 6
Just curious on the E update. Does your Nexus 6 still show up as a Non-Verizon device? Also, where do I find the E image?

OP
kevsgroove

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Checking out XDA it looks like:
LMY47D - AT&T, Sprint, Verizon users who didn't purchase from Verizon
LMY47E - came pre-installed on phones sold by Verizon, and was not released to other phones with Verizon SIMs
LMY47M - T-Mobile
LMY47I - Australia, New Zealand, India

I should get this done either tonight or tomorrow.

OP
kevsgroove

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Holler if you have any questions

Tapped from a Nexus 6
Will do. Just downloaded shamu-lmy47e-factory-cf313164.tar from the Google factory images page. It's a zip file. Gotta get up early for work in the morning, so will probably complete the update tomorrow.