Lockscreen Notifications Unofficially Available on Jelly Bean

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
notifications-on-lock-screen.jpg

Here's a cool new app from our amazing community of developers. One of the pioneering folks over at XDA created an app/mod that allows you to manage your notifications on your lockscreen. This was made possible because of Google's ingenious update to Jelly Bean that allows widgets on the lockscreen; however , they hadn't yet made it possible to check notifications on your lockscreen. Luckily, a savvy dev named Roymam decided to do something about that.

There's one important caveat. His new app can only be used with the 4.2 version of Jelly Bean, (although some users have reported that it can work on some Jelly Bean devices lower than 4.2, but you will need to grab WidgetLocker from the Google Play store for $2.99. Hit up the source link below for more info, instructions and a download link.

Source: XDA

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Tried this out a while back with a MIUI lockscreen, but having message previews out there in the open like that gets a little old after a while. Definitely a useful feature for business or whatever so that you know if you need to take the time to reply to something or not.

Likwid_E

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4
Cool concept but I'm not so sure about having my private messages or emails viewable to anybody who picks up my phone, lol.

djspy

Reaction score
I can do this on my RAZR Maxx HD. As long so don't have a lock our pin set up I can check my notifications from my lock screen

Reaction score
Ok so now we have widgets, weather, and notifications on the lock screen. Maybe the next step is to be able to launch apps from the lock screen too or better yet, be able to go into the settings. Then soon after that we might as well disable the lockscreen all together.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
I can do this on my RAZR Maxx HD. As long so don't have a lock our pin set up I can check my notifications from my lock screen

I thought this was a stock feature... I can do it on 10.1 too, as long as it is an unsecured lockscreen, just swipe down like you would normally.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's a little bit of a difference between being able to see new notifications and having zero security on your phone =p

skennelly

Reaction score
There's a little bit of a difference between being able to see new notifications and having zero security on your phone =p

Not really. I would hardly call "swiping left to right" security. Not to mention the fact that the notification shade is still functional in the lock screen. I tried this app several days ago and it did not seem to have much functionality. Yes, you could see your notifications, but you could not clear them one at a time. You either had to leave them alone or clear all. Not much use for that.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not really. I would hardly call "swiping left to right" security. Not to mention the fact that the notification shade is still functional in the lock screen. I tried this app several days ago and it did not seem to have much functionality. Yes, you could see your notifications, but you could not clear them one at a time. You either had to leave them alone or clear all. Not much use for that.

I meant having a pin, pattern, or password active.