Lockscreen custom question...

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
I've got Widgetlocker to customize my lockscreen. It gives different options for sliders and such. I also was looking around for a customized widget to put on the lockscreen (unread text and missed calls). arrjaytea provided me with one that was perfect, only downside is that it didn't function properly.

I would have my girlfriend text me, even text myself and it would remain at 0 unread text, even though I hadn't opened the text to view it. Then it finally shows up the next day and the 0 turns to 2 unread. But these text were already viewed, which would make it 0 unread again.

So I tried texting myself again, waited for the text to come through, turned off the screen and back on to the lockscreen and it reads 0 even though the text came through. Turned the phone off completely and back on and it reads 1 unread.

I'm thinking maybe this widget is only for Better Home? I have LauncherPro Plus. There seems to be some kind of bug or long delay for the text counter to change. There is no name for this kind of widget, oddly. It just says Widgets (2). Missed Calls. New Messages. I don't know where this widget originated from other than from arrjaytea providing me a link to download the widget from a media share site.

I also tried to use Desktop Visualizer 1x1(small) changed the icon to a custom text icon and put the action as Handcent text. Repeated the process again of having someone text me, even myself, no little pop-up came up. Went into Widgetsoid's Settings, on lockscreen, then to Pop-ups and noticed Hide SMS Popups and unchecked it since having it checked would have WidgetLock ontop of Handcent or ChompSMS Popups until unlock. Repeated texting process and still no luck.

Now the last thing I did, which I didn't like, was to long press the screen (on lockscreen), go to Widgets, and click on Handcent widgets and click Small icon. That does have a pop-up and that does work when getting text. Only thing is the icon, provided by Handcent for widgets, is very ugly. Wish there could be a functioning Swipe Gesture action on lockscreens but unfortunately, there isn't. With Swipe gesture, I could easily replace the Handcent icon with a text icon and place a pop-up as the Swipe action for that.

Does anyone have better suggestions or a custom unread and missed calls counter for the Lockscreen?

Last edited:

arrjaytea

Reaction score
I've got Widgetlocker to customize my lockscreen. It gives different options for sliders and such. I also was looking around for a customized widget to put on the lockscreen (unread text and missed calls). arrjaytea provided me with one that was perfect, only downside is that it didn't function properly.

I would have my girlfriend text me, even text myself and it would remain at 0 unread text, even though I hadn't opened the text to view it. Then it finally shows up the next day and the 0 turns to 2 unread. But these text were already viewed, which would make it 0 unread again.

So I tried texting myself again, waited for the text to come through, turned off the screen and back on to the lockscreen and it reads 0 even though the text came through. Turned the phone off completely and back on and it reads 1 unread.

I'm thinking maybe this widget is only for Better Home? I have LauncherPro Plus. There seems to be some kind of bug or long delay for the text counter to change. There is no name for this kind of widget, oddly. It just says Widgets (2). Missed Calls. New Messages. I don't know where this widget originated from other than from arrjaytea providing me a link to download the widget from a media share site.

I also tried to use Desktop Visualizer 1x1(small) changed the icon to a custom text icon and put the action as Handcent text. Repeated the process again of having someone text me, even myself, no little pop-up came up. Went into Widgetsoid's Settings, on lockscreen, then to Pop-ups and noticed Hide SMS Popups and unchecked it since having it checked would have WidgetLock ontop of Handcent or ChompSMS Popups until unlock. Repeated texting process and still no luck.

Now the last thing I did, which I didn't like, was to long press the screen (on lockscreen), go to Widgets, and click on Handcent widgets and click Small icon. That does have a pop-up and that does work when getting text. Only thing is the icon, provided by Handcent for widgets, is very ugly. Wish there could be a functioning Swipe Gesture action on lockscreens but unfortunately, there isn't. With Swipe gesture, I could easily replace the Handcent icon with a text icon and place a pop-up as the Swipe action for that.

Does anyone have better suggestions or a custom unread and missed calls counter for the Lockscreen?

I should apologize. I hadn't properly tested the widget. It worked well for me, but after a few days I ran into the same problems... but I digress:

kmgaU.png

This was my somewhat clean solution. Widgetlocker, SMS Unread Count Widget (available in the market), transparent icons, and a custom background.

The only thing I don't like is that I can't place the "dock" where it would normally sit, and the icon for the unread number could be cleaner looking. Otherwise, this is basically an entirely customizable solution where even a cursory understanding of Photoshop should allow for limitless possibilities.

Don't hesitate to ask if you need a hand.

OP
TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Yep, my whole point was for a cleaner look and that unread count that you provided me was an excellent clean look. Just the function of it was very odd.

I've changed it back and forth, using the standard SMS/MMS (stock) and then Handcent. I did read in other threads that these custom SMS/MMS apps rely on your stock SMS/MMS to do the sending, receiving, counter and other various tools. Without the stock, it would be inoperable. So, my conclusion is that the widget you provided me is just a simple delay bug that could be fixable but unfortunately I have no expertise in that area just yet. I'm working my way around the map of everything slowly. Hopefully someone sees this bug on this widget and provides the fix for it, if not then maybe one day soon I can give it a shot or make something myself.

As for your dock position problem, that's fixable. Since you said you have Widgetlocker, and I do too, I was able to relocate the Lock slider to different parts of the Lockscreen.

This is what I would do (Only downside is you will be unable to change the look of the slider to a custom slider):

Click the hard Menu button (4 squares), click on Settings, click on Look & Feel, click on Slider & Layout, click on No Slider. Your slider will disappear and you will have only the remaining things you have on the Lockscreen.

Next...

Long press the screen and wait till a pop-up comes up and gives you options such as Custom Slider, Shortcuts, and Widgets. Click on Custom Slider, on left Slider should say Unlock, on right Slider should say Ringer Mode. You can change what action can be done on the left and/or right slider. You will also see a middle option that says No Action. If you click that it will bring up extra actions where an action will be placed between the 2 sliders so you will have 3 options instead of 2. I just stick to the Unlock and Ringer Mode and No Action for middle part. Click on Save. You will then have a slider that has a Green unlock and a Yellow Ringer Mode. Long press the middle of those slider and you can move the Sliders to wherever you want on the screen. That way you can move your custom dock (with the message, gmail, and unread text counter) to the bottom of the screen where your current Slider was.

Also, I think that widget you provided me, was indeed an original SMS Unread Count widget but someone pulled out the apk and redid the whole look of it but overlooked something to cause it to delay the counter. I need to figure out how to pull out these files and look at the XML's and learn how I can redo them, or at least start out with fidgeting just the color of it first for testing rather than replacing the whole look of it right away.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

arrjaytea

Reaction score
Hmmm... I've tried a few things along those lines, but haven't been able to get Widgetlocker to allow me to place widgets on the bottom row, so I haven't been able to place a dock there purely because I can't get it to function right.

I'll try and mess around with it again after the game this afternoon. Hopefully I can figure something out.

Hopefully you can as well. It's certainly easy to get all obsessive over designs, but I do love having something I use with such regularity feel this personalized.