1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Locked out of Droid

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by inmotion, Feb 1, 2010.

1. inmotion

inmotion New Member

Whats up all, I'm in need of serious help, so any ideas \ responses are greatly appreciated.

This morning I added a lock pattern to the phone.

My girlfriend picked it up while I was away for a few minutes and tried unlocking it one too many times, so it gave me the screen where I have to input my gmail password to unlock it.

Problem is, the phone won't unlock with the email \ pw. EDIT: It keeps telling me invalid Password \ Username

I've tried more times than I can count, with and without the @gmail.com in the username, tried every password I've had for the past few months, tried restarting the phone, tried checking the password on my computer, tried changing the password with my computer, and trying the new one (and the old one) and as a last resort, tried calling Verizon. (all in approx that order)

Verizon is telling me the only option is a factory reset. I have too much data on the phone that I can't afford to loose.

If you have any ideas, please send them my way. For the moment, this thing is (basically) bricked.
  2. justbob

justbob New Member

Pull the battery, wait 60 seconds or so and try again.
  3. inmotion

inmotion New Member

Thanks justbob, but it didn't work. I waited about 5 minutes and its still doing the same thing
  4. JhankG

JhankG New Member

You can back out to a locked phone's home screen by pressing the Back button after accepting an incoming call. It is considered to be a security flaw in the current version of Android.
  5. JhankG

JhankG New Member

This ^ ^ ^
  6. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Premium Member Premium Member

^^^^^Agreed [I didn't read the whole post. Deleted my original idea]
  7. 640k

640k New Member

OP, a factory reset won't (shouldn't) lose your data. just all of your personal settings. once you reconnect your gmail account, all of your apps (paid and free) will download again and all of your data on your SD card will remain.
  8. Jonny Kansas

Are you saying they'll download on their own?

If so, is this new to 2.x? Because I had the G1, and when I logged into the Droid with that same Gmail account, nothing happened other than my contacts being synced. I WAS able to search and re-download a paid app for free though.
  9. 640k

640k New Member

i've had 3 DROID and have factory reset several times and have received every app each time (50+ apps). i have read reports of people not getting their apps, but they were switching between ROMs, so there could be disconnects happening there.
  10. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

* Copied from BostonDroids post in another thread. *
    1) create a new gmail account on the computer.
    2) call your cell phone with a different phone.
    3) answer your cell phone then hit the back button and it will take you to the home
    screen.
    4) turn on wifi so it can do data and voice at the same time (remember that the phone
    is still connected)
    5) go to Settings -> Location & Security and disable lock pattern (you'll need to
    enter to correct pattern previously set)
    6) go to Settings -> Accounts & Sync and click "Add Account" and add your newly
    created Gmail account.
    7) hang up the phone.
    8) turn the phone back on, at the lockout screen, enter your new Gmail account info
    and it should let you back in
    9) once the phone is unlocked, you can go in setting and remove the newly added Gmail
    account and keep the old one.
  11. stuhasdroid

stuhasdroid New Member

What has really happened here ?

Firstly, why can't you get logged in with your gmail account and pass ? That isn't a Droid problem is it ?

Didn't know about fielding an incoming call and being able to back step to the home screen.

Is there something else that has contributed to this problem also ? Is there a problem with the Droid choosing to prohibit use of the lock pattern after said # of attempts ? How many attempts is that by the way ?
  12. Jonny Kansas

How's that work if he can't remember the lock pattern? Or did I misread the original post? ***EDIT: Yes I did...Shutting up now.
  13. Jonny Kansas

Even the FREE ones? I didn't think they do that!

Retrieving previously purchased applications - Android Market Help
  14. 640k

640k New Member

because the apps aren't actually REMOVED from the device, the Market still has inventory of you downloading and installing them. when a reset/replace has complated, the Market will check your device for updates. updates include apps you've installed, even the free ones.
  15. Jonny Kansas

Now I gotchya!
  16. inmotion

inmotion New Member

jhankg - first off thank you. I've been working on the phone for the past few minutes here, but i still cant get it completely unlocked. Heres what I've done so far.

1) called the phone and backed out to the home screen
    2) deleted the lock pattern (hung up, still locked out, called it again)
    3) tried deleting my gmail account from the phone, wouldn't let me
    4) changed my gmail password on my computer, and toyed with the phone until gmail figured out i was running the old pw still, it asked me to input the new pass, and I did. (hung up, still locked out)
    5) after all of this, tried putting in my new password to unlock the phone, its still telling me invalid.

From what I've seen, there has to be a flag in a file somewhere that will continue locking me out until i can either
    a) put in the "correct" password -or-
    b) find the file and manually change the flag

Does anyone know where the file might be? I'm not rooted, which may turn out to be my downfall.

If I don't get any other ideas soon, I'm going to try to manually install the 2.1 update (I doubt itll work while in the call) Hopefully that will replace the file with the flag.

Thanks again to all who replied

EDIT: wow, lots of responses while I was busy with the phone \ reply. I'll post in a few minutes after trying the new stuff. Thanks everyone!
  17. 3turner

3turner New Member

Try martin's suggestion above by creating a NEW GMail account from a computer to your phone.
  18. inmotion

inmotion New Member

Well, I got it. Thanks to everyone who posted, especially JhankG and Martin030908, you guys are lifesavers.

stuhasdroid - I was simultaneously on gmail on my computer, checking the password to make sure I wasn't making a dumb mistake, and I changed it just because I had no better idea. Off the top of my head, I think you can change the # of lock attempts in security settings.

640k - even though I've got the phone back its good to know about the factory reset. The Verizon rep I talked to didn't mention saving anything. She just said the factory reset would delete evereything on the phone, contacts, apps, files etc... Where do they get these people?

Wish I could give you guys a hi-5, rep points or something.
  19. 640k

640k New Member

home - menu - settings - privacy - back up my settings.

as long as that's checked, you'll get your apps, calendar, contacts, wallpaper, wifi and maybe ringtone settings back.

other app settings like messenger notifications and email notifications have to be reset.
  20. deubster

deubster New Member

Oh, and change girlfriends before she tries to touch it again. :icon_ devil:
Search tags for this page
droid x get past password
get pastpassword galaxy s 3

getting around droid screen lock

how to get passed a passcode on a droid
how to get passed screen lock motorola droid
how to get passed the password on a droid

how to get past a locked android

how to get past an android password

how to get past android pattern lock

how to get past locked screen on droid m

how to get past password on android phone