1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Locked Bootloader?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by ZeroGravity107, Oct 8, 2010.

1. ZeroGravity107

ZeroGravity107 New Member

I'm a D1 user, have been for almost a year. When the X came out I drooled and feigned over it, and I continue to do so until I read about the G2 and there was a link to something similar with DX.

Has the DX community gotten past the encrypted bootloader? I assume you guys have considering I see some roms available.
  2. jmart8684

jmart8684 New Member

3. ZeroGravity107

ZeroGravity107 New Member

Then how is it there are custom ROMs out? What is the bootloader?
  4. jmart8684

jmart8684 New Member

All we have access to right now is /system files. If the bootloader is every fully broke, we will also have access to boot(i believe is where the kernel is), recovery(which is why bootstrapper is needed to temporarily flash clockworkmod), is we currently have with the Droid 1. Right now, the droid x roms only edit /system files, while droid 1, you can flash roms, flash and keep a recovery, change kernels, etc
  5. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

The "custom" roms for the x are really just /system edits and nothing to write home about. The bootloader will probably never be cracked

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  6. liferefugee

liferefugee New Member

Never say never... Anything created can be broken. Just look at the movie industry's attempts to lock things down.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  7. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

The bootloader will never be cracked. The type of encryption it employs has never been cracked by anyone ever and a small group of android devs are not going to be the first ones to do it. Maybe they'll find some workaround our something to get an actual custom rom on the x (but that's doubtful), but they are not going to crack the bootloader.

If they do (which they won't) they would most probably become insta-celebrities and every govt agency in the world would know about them because of the scope of what they just did...in other words? Not gonna happen...

8. liferefugee

liferefugee New Member

I doubt that it is unbreakable, if it truly is moto would not be able to decrypt it. Since they can, there must be a key. If there is a key it can be cracked... The only thing that is truly unbreakable is something that is unusable. QED

Course that his just my programmers pride probably.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  9. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

of course it's not unbreakable, in the sense that no one can decrypt it. naturally, motorola has the key, and they can break it. what i'm saying is some guy named birdman or koush is not going to be the one to break it. 2048bit RSA encryption is not something some android dev sitting at home tinkering is going to break it by himself. it has nothing to do with skill, it has to do with the limits of current technology and probability.
  10. godfish

godfish New Member

Thanks for all the info! I didn't know that the ROMs out now are just pseudo Roms, I'm Rooted and I'm going to just stick with 2.2ota its working good and good is better then BRICKED.
  11. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Yep, the ota is probably the most stable kernel you'll get and if it's working for you you should stick with it. being rooted, you can still apply themes and stuff though!
  12. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

Just an FYI...anyone who has been working on this in earnest knows full well that "cracking" in the way that czerdrill is suggesting, a brute force crack of the signature on the bootloader, is not the way to go about it.

The challenge is to find a way to dance around that...daunting nonetheless, but not the quixotic impossibility that he is refuting.
  13. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Breaking the decryption is a 100% no chance..."dancing around it" like you suggest is 99.999999% no chance...it's not happening dude...

14. thatisandwas

thatisandwas New Member

Why is it so impossible to believe that a backdoor can't be found just like many other devices??? Like the ps3??? I mean....i just dont buy the whole "it will NEVER be done."
  15. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

That's my point...a backdoor is the only chance...and that's unlikely...very very unlikely

16. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

And you will note that I have never made any claims whatsoever about even being close, let alone imminent. A great deal of the work we have been doing lately actually culminated in the public disproving of someone who had made such claims...nenolod.

We aren't on a fools errand...only attempting to understand the possibilities. ;)
  17. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

And I appreciate that...but at what point does it become a fools errand

18. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

That is an open question...but I think 8-10 weeks since the release is a bit premature.

Ultimately we all decide these things for ourselves. :)
  19. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

I challenge you to prove me wrong...hows that for motivation

20. thatisandwas

thatisandwas New Member

I think by christmas its cracked.
Search tags for this page

locked at x