Locked Bootloader?

debdroid1a

Reaction score
They're bad at business? What manufacture made the phone you bought...

That's what a business does, gets people to BUY things.

Sent from my Droid 1 using DroidForums

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Motorola lost 80 million in revenue this past quarter

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TC_Mits

Reaction score
The HTC arrangement seems to work well for both camps. Handsets are sold locked. At your option you visit an HTC website which gives you a key and voids your warranty.

Dial: "...don't you wish everybody did."

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

TC_Mits

Reaction score
Motorola lost 80 million in revenue this past quarter

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Never fear, mighty Google is here!

Maybe now it'll branch into 1a menswear?

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

Last edited:

hellmonkey

Reaction score
I have a quesetion. If the bootloader is locked/encrypted, would it still be possible to root the phone? I wont need to ROM the phone if it runs nicely, but I want root customizing and other things.

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have a quesetion. If the bootloader is locked/encrypted, would it still be possible to root the phone? I wont need to ROM the phone if it runs nicely, but I want root customizing and other things.

Yes... You can root and rom still... Just no kernel... Or true custom recovery... And it makes it allot hater for pure aosp roms such as cm7

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

Jonas

Reaction score
I think this is the last thread I will post in this section. This thread has become useless and clouded with fighting and off topic banter. I will probably just use XDA and Rootzwiki since the mods here are obviously losing their touch to let this thread spiral into what its become.

You can start flaming me now, I don't much care, I prefer not to argue over nothings on an Android Forum.

Sent from my Banana Phone

blackmagick20

Reaction score
I think this is the last thread I will post in this section. This thread has become useless and clouded with fighting and off topic banter. I will probably just use XDA and Rootzwiki since the mods here are obviously losing their touch to let this thread spiral into what its become.

You can start flaming me now, I don't much care, I prefer not to argue over nothings on an Android Forum.

Sent from my Banana Phone

There's not much to talk about when you ask about a phone that doesn't even have a confirmed release date...

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
No reason for the nonsense arguing. I personally dont like Htc and sense but you dont see me going off.
Who actually knows why the bootloaders are locked? Remember they're a business and Motorola has been around for a very long time(founded in 1928) i think they know what they're doing. But I'm sure that the Droid 4 will have a locked bootloader. Anyways we can always flash a custom rom in the future if we dont like the phone. Locked bootloaders haven't stopped us before!

tdpolo26

Reaction score
No reason for the nonsense arguing. I personally dont like Htc and sense but you dont see me going off.
Who actually knows why the bootloaders are locked? Remember they're a business and Motorola has been around for a very long time(founded in 1928) i think they know what they're doing. But I'm sure that the Droid 4 will have a locked bootloader. Anyways we can always flash a custom rom in the future if we dont like the phone. Locked bootloaders haven't stopped us before!

well said!!!!! i completely agree i think that it is annoying they are locked but like i said in another thread there are few gains then there used to be for roms and rooting. even tethering can be achieved through usb with just an app and no root. It was great for the underpowered droid 1 and the old os's but the new ICS is pretty slick and the slight amount of blur i really dont mind.

GohanBurner

Reaction score
Why do the bootloaders NEED to be locked? What are the carriers afraid of anyways? I was really thinking about ditching the Nexus and picking this up just because of the slide out keyboard. :'(

fastpat

Reaction score
I suspect bootloaders are locked to prevent "amateurs" from messing up their phones and complaining to either Verizon or Motorola that it's their fault for making a phone that invites firmware tampering. Nobody ever lost money by underestimating the stupid.

As for me, I looked long and hard at various ROMs for my Droid 1, read how to do it, and decided I really didn't care enough about them to bother.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't buy into that rumor. That was started by the rumor troll here on DF. He's started several rumors that had no base behind them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
The only way the bootloader will be unlocked is if Google forces them to do it as their new bosses.