Locked Bootloader?

Jonas

Reaction score
ok so back to the bootloader......

Motorola has promised to unlock the bootloaders in "future software releases" starting in late 2011. although we havent seen the bootloaders being unlocked, we havent seen any software updates at all, so I'm not going to be too quick to judge. the only bootloader that is unlocked currently is the motorola xoom. this information, along with the files that unlock/relock the bootloader for the Moto Xoom are found here: MOTODEV > Products > Device Software

But on the other hand, there is a good chance that verizon will not allow most, if not all devices in the future to be unlocked. but it may not be that hard to unlock the vzw version of a RAZR, for example, if the international versions are unlocked

Your point about Verizon not allowing hpones to be unlock: have they ever? Maybe I'm confused on the wording, but doesn't the user have to unlock the bootloader theirself? Meaning its either unlockABLE or not? Maybe I'm just confused?

Sent from my Banana Phone

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Your point about Verizon not allowing hpones to be unlock: have they ever? Maybe I'm confused on the wording, but doesn't the user have to unlock the bootloader theirself? Meaning its either unlockABLE or not? Maybe I'm just confused?

The Nexus is unlockable (as per Google, it is a developer phone), the Rezound can be unlocked at htcdev which will void your warranty. Motorola phones are not only locked but military grade encrypted...there is no way to unlock them without the keys.

On Moto phones currently with their bootloader, if hacking it is..
- easy to brick your phone
- you cannot get into custom recovery manually if you cannot boot your phone
- its hard to go back to previous build if you install a leaked build
- roms like cm7 and miui are hard to develop
- general development also suffers because of difficulty
- no custom kernels
....but Moto makes great out of box phones with far superior hardware.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jonas

Reaction score
The Nexus is unlockable (as per Google, it is a developer phone), the Rezound can be unlocked at htcdev which will void your warranty. Motorola phones are not only locked but military grade encrypted...there is no way to unlock them without the keys.

On Moto phones currently with their bootloader, if hacking it is..
- easy to brick your phone
- you cannot get into recovery manually if you cannot boot your phone
- its hard to go back to previous build if you install a leaked build
- roms like cm7 and miui are hard to develop
- general development also suffers because of difficulty
- no custom kernels
....but Moto makes great out of box phones with far superior hardware.

This. That's what I meant when I posted earlier, in that it voids the warranty to unlock the phone. So that's what confused me.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
This. That's what I meant when I posted earlier, in that it voids the warranty to unlock the phone. So that's what confused me.

It only voids your warranty with htc I believe. On Nexus I don't believe Verizon knows. I personally don't like Samsungs though after owning a couple...just my opinion.

Jonas

Reaction score
It only voids your warranty with htc I believe. On Nexus I don't believe Verizon knows. I personally don't like Samsungs though after owning a couple...just my opinion.

I'm currently using a Droid 2 Garbage, and its not even comparable to those phones, but my upgrade comes at the end of feb. That's why I'm looking at either this phone, I'm willing to wait, or the Rezound, which seems to be my option at the moment. But if the bootloader is confirmed locked, I won't support moto anymore.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I had to choose again I would pick the rezound. I am biased against Samsung. I have the bionic and and my girl has razr which are both great phones but I enjoy modding and installing roms and Motorola takes all the Android spirit out of phones. I am going back to htc after this phone maybe. If Moto unlocks bootloader I will stay with them.

Jonas

Reaction score
If I had to choose again I would pick the rezound. I am biased against Samsung. I have the bionic and and my girl has razr which are both great phones but I enjoy modding and installing roms and Motorola takes all the Android spirit out of phones. I am going back to htc after this phone maybe. If Moto unlocks bootloader I will stay with them.

I wonder when we will even know, or if it will be after its launched, and people posting on the forums to announce it.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am not very optimistic that Motorola will unlock bootloaders unless the fcc actually forces them to. If they do I am not sure if they would announce it or not.

cush2push

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing no more moto for me

Sent from a rezound on the rebound

TC_Mits

Reaction score
Droid 5 will probably be released in July as well...

Source please.

[crickets]
That's what I thought. None.

If you're trying to be funny, you're not.
Not saying it's not true... but doubtful that's going to happen.
[h=3]Motorola to Slow it's Product Releases[/h]

... I'm looking at either this phone ... or the Rezound, which seems to be my option at the moment. But if the bootloader is confirmed locked, I won't support moto anymore.

Even given all of the above, I would not be surprised to see the D5 before Q4. Because competition drives this market atm. HTC may well give us that primo KB LTE ICS HD SD unencrypted handset. Moto knows that. LG made the vzw flagship "V" -- haven't seen it on tier 1 lately though -- will it be back?

Quick word on batteries: Ideally, if it was possible, a simple removable battery system so you could just take the flat one out to charge & slip a charged one in as needed -- sorta like a flashlight -- would be great! Flexible. Clean. Effective. If someone could do that -- and make it cheaper to produce than a fixed battery-in-a-bag -- I think they'd be onto something.

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

Last edited:

tdpolo26

Reaction score
Even given all of the above, I would not be surprised to see the D5 before Q4. Because competition drives this market atm. HTC may well give us that primo KB LTE ICS HD SD unencrypted handset. Moto knows that. LG made the vzw flagship "V" -- haven't seen it on tier 1 lately though -- will it be back?

Quick word on batteries: Ideally, if it was possible, a simple removable battery system so you could just take the flat one out to charge & slip a charged one in as needed -- sorta like a flashlight -- would be great! Flexible. Clean. Effective. If someone could do that -- and make it cheaper to produce than a fixed battery-in-a-bag -- I think they'd be onto something.

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )
i think the droid numbering ex 1 2 3 4 ends here
i think they will be called names like the droid jet lol this way it doesnt look like they upgraded so quickly and yes end of quarter 4 is about right for there next physical keyboard phone.

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
Motorola locks their bootloader because verizon makes them, same with the bloatware. I'm prettu sure the d4 will have a locked bootloader. I had a d2g and it ran like a champ(it got stolen and I now have a droid r2d2). I know having a locked bootloader sucks but for us tech savy people we make the best of what we have. I'm running the liberty rom on my phone and not only does it my phone perform better my battery life is way better(same story with my d2g when it was runninf cm7). If you really want an unlocked bootloader just get a nexus they're awesome. Having a physical qwerty keyboard is awesome and is the main reason why I went with a d2 rather than a dx but with phones getting faster and smoother, I wouldn't mind getting the next nexus as my next phone.

What's up with all this arguing, what are we a bunch of kids?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Last edited:

blackmagick20

Reaction score
Motorola locks their bootloader because verizon makes them, same with the bloatware. I'm prettu sure the d4 will have a locked bootloader. I had a d2g and it ran like a champ(it got stolen and I now have a droid r2d2). I know having a locked bootloader sucks but for us tech savy people we make the best of what we have. I'm running the liberty rom on my phone and not only does it my phone perform better my battery life is way better(same story with my d2g when it was runninf cm7). If you really want an unlocked bootloader just get a nexus they're awesome. Having a physical qwerty keyboard is awesome and is the main reason why I went with a d2 rather than a dx but with phones getting faster and smoother, I wouldn't mind getting the next nexus as my next phone.

What's up with all this arguing, what are we a bunch of kids?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

So...why would Verizon only 'make' Motorola lock the bootloader and not HTC or Samsung?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

tdpolo26

Reaction score
the more i think about it all boot loaders are "locked" motorolas are encrypted which make it especially annoying. i started thinking about why any company would want to spend the time and money that it costs to R and D a ui skin for a phone. I really am starting to believe verizon asks the manufacturers too. i mean realistically why waste the money and the headache. it would be so much easier to release vanilla accessible boatloader machines. i think verizon has alot to do with it. i think some of the encryption stuff especially on the droid 4 has alot to do with them wanting to show off a very secure and powerful phone for businesses. i know in the past many companies just didnt trust android and blackberry was it. now it is looking like the end to blackberry and maybe the rise of the droids (cue dramatic starwars music) in the business world. may the force be with you, your credit card, and 2 forms of ID please lol

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
Remember the reason why we have blur, sense, touchwiz etc, is so that companies can stand out from the others and to provide their own spin on the android experience. I agree that stock is the way to go but to the average person maybe they like the unique features that the oem's provide. In my opinion i like blur the best(i cant stand sense, but that's just me). It would be bad if every android device has the same stock vanilla android.

I know that this is a bit off topic but i absolutely love motorola's hardware to me they fit me perfectly, but on the software side of things not so much, if motorola makes the next nexus device that would be awesome.

We dont have to stick with our phones, we could always trade with people or even sell/buy our phones. I've made the decision of getting the next nexus later this year. I know that it'll most likely mean that i'll have to give up my beloved physical keyboard but i think it'll be worth it.

In other words dont rush your purchase, think it through. Do you want the droid 4 even though it'll have a locked bootloader but that physical keyboard is really nice, same thing for the other phones,do i want the nexus that's truely unlockable but i dont have my physical keyboard. We have tons of phones to choose from. No one is forcing you to buy the phone you're getting. Hell for some people the og droid is good enough for them.

Just think it through