Locked bootloader /rant thread

Jboxen

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
So I know we are all very very very very very very very(x859390523901) irritated at Motorola for locking down the Droid 2 and the Droid X.... So now it becomes the turn of the century to even have something like AOSP(Android Open Source Project) on our ANDROID phones.... Yea, that makes sense.

Now don't get me wrong, all of the devs for the Droid 2 and Droid X have made incredible progress for the very little room they were given to make any changes. And for this I thank them as should the whole community. I'm amazed that we have achieved (close to) AOSP and overclocking without replacing the kernel!!

However these devs have GREAT minds and think of what they could get running on our 2nd gen devices with a normal bootloader like on the D1. It would be insane(in a very good way).

So I'm creating this thread to let us all get out what we want to say to Moto for the locked bootloader they have so graciously given to us.

Get to it.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If people start getting out foul language and inappropriate stuff I will be closing this thread.

With that said the only way Motorola will care if it affects their bottom line. Talk is cheap, you dont like the locked bootloaders then do not buy any more motorola products until they unlock them again. Right now we the rom users are the minority. They used us to hype up their product and the momentum has helped when they released thr droid x. The majority of android users can care less about root and roms and that is what blur is for....the mainstream. They locked their bootloaders to protect their property and it does not help when people are going on motorola's forum asking for an sbf so they can unbrick their droid x.
I lie the droid 2, I like AOSP roms to a point, and I like parts of motoblur, but I too do not like the locked bootloaders which is why when my upgrade come up I will look to other manufacturers.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The locked bootloader doesn't bother me one bit. I wouldn't use a custom ROM anyway, I just want to root so I can get rid of bloatware, overclock, and access the apps that I can't access if I wasn't rooted.

Were you surprised that the bootloader was locked? We knew it would be when the X came out so you shouldn't have been.

OP
Jboxen

Jboxen

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
The locked bootloader doesn't bother me one bit. I wouldn't use a custom ROM anyway, I just want to root so I can get rid of bloatware, overclock, and access the apps that I can't access if I wasn't rooted.

Were you surprised that the bootloader was locked? We knew it would be when the X came out so you shouldn't have been.

No I wasn't but I got my D2 as a warrenty replacement for my 4 Droid 1's. Had some bad luck with warrenty replacments. :[ And this locked bootloader is lame. Having to SBF to recover instead of just having ClockworkMod recovery when powering up is the worst. Didn't know it was such a blessing until it was gone, lol. And roms like MIUI which came out literally a day after I received my D2 would be possible. 75% of the fun for me in owning a droid is flashing a new rom twice a week! So I'll be with pc747 in the fact that I'll look elsewhere from moto for my next phone.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No I wasn't but I got my D2 as a warrenty replacement for my 4 Droid 1's. Had some bad luck with warrenty replacments. :[ And this locked bootloader is lame. Having to SBF to recover instead of just having ClockworkMod recovery when powering up is the worst. Didn't know it was such a blessing until it was gone, lol. And roms like MIUI which came out literally a day after I received my D2 would be possible. 75% of the fun for me in owning a droid is flashing a new rom twice a week! So I'll be with pc747 in the fact that I'll look elsewhere from moto for my next phone.

Ahhhh, I see!! Kind of got caught in a catch 22 didn't you?

Well, I'm sure you'll find some other's out there with your situation. At least I understand why you want to rant.

OP
Jboxen

Jboxen

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

Ahhhh, I see!! Kind of got caught in a catch 22 didn't you?

Well, I'm sure you'll find some other's out there with your situation. At least I understand why you want to rant.

Yea, I sure did. I just see the potential of this phone with an unlocked bootloader. It would be nice.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
to be honest the d2 is a nice phone and with p3 leaked 3.0.0 its even nicer because of the profiles. to me it is a phone I will keep and am glad I got it as a warranty replacement for my d1. With that said I would not upgrade to it.....its not worth being locked down 2 years with a d2.

OP
Jboxen

Jboxen

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Not sure what the leaked 3.0.0 is or does really but I'm content with GummyJar as of now. Battery life is 4x better.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I can't say the locked bootloader is bothering me, either. Fission works fine around it.

mkw87

Reaction score
to be honest the d2 is a nice phone and with p3 leaked 3.0.0 its even nicer because of the profiles. to me it is a phone I will keep and am glad I got it as a warranty replacement for my d1. With that said I would not upgrade to it.....its not worth being locked down 2 years with a d2.

I agree with what you just said. I also got mine as a warranty replacement, my D1 kept rebooting. I like the D2 a lot, but wouldn't upgrade to it from the D1 if it required a 2 year contract + $200.

I don't like the locked bootloader either, but my main complaint is that the GPS mount and otterbox case I have don't fit it. The phone is nearly identical on the outside, they could have been nice and made it fit inside D1 cases / mounts.

miketoasty

Reaction score
The problem is that motorola couldn't care about the 5 percent of people who root etc. Its the other users that are completely oblivious to this that they want to make happy which sadly means a locked bootloader.

With that I am not too worried about it. If I do screw anything I have a nandroid backup.... worst case scenario a 15 minute sbf run. Which is annoying but worth it to play around. I would upgrade to this phone just because of its speed and all of the roms that work around the locked bootloader.

Finally alot of people only care because they just want everything open. They want complete freedom and when anything is *locked* they want it open. I would LOVE for it to be open but will deal without it.
Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

droidmatic

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to the droid world, so I can't really speak to the specifics about bootloader, the d1, etc. I can say though, that like any other corporation, moto has its bottom line to look out for.

So I guess the egg heads over there just decided that apparently they would save enough money by locking the d2 down that it was worth pissing off all the devs and early adopters that were really excited to begin with. Can't say I agree, but who the hell am I? Besides, now that smartphones are pretty common and droid has a lot of brand awareness, I guess they aren't as worried about the rooters, devs, etc.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App