Locked bootloader AND a non removable battery?

ThisIsMyName

Reaction score
Who else is disappointed by this? I was all excited about this phone but these were the last two nails in the coffin. I'm just going to get the Samsung Stratosphere. I don't even care that it's slower than my Droid 3, I'm done with Motorola and I have to have a decent phone with a QWERTY keyboard.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's a known fact that the Droid 4 would have a nonremovable battery. Also it shouldn't come as a surprise that the bootloader is locked. The OG Droid and the Xoom are the only exceptions here in the US.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

destin246

Reaction score
Wine some more it isn't that bad all motos phones have roms with locked bootloaders.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

tdpolo26

Reaction score
yeah really....why do people start these threads it is in every thread thankyou for your input we all know that it is locked and that there is a nonremovable batter. Iphone has one and i dont here them crying all the time (i have several friends with them)... besides it is not completely non removable just annoying to change, and you can buy external cells that are the size of a deck of cards that can run ur cell phone for a very long time. Besides free tethering and a bit of theming (which you can do in ics) there isnt much purpose in rooting and roms. I am not saying i wont do it, but the gains of the past were much greater being able to overclock and fix some of the huge short commings and flaws of the earlier Android operating system most of these issues have been elimnated though with ics. BTW good luck getting some support for the stratosphere i highly doubt that it has a huge following and surely no custom kernels and the bootloader is also locked. But if it is what you want enjoy :)

destin246

Reaction score
yeah really....why do people start these threads it is in every thread thankyou for your input we all know that it is locked and that there is a nonremovable batter. Iphone has one and i dont here them crying all the time (i have several friends with them)... besides it is not completely non removable just annoying to change, and you can buy external cells that are the size of a deck of cards that can run ur cell phone for a very long time. Besides free tethering and a bit of theming (which you can do in ics) there isnt much purpose in rooting and roms. I am not saying i wont do it, but the gains of the past were much greater being able to overclock and fix some of the huge short commings and flaws of the earlier Android operating system most of these issues have been elimnated though with ics. BTW good luck getting some support for the stratosphere i highly doubt that it has a huge following and surely no custom kernels and the bootloader is also locked. But if it is what you want enjoy :)

Took the words out of my mouth.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
ThisIsMyName

ThisIsMyName

Reaction score
It's a known fact that the Droid 4 would have a nonremovable battery. Also it shouldn't come as a surprise that the bootloader is locked. The OG Droid and the Xoom are the only exceptions here in the US.

It is now a known fact that the battery is not removable, you're saying that like it was known from the start. The bootloader is not a surprise, just a disappointment.

OP
ThisIsMyName

ThisIsMyName

Reaction score

What? Who said ANYTHING about the iPhone? The Stratosphere does not have a locked bootloader and there are full custom ROMs for it already, check Rootzwiki if you don't believe me. Have you seen ICS on a locked down Motorola phone? Are you OK with having Motorola deciding when your phone can no longer receive full updates (probably shortly after the Droid 5 comes out in 6 months)? If so, why?

So far every response to this post has been ignorant and/or irrational, it reminds me of seeing iPhone fanboy posts.

TC_Mits

Reaction score
Wow, sure is fanboy in here.

+1 yes, I share your disappointment.

At least you didn't have to pay a shilling for their thoughts. ;-o

It amazes me that the obvious and grand stupidity of using a more expensive, fragile, and dangerous battery-in-a-plastic-bag for zero-zip-zilch performance or price advantage to the user *except* a skinnier more "RAZR"-like phone AND then calling the added bulk, weight, bother, and expense of an add-on portable charger a "solution" could be lost on these types. Hell, how could anyone not see it?

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

Last edited:

tdpolo26

Reaction score
What? Who said ANYTHING about the iPhone? The Stratosphere does not have a locked bootloader and there are full custom ROMs for it already, check Rootzwiki if you don't believe me. Have you seen ICS on a locked down Motorola phone? Are you OK with having Motorola deciding when your phone can no longer receive full updates (probably shortly after the Droid 5 comes out in 6 months)? If so, why?

So far every response to this post has been ignorant and/or irrational, it reminds me of seeing iPhone fanboy posts.

i def brought up the iphone it is def not the phone for me i have friends that have it and my wife has one and the battery last forever i was reading somewhere that sometimes those types of batteries perform better due to the battery having a better contact with the board. im sorry i dont have a link it may not even be true that has yet to be seen
The stratosphere does have a UNLOCKED bootloader i was wrong and i appologize for that i was searching last night and a forum said it was locked and i obviously dont have a device to test with. so that is def cool i like that alot, and after searching a bit more it does have some custom stuff so that is also cool not alot yet but it does seem to have a small loyal following.
I am def not ok with motorola controlling the updates but as everyone says every bootloader has been defeated and custom roms and kernels have been made for most droids. i can still put things on my og droid (which was the best device they made by far) and my droid 2 global which has there infamous locked bootloader (and yes it annoys the hell out of me)
i think my real point was and i got lost in my rant was its nothing new and this thread has already had different postings of the same name all over the forum so i didnt really see the point. i am not a fanboy (although i do love the movie, watch it if you have time :) ) of motorola but i do like the hardware (minus the battery) of this device. if htc or samsung makes something comparable good bye motorola i just didnt like the feel of the stratosphere i dont know why i just didnt, and if i dont like the feel of the droid 4 i may be waiting for something else.
i hope the stratosphere works out well def has some good points to it. I really wish some manufacturer could melt a gnex razr and droid together taking all the fine points that would be a phone most people could agree on!!!!!

Last edited:

tdpolo26

Reaction score
+1 yes, I share your disappointment.

At least you didn't have to pay a shilling for their thoughts. ;-o

It amazes me that the obvious and grand stupidity of using a more expensive, fragile, and dangerous battery-in-a-plastic-bag for zero-zip-zilch performance or price advantage to the user *except* a skinnier more "RAZR"-like phone AND then calling the added bulk, weight, bother, and expense of an add-on portable charger a "solution" could be lost on these types. Hell, how could anyone not see it?

( By DX w/DF app. )
We have all seen the battery and we all agree it is annoying that it is that way. it is discussed in the main release thread, the skeptical unimpressed thread, it is most likely discussed in about every thread over 8 comments my point was there is no need for another one and its kinda annoying everyone keeps comming over just to point out a feature that is bad, every phone has them. I really dont like a non removable battery its a piss off, but its been discussed in several threads. to me its as bad as the "why bother the droid 5 will be out in 4 months" the joke is old and not very funny to start with. the droid 3 was obiviously a mistake i dont think they really thought about how quick the lte 4g network would be in service and then were pressured into getting a 4g slide phone into action. i do agree they have to slow down though.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Yeah, the phone will have custom roms but not custom kernels. Also, the gains used to be from overclocking but now they come from underclocking and undervolting. Saves me a ton of battery life. However, with those things said, I do think the Droid 4 will be a good device for those who need a hardware keyboard. Plus, Motorola has already said they plan to slow down with releases so it'll probably get better support then phones that came out last year.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

TC_Mits

Reaction score
We have all seen the battery...

...the droid 3 was obiviously a mistake i dont think they really thought about how quick the lte 4g network would be in service and then were pressured into getting a 4g slide phone into action. i do agree they have to slow down though.

Actually, almost no one has "seen the battery", it's kept very well hidden -- another oddity about this release. But I get your point.

I hope you're right about the D4 rush job. It could mean that it just felt the easy-quick solution was to make two phones from one design by grafting a KB onto the w-i-p RAZR. IF - that's how it went down, then maybe the stupidity of unreplaceable batteries will hit home so it won't try that again and the LTE power issues will be addressed instead.

( By DX w/DF app. )

tdpolo26

Reaction score
Actually, almost no one has "seen the battery", it's kept very well hidden -- another oddity about this release. But I get your point.

I hope you're right about the D4 rush job. It could mean that it just felt the easy-quick solution was to make two phones from one design by grafting a KB onto the w-i-p RAZR. IF - that's how it went down, then maybe the stupidity of unreplaceable batteries will hit home so it won't try that again and the LTE power issues will be addressed instead.

( By DX w/DF app. )

i dont know but it def feels like that is what they did was make a razr into a droid with kb. i started thinking about it and i kinda wonder if they really didnt want to do a droid 3. i mean the phone is such a after thought. i wonder if they really wanted to release the droid 4 we have now as the droid 3 and have it be one of the first lte devices. my guess was verizon wasnt sure when lte would light up or how it would work and said hold off and release something quickly hence the current droid 3. then moto wanted to drop the 4 earlier and fanbase and verizon said it was to soon, which it def was