Locked Boot Loader On Droid 3

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Why is everyone in a uproar. Didn't they Break the Locked DX which was locked and encrypted. So I do not see the D3 or The Bionic locked for long...

Nope, the DX is still locked. CM7 can run on it because of, if i'm not mistaken, a 2nd init taking place. I believe that lets changes happen to the kernel after the stock kernel has booted. But it is still very much locked still.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Like I said before google needs to have certain requirements to make sure we don't get buggy software like blur. Blur should have never been put on a device the way it is now. It is killing the android user experience. If we didn't have to deal with blur then I wouldn't care as much about rooting. The iphone while very limited doesn't have issues like blur does do to poor software engineers. Sorry for the rant.

Sent from my fascinate

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Wait it has Cytrix!?!? I bet it's one of those apps that runs constantly for no good reason and can't be unnstalled! Why bother with a free alternative? I just hope that it has all of the blur apps I've come to expect! Oh, wait, no: GO TO HELL VERIZON, MOTOROLA, AND GOOLE!

Nokia, take me away.

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
In addition, look at how many ROM's are available for the Droid X and Droid 2. I would hardly call that "stuck" with stock. CyanogenMod Roms are being refined currently, and there is little doubt that stability will be reached eventually. The only challenge I see right now is overclocking and optimized kernels.

The Thunderbolt is probably amongst the hardest phones to root and hack. Yes, the bootloader has been cracked, but still no stable CM7 for it? Sense is caked so heavily onto the phone and all of the coding, I'd imagine that creating a stable AOSP ROM would be very tough.

For those of us who want a phone that "just works", Motorola is the way to go. I can't wait for the Bionic, locked bootloader or not.

It took nearly a year to get CM on DX so who knows how long on D3...

The TB is not hard to root at all or hack, the issue with CM not being official is that they cannot merge the RIL because it breaks other phones. It's due to the fact that it is the first phone with an LTE radio so all the work has to be done from scratch... CM come to TB fairly quick and root and roms were quick out of the gate.

On a side note sense has nothing to do with the issue with AOSP roms being so late on TB it is due again to the RIL that has to be done from scratch. The CM RIL from slayer was done first but I'm pretty sure it hasn't been and probably won't be released until it becomes part of the CM main source tree. Otherwise there would have been AOSP roms soon after CM because they would have had a working RIL... The TB is a first of kind and the radio is what makes everything take so long not sense or that it's locked.

Anyway I hope Moto keeps to their work and unlocks future phones and updates locked models to allow for unlocking. I like moto but like an unlocked phone more... ;)

creaky

Reaction score
So I suppose that means that any LTE phone wont be getting CM anytime soon. I'd really like to see it on the Bionic.....

sent from my Cyanogenmodded X

Sweettooth

Reaction score
The lack of 4G is very important for me because A) I, like many others, are going to be grandfathered in with our unlimited plans and B) I live in Dallas, TX and um...pretty sure we have 4G here already lol. ;)

Aside from that I'm still trying to decide if I want another slider or if I have, over the course of using the D1 since 12/09, ready to switch to an all-touch keyboard. I'm more interested to see how the Bionic does or does not stand out against the pack.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Why is everyone in a uproar. Didn't they Break the Locked DX which was locked and encrypted. So I do not see the D3 or The Bionic locked for long...

No uproar here my friend, I couldn't be happier with my current phone. Moto met my standards with the OG, now I'm moving on.....and maybe I'll come back to Moto someday. It's like I never left them because all other Android phones in my house are Moto.

Sent by my Bolt powered by Thunder

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
The lack of 4G is very important for me because A) I, like many others, are going to be grandfathered in with our unlimited plans and B) I live in Dallas, TX and um...pretty sure we have 4G here already lol. ;).

I don't think you will be grandfathered in if you get a new phone and sign a new 2 year agreement 3G or 4G.

Phreaker47

Reaction score
The lack of 4G is very important for me because A) I, like many others, are going to be grandfathered in with our unlimited plans and B) I live in Dallas, TX and um...pretty sure we have 4G here already lol. ;).

I don't think you will be grandfathered in if you get a new phone and sign a new 2 year agreement 3G or 4G.

Anyone currently on a data plan will be grandfathered in with an upgrade, according to all the info we've had.

Now that the 7th has come and gone, though, I'd like to hear some people actually confirm this.

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09

Anyone currently on a data plan will be grandfathered in with an upgrade, according to all the info we've had.

Now that the 7th has come and gone, though, I'd like to hear some people actually confirm this.

I would like confirmation on this as well. Documents published so far clearly state that only New Customers and people trading up to a smartphone, will NOT be grandfathered in. If you are going from 3G-3G or 3G-4G or 4G-3G or 4G-4G you WILL be allowed to keep your unlimited data plan.

JimmySVT

Reaction score
ok, so far from the thread of "who else ordered a D3 today?" It seems to be the consensus that they are grandfathering in the people that already have unlimited. Many reports in the thread of people ordering the new D3 and keeping unlimited data. Also teh bootloader is locked yes. But supposedly its not encrypted. Only locked like the Xoom, so it should be unlockable the same way. We are just waiting on the Devs to get their devices to crack it. Everyone seems to think that this phone is just a smaller Xoom with Gingerbread instead of Honeycomb. I just don't understand why the heck the tablets get all the newer OS's and the phones get stuck with old news.