Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
DROID3 Is Released With A Locked Bootloader According To Motorola Forum Manager

Motorola Forums Manager has just announced that the DROID3 bootloader is locked, as previous Motorola devices. The Bionic would more then likely follow suit. Although this may upset some of those in our Developer community. I personally do not think it would be a problem now that the DROIDX and the DROID Incredible 2 are getting CyanogenMod.

Source

Last edited:

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Locked bootloader and no 4G means that the only thing going for this phone is Gingerbread and the processor.

sent from my ApeX

GeLopez

Reaction score
Locked bootloader means money in my pocket. I wonder if any other phone wants my money.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
are you really surprised ??

comk4ver

Reaction score
Has motorola even announced what phone will be unlocked? I think it'll probably be Q4 or even 2012 before we see unlocked bootloaders again...

Sent from my DROIDX

Beardface

Reaction score
Locked? Ok, thats fine, it can still be broken, and likely will be. What I want to know is whether the D3 and Bionic are going to have encrypted bootloaders.

Thunderbolt was locked, but that was broken within a couple weeks. Biggest reason it was is cause it wasn't encrypted, and thank god for that.

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How important in the lack of 4G to most people though? We still don't have it in my area.. :(

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
How important in the lack of 4G to most people though? We still don't have it in my area.. :(

Verizon is on course to provide 4G to all the areas currently on the 3G network by the end of 2012. So Happy now, sad later with the Droid 3.

sent from my ApeX

daggar

Reaction score
Have a Droid 2, locked bootloader means no Droid 3

I wasn't planning on upgrading for another year anyway, and this seals it. When I buy a new phone, any phone that doesn't run Cyanogen on the day I want to buy will be out of consideration. (I'm locked into Cyanogen itself; it's just a useful barometer for how healthy the ROM community is for a given model.) By the time I buy, D3 will have been hacked, so I might confuse the VZW guy when I pass up on the (locked) D4 to buy a year-old model.

And they can have my unlimited data plan when they pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

TheOldFart

Reaction score

daggar

Reaction score
Oh, such drama. :rofl3: No prying would be necessary. All they would have to do is stop it when your current contract is over if they want.

Quite right, and of course their collusion with AT&T destroys any market incentive for them not to. All the more reason they need to be regulated like utilities instead of hamstringing the communications of the whole country for the benefit of their quarterly earnings.