Locked android market

Guja

Reaction score
I have a UK milestone, but am in Slovenia. I've got used to not having access to paid apps in the market. What bothers me is that some of the free apps are missing from the market. Is there any solution for that? + Where could I find a version of the google maps with buzz?

big_adventure

Reaction score
I have a UK milestone, but am in Slovenia. I've got used to not having access to paid apps in the market. What bothers me is that some of the free apps are missing from the market. Is there any solution for that? + Where could I find a version of the google maps with buzz?

The problem is that paid apps are not your problem - protected apps are your problem. Many free apps are protected.

I don't know that anyone has bothered to pull the APK for Google Maps 4.0 for Android. Here is the file directly lifted from /data/app on my phone. I do not know if it is installable like this - try it.

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

OP
Guja

Guja

Reaction score
big_advanture thanks for the maps. Gr8 app. Now I now who ta ask if I need a protected app. I hope this market thing gets resolved soon.

big_adventure

Reaction score
big_advanture thanks for the maps. Gr8 app. Now I now who ta ask if I need a protected app. I hope this market thing gets resolved soon.

By the way, if you root your phone, you can install Market Enabler (I don't need it, but if you search, you'll find it...), which enables protected and paid apps for anyone. Apparently it works perfectly.

OP
Guja

Guja

Reaction score
Already installed :D Works gr8.

OP
Guja

Guja

Reaction score
I've tried rooting today, but the stone said that te signature wasn't correct. where can I get the proper update file for UK 2.0.1 milestone?

big_adventure

Reaction score
I've tried rooting today, but the stone said that te signature wasn't correct. where can I get the proper update file for UK 2.0.1 milestone?

As far as I know, this update.zip will work perfectly:

AllDroid - View topic - Milestone Root

The UK 2.0.1 is a 1.14 version, and it still had the hackable recovery - meaning it does not verify the signature on an encapsulating zip file around the stock update. So any update.zip can be used, as long as it has been properly modified to just copy and set rights on su and SuperUser.apk.

Maybe the version that you downloaded was corrupted? Try unzipping it on your PC/Mac/Linux system to see if it is a viable file.

OP
Guja

Guja

Reaction score
I've successfuly rooted just seconds before you posted your reply. Installed the market enabler. Works gr8. :D

OP
Guja

Guja

Reaction score
Now how do I overclock it. The app in the market doesn't work, it keeps crashing

big_adventure

Reaction score
Now how do I overclock it. The app in the market doesn't work, it keeps crashing

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

The simple answer is that you do not overclock it.

To get a bit more detailed, even though we have root on the Milestone, we cn't change the kernel, and without a changed kernel, we can't overclock.

If you want to know why, Motorola implemented a signature checking feature in the chipset for the bootloader and for recovery - if the bootloader is not properly signed, the chipset won't start it. They then have the bootloader refuse to load unsigned kernels. We COULD change either, but then the phone would not boot. So far, nobody has found a way around this limitation.

Sorry...