Lock screen pin keys slow response

grimbergen

Reaction score
Not sure if this is an S6 issue or android related, but the keypad for the pin on the lock screen is very slow in registering taps. It comes down to 2 issues – if I go too fast it misses registering one of the pin#s, and/or it has a very small area where a # can be touched.

I don’t have this problem with any other part of the phone (i.e. when it is unlocked) – everything else responds as expected to my touch in the OS or any apps. Even after a full reset back to stock this persists.

I had an s3 previously and never experienced this kind of issue. Anyone seen this, and/or any advice to improve?

Thanks!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
That does sound puzzling grimbergen. It definitely does not seem that the lock screen should be less effective. Have you tried using the fingerprint unlock instead. It is very secure and much faster than using the swipe method or the pin method.

I am guessing many S6 edge owners will also chime in regarding their pin unlock experiences.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

android222

Reaction score
I have the exact same issue with my LG Leon, Android 5.1.1.

The lock screen numeric PIN is extremely sluggish and usually misses key presses. It's almost unusable.

If I switch to an alphabetic password, the lock screen is crisp and works great. (But I prefer a numeric PIN)

Any suggested fixes?

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I've noticed the S6's touchscreen to be less sensitive than previous devices in general. I don't know if this has anything to do with your issue as I've not used the numeric PIN lock screen since getting the S6...but I have noticed with mine just general touchscreen use seems to not be that touchy. Sometimes I've really gotta "press" on the screen to make a touch gesture register. A quick, light tap doesn't seem to do enough.

android222

Reaction score
Update: Found it. The issue was simply that the device memory was almost exhausted. To see that:
  1. Enable Developer Options
  2. In Developer Options, look at Process Stats
I saw "Device memory is currently critical"

There was no single big offender, so I removed as much bloatware as possible, rebooted, and now the lock screen is very crisp. Process stats reports that device memory is normal.

BTW, when the problem occurred, I also noticed that the phone dialer keys were operating very sluggishly.

Hope this helps.

I have the exact same issue with my LG Leon, Android 5.1.1.

The lock screen numeric PIN is extremely sluggish and usually misses key presses. It's almost unusable.

If I switch to an alphabetic password, the lock screen is crisp and works great. (But I prefer a numeric PIN)

Any suggested fixes?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks for the update, android222!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk