Lock screen inexplicably changed

Arachnyd

Reaction score
I have always had my lock screen as the default slider, but it has suddenly changed to the pattern screen. I have never actually set a pattern, so all I have to do is touch the screen and it unlocks. I went into Settings -> Location and Security but I can't find a way to set it back to the original slider. Does anyone know how to do this?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I have always had my lock screen as the default slider, but it has suddenly changed to the pattern screen. I have never actually set a pattern, so all I have to do is touch the screen and it unlocks. I went into Settings -> Location and Security but I can't find a way to set it back to the original slider. Does anyone know how to do this?

Wow...Good question. If you never set a password, the choice to require the pattern isn't even available to make in the settings...

Have you tried creating one and then disabling the require option? Not sure if it'll work, but it's worth a try...

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
hold up guys.. he CAN get it to unlock.. that's not the problem.. he just wants the screen back to what it was. hacku has the right solution (i think)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
hold up guys.. he CAN get it to unlock.. that's not the problem.. he just wants the screen back to what it was. hacku has the right solution (i think)

Well, I assumed that, because he said he'd gone into settings>location and security, he'd seen that part and it WAS unchecked...

The pattern can't be set to be required unless one was setup, and he swears he never set one up.

If all he has to do is touch the screen, a pattern has not been set correctly, because the pattern requires you connect at least four dots before it will let you save it.

This is why my first suggestion was to create a pattern and then uncheck the box. If it's currently dimmed out because he never set one, that's the best way to gain access to the option of requiring a pattern or not...right...?

Not trying to start an argument by any means, just clarifying what I understood from reading his post and why I suggested what I did in the order that I did!

Glad to know you're looking out!

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Well, I assumed that, because he said he'd gone into settings>location and security, he'd seen that part and it WAS unchecked...

The pattern can't be set to be required unless one was setup, and he swears he never set one up.

If all he has to do is touch the screen, a pattern has not been set correctly, because the pattern requires you connect at least four dots before it will let you save it.

This is why my first suggestion was to create a pattern and then uncheck the box. If it's currently dimmed out because he never set one, that's the best way to gain access to the option of requiring a pattern or not...right...?

Not trying to start an argument by any means, just clarifying what I understood from reading his post and why I suggested what I did in the order that I did!

Glad to know you're looking out!

oh yeah, you are right.. i was talking about the battery pull and reset suggestions. those aren't necessary, but you are right on ;)

CatsTide

Reaction score
oh yeah, you are right.. i was talking about the battery pull and reset suggestions. those aren't necessary, but you are right on ;)
battery pulls are fun and easy and often help ;)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks

Haha! Yeah...They are...But I'd try the easy way first and monkey with the settings. No need going overboard until it's time...:icon_ banana:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score

*LOL* I never do a battery pull on my Droid unless it hardlocks. Being a Linux device, that can mess up the filesystem. I do a normal shutdown, and restart; or I use the "three-finger salute" - Left Shift + Left Alt + Del

Or, if i'm feeling lazy i'll launch terminal and type reboot

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks

*LOL* I never do a battery pull on my Droid unless it hardlocks. Being a Linux device, that can mess up the filesystem. I do a normal shutdown, and restart; or I use the "three-finger salute" - Left Shift + Left Alt + Del

Or, if i'm feeling lazy i'll launch terminal and type reboot

Wow. I'm...wow..."three-finger salute"...I know nothing...I need to become an Android apprentice. I want to learn Java and make apps...and I want to know simple things like that...wow...Haha! Thank you.