Lock screen help.

Rezael

Reaction score
Im running lib gb v.7 with that crimson storm theme I want a transparent or red hue lock screen how do I go about doing this. Or if its too complicated can you guys send me In the direction of a guide. Thanks ahead of time.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
Rezael

Rezael

Reaction score
Noone knows how to customize the lock screen manually?

kilahimm

Reaction score
You'll need to get framework-res.apk from your device, should be able to grab it with adb. It can be found in /system/framework/. Then open framework-res.apk with 7zip and go to the /res/drawable-hdpi/ and locate the zz_moto_gradient_bg.png file. That's the one you'll need to edit. When you've made the desired changes you can use either Ninjamorph or Metamorph to swap it onto your device.

OP
Rezael

Rezael

Reaction score
Wow looks like im going to need more guidance. Know any thorough guides? Can I do this. From my phone or on my pc?

kilahimm

Reaction score
Ok, so here is a quick and dirty guide for grabbing apks from your phone, opening them to edit image files on your computer, and then adding them back through Metamorph. ***Note: this only applies to .png files in the apk, there are additional steps necessary to modify a .9.png file*** Do this all at your own risk!

Applications you'll need:
Root Explorer (or another file manager the super user access) on your phone
Dropbox on your phone
Metamorph on your phone
Gimp (or another image edit) on your computer
Dropbox on your computer
7zip on your computer

In this case I'll describe the process for the zz_moto_gradient_bg.png since that's the file in question for this thread.

On your phone: (Getting the apk with images you'd like to modify)
1) Open dropbox and choose Upload -> Any file -> Select your file manager of choice which has super user access
2) Navigate to /system/framework/framework-res.apk

On your computer: (Editing the apk images)
1) Open your dropbox folder and locate the framework-res.apk file
2) Extract the framework-res.apk file with 7zip
3) Navigate the newly extracted archive to framework-res/res/drawable-hdpi/zz_moto_gradient_bg.png
4) Open zz_moto_gradient_bg.png with gimp and make your changes

One your computer: (Creating the metamorph - I've included a metamorph as an attachment with the standard liberty lockscreen background as a reference for the format)
1) Create a new folder with a project name, in this case I'll use: LockscreenGB
2) Within the LockscreenGB folder create a text document named: LockscreenGB.xml
3) Within the LockscreenGB folder create a folder named: framework-res
4) Within the framework-res folder create a folder named: res
5) Within the res folder create a folder named: drawable-hdpi
6) Place the file you've edited in this case: zz_moto_gradient_bg.png in the drawable-hdpi folder
7) Return to the LockScreenGB.xml file and open it in a text editor, this will be an instruction file for metamorph
Blank Sample:
<?xml version="1.0"?>

<themename>Enter_Theme_Name</themename>
<themeversion>Enter_Version_Number</themeversion>
<author>Enter_Author_Name</author>
<phone>Enter_Device_Type</phone>
<rom>Enter_Rom_Type</rom>

<item>Enter_APK_Name</item>
<path>Enter_Path</path>
<description>Enter_Description</description>
<notes>Enter_Notes</notes>

Example For this modification:
<?xml version="1.0"?>

<themename>LockscreenGB</themename>
<themeversion>v0.1</themeversion>
<author>Kilahimm</author>
<phone>Motorola Droid X</phone>
<rom>Any Rom</rom>

<item>framework-res.apk</item>
<path>/system/framework/</path>
<description>(Requires Reboot)</description>

<notes>Lockscreen B/W themed</notes>
8) Save the .xml file when you're done editing it
9) Zip the contents of the LockscreenGB folder so that you have a LockscreenGB.zip file. If you open that file you should see a framework-res folder and a LockscreenGB.xml file. If that is the case place that file in the dropbox folder of your computer.

On your phone: (Applying the metamorph)
1) Start here by making an nandroid back in case something goes wrong (it can!)
2) Open dropbox and download the LockscreenGB.zip file
3) Open metamorph and let it run it's checks
4) Choose Unzip/Extract new theme
5) Navigate to /scard/dropbox/LockscreenGB.zip
6) Metamorph will present you with the descriptive information you entered into the xml file
7) If you are satisfied with what you read choose: Apply All!
It will apply and then present you with the option to reboot since you're modifying framework-res.apk. (if you edit something like systemui.apk you won't get prompted and instead may get repeated force closes, in this case you'll need to pull the battery to reboot so allow the changes to take effect)

These steps are just one way to go about making some theme related changes that don't involve .9.png's. It's only just one man's method for accomplishing the task. If you have questions about the steps I laid out here let me know, you should be able to apply the method beyond this one example.

Last edited:
OP
Rezael

Rezael

Reaction score
Thanks for the easy to understand guide. I will try this tonight when I get home from work