1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Lock in Memory - but only when I want?

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by AndyMcDroid, Jul 3, 2011.

1. AndyMcDroid

AndyMcDroid New Member

One issue I've had with Gingerbread ROMs is that apps get killed to readily. I would like to prevent this from happening with Slacker, but only if I want it to be running. I don't necessarily want Slacker in memory all the time, I just want it to not get killed while it's playing music.

Is there any way to make this happen in 5.4?
  2. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay New Member

That's interesting, so slacker gets shut off when its running? I use Pandora and have never had it shut off while it was streaming music. Seems as though you are very tight on ram if that's the case. Are you running the v6 supercharger script. I'd think that would help free up ram so slacker can run while other services are in use as well.

Sent from OG Droid sporting SS5.4 w/HoneyGingerComb and Chevy's lv1.0ghz kernal
  3. Snow02

Snow02 New Member

There is a task manager app, but I forget which one, that let's you set the oom level for individual apps.
  4. AndyMcDroid

AndyMcDroid New Member

I'm aware of the script, but never paid much attention enough to know exactly what it does or if it would benefit me. I'll take a look. Thanks.
  5. Trips555

Trips555 New Member

I agree though... an option like that would be great. I like to super-multitask... like Poweramp, navigation, and browser all at once... so I put poweramp locked in to make sure it doesn't get shut down. But when its off, it still locks in. I have Supercharge too, but there's only so much one script can do! Being able to only lock when its active would be awesome!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  6. AndyMcDroid

AndyMcDroid New Member

For unrelated reasons, I tried the "lock in memory" setting with Copilot Live - a relatively huge app that tends to exit and subsequently restart when interrupted by a phone call or switching to another app. With this setting, the app remains in memory when interrupted, but actually exits when I tell it to, and it no longer remains in memory. And, it doesn't start up when the phone boots like Slacker did with the same setting.

So it would seem that the "lock in memory" setting only prevents Android from killing the app, but does not prevent the app from self-terminating. Can anyone confirm this?

If only more apps actually exited when exit them, then this would work just the way I want.
  7. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

It definitely is how the app is programmed - for example - by default, pressing the 'back' button STILL leaves most apps in memory. I changed ChevyNo1Tools to actually EXIT from memory on the back button, but STAY in when the home button is pressed ...

That being said - you CAN use the long-press on back button to effectively kill/remove the app from memory ...
  8. AndyMcDroid

AndyMcDroid New Member

Even when it's set to "lock in memory"?
  9. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Yes - the 'lock in memory' applies only to Android's process of killing apps when memory is short - the 'longpress on back' acts apart from that ...
  10. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay New Member

I'm a little confused? What's the difference between exiting the app and killing the app? If you are exiting it from memory, aren't you killing it? I know when I tap back in an app it is still shown under running services until it decides it doesn't need to be running anymore.

Also, what effect does the long press to kill app in the development settings have on all this. That seems to remove it from running services.

Sent from OG Droid sporting SS5.4 w/HoneyGingerComb and Chevy's lv1.0ghz kernal
  11. AndyMcDroid

AndyMcDroid New Member

I believe exiting the app is when the app self-terminates - releasing memory and terminating its own processes - like when you close an app on your computer, and that killing an app is something that's done from outside the app, either by another app or by Android itself - like using Task Manager in Windows, or System Monitor in Ubuntu to terminate an app or its processes.
  12. Trips555

Trips555 New Member

Considering this revelation, (which makes things so much better for me!) is it possible, Chevy, to stick a confirmation for the app kill? There was one on another ROM (forget which) and it made the back button easier, since there were less mistaken killing... of course, if possible you could always add an option to prompt? I'm not sure how difficult it is, so I don't know if I'm asking a lot or a little.
  13. AndyMcDroid

AndyMcDroid New Member

Or maybe have the behavior of the back button (without holding it) be configurable on an app-by-app basis?

I can feel myself being slowly pulled into the Droid 3 vortex - so please don't count this as a request from me.
Search tags for this page
how to disable locked in memory?
how to lock an app in memory on android
how to remove locked apps in memory on android

lock app in memory android

lock app in ram android
lock in memory android
lock+application+in+memory android

memory lock app

memory lok apps