Location toggle

mach330

Reaction score
Ok I noticed that the GPS toggle is on and it's been replaced by location. I always have it off to save battery. Beforehand I can use wireless networks location to locate without GPS. For using yelp for example I don't have to have GPS. Now I feel like i always have to have location enabled. But now I'll waste battery. Or does it know when to use GPS and when to use wireless network?

Tap'd via Note 4...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If you long press that toggle, it will bring you into location settings, where you can select the mode (high accuracy, power saving, GPS only). Then you can leave it on, but use less power.

Sent from my Note 4

OP
mach330

mach330

Reaction score
Thank you but I have to do that everytime I want to use GPS. I liked the old way of having a GPS toggle. Then if it's not on it'll use wireless network.

I would like to always use wireless network until I chose to use GPS when I use navigation.

Tap'd via Note 4...

OP
mach330

mach330

Reaction score
Note 2.yeah I noticed my wife's s4 is the same way. That sux. Oh well. Gotta just go back forth.

Tap'd via Note 4...

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Simply leaving GPS on all the time actually doesn't drain your battery. When turned on, the GPS isn't always running. It only runs when an app or a process accesses it. So by turning it on, you're not actually turning it on. You're enabling it to be turned on when something needs to use it. Many apps and processes will automatically use wireless networks (aGPS) to determine your location over GPS, so it also won't be constantly turning on and off.

I've always left GPS enabled since the days of the original Droid, and I've never had it negatively impact battery life. If a rogue app is always using it, that will impact battery life, but that's the fault of the app.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Simply leaving GPS on all the time actually doesn't drain your battery. When turned on, the GPS isn't always running. It only runs when an app or a process accesses it. So by turning it on, you're not actually turning it on. You're enabling it to be turned on when something needs to use it. Many apps and processes will automatically use wireless networks (aGPS) to determine your location over GPS, so it also won't be constantly turning on and off.

I've always left GPS enabled since the days of the original Droid, and I've never had it negatively impact battery life. If a rogue app is always using it, that will impact battery life, but that's the fault of the app.
Same here. I leave it on.

Sent from my Note 4