Location set by Gps issue

jaxager

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I have a Moto Droid 4 that I updated via OTA a few days ago. About two days after I updated the phone it started constantly trying to find a GPS signal. It will flash "Searching for GPS" briefly in the notification area, then immediately go to "Location set by GPS." It will do this non-stop. I can't have my GPS enabled because it will drain a fully charged battery in less than two hours. I am rooted running stock jelly bean... Thanks in advance for your infinite wisdom...

OP
J

jaxager

Reaction score
Wow. 161 views and no advice from anyone. Bummer.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

GigaJake

Reaction score
Ditch motoblur and install a custom rom.

Probably not the advice you wanted, but it's all I can offer because I'm never using stock. Hopefully someone else can more accurately answer your question. Patience.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

OP
J

jaxager

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It looks like a custom ROM may be my next step. I used to install a lot of different custom ROMS on my old Droid X, but I've not done a custom ROM on my Droid 4 yet. Do you have any recommendations for a stable ROM for the D4 running jelly bean? Any advice is greatly appreciated...

GigaJake

Reaction score
Liquid smooth is my favorite. They released an "official" build that seems decent. Supposedly the wifi works, but I haven't had much luck with it. I also get reboots periodically. I did dirty flash though, so don't take my case to be everyones.

Cyanogenmod 10.1 is coming along nicely, especially with nightlies, meaning you don't have to wait long for changes or improvements.

AOKP is much of the same with different customization options.

Eclipse Jellybean feels much more stock and is on 4.1.2 rather than 4.2.2

All 4.2.2 have shared problems, such as the accelerometer, as well as occasional BT and wifi issues, but they are noted and being resolved.

I hate sounding like a prick, but I hardly ever answer a stock Motoblur question, because in my mind using a custom rom is far superior than trying to get your stock to work.

Good luck.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

OP
J

jaxager

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. When I had my Droid X, I never used Motoblur. The last ROM I had installed was MIUI. I loved it except for the issue it had with the compass not working. This was a big issue for me because I used Star Chart a lot to look at constellations at night. I will definitely look into the ROMS you've suggested. I've heard good things about Eclipse. Thanks again.

kwyrt

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. When I had my Droid X, I never used Motoblur. The last ROM I had installed was MIUI. I loved it except for the issue it had with the compass not working. This was a big issue for me because I used Star Chart a lot to look at constellations at night. I will definitely look into the ROMS you've suggested. I've heard good things about Eclipse. Thanks again.

If you liked MIUI you might want to check out Avatar. There is a thread in the D4 dev section on XDA. It's CM10.1 based so has same issues.

Sent from my Droid 4 - Eclipse JB

OP
J

jaxager

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I really wish I didn't have to deal with trying to figure out a ROM to run. I'm bipolar when it comes to my phone. Sometimes I like to mess with new ROMS and customization, and other times I just want it to work. Right now I just want it to work. I'm never getting another Motorola Android again, though. Both this D4 and my old DX have been headaches. It is a shame because I've had more Motorola phones than I can count, going all the way back to the Startac. I'm not impressed with how late they are with rolling out updates, locked bootloaders, and bloatware out the butt. Very ironic considering that they are owned by Google, now...

OP
J

jaxager

Reaction score
Well, I kinda got it figured out last night. I used TB to freeze about 10 or 12 apps that have been installed or updated in the past couple of weeks that I thought could have even the smallest chance of needing to access my GPS. It now works. Now, I just need to figure out which app is being the dick... I appreciate your suggestions for running an alternate ROM. I am going to check out some of your suggestions. I put Eclipse 1.0.3 in ROM Slot 1 of Safestrap 3.11 last night. It is running very choppy, though. I read that you should give it time to do all of the necessary background crap that it needs to do before passing judgement on it. Thanks again.