1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Location services settings?

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by ricks, Aug 31, 2012.

1. ricks

ricks Member

For best battery saving, what should I have check marked in the Location services settings? I don't use it too much.
  2. YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth Theme Developer Theme Developer

I have them all checked except "Share picture location" ... have had no ill effect on battery
  3. kevins686

kevins686 New Member

I have no idea. I'm just responding to tell you that your avatar has me in hysterics.
    1 person likes this.
  4. bawoo49

bawoo49 New Member

Ricks, Thanks for asking this question, I also wanted to know the Location Services effect on battery.

Now, another Location Services question: How do the different options relate to data usage?

Thanks - Barry
  5. jackiescivic

jackiescivic Active Member

Standalone is used for navigation, that's about all I know
  6. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid Rescue Squad

Standalone does not use any data where Google and Verizon do. The standalone is nice if you want to use your maps /navigation without draining your battery or data. The only time GPS drains battery is when you use an app that requires it. You will also see the GPS symbol in your status bar whenever Google or Verizon GPS is being used but no GPS symbol for when just the standalone is used (which is basically only for maps and navigation anyway, so you don't have to really worry about it).

Things like FB use GPS but if you have them turned off, you will get a prompt to turn them on when needed. Maps & navigation will also prompt you to turn on Google /Verizon GPS but as long as you have standalone on, you don't need the others and it will save data & battery.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
  7. Miklb58

Miklb58 New Member

My Max will display the GPS symbol in the notification bar when I open a map. All I have selected in location services is standalone....
  8. bawoo49

bawoo49 New Member

TisMyDroid, Thanks much, this really helps!

-Barry
  9. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

Actually, it's the other way around. :) When the standalone GPS is in use, you will see the icon on the far left of your navigation bar (and this is what can drain your battery). When Google/Verizon location services are in use, both which use the data connection (and the amount of data they actually use is very small), there will be no icon on the notification bar.

All of the location services only run when an app is actively using them. It's not like WiFi or Bluetooth, which when enabled constantly scan. When you check the location services in the settings to enable them, you're not turning them on. You're giving the phone and apps permission to turn them on when they're needed. So, the only way any of them will drain your battery significantly is if you're using apps and processes that you've allowed to use them (and since not everyone reads the permissions for every app they install, you may not know that you've allowed some apps to use them).
  10. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid Rescue Squad

Thanks bsweetness for that clarification. And I should've even known better because I usually only have standalone enabled and can always tell when it is active by the status bar symbol.

Sent from my AT100 using Droid Forums
Search tags for this page
does location services use data verizon
droid razr location services
galaxy s3 location services
how do i turn on location services on my droid razrm
location services on galaxy s3
s3 location services
samsung galaxy s3 location services

verizon location services

vzw location services
what are verizon location services