Location of text messages

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by hrkris, Feb 2, 2010.

1. hrkris

hrkris New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I browsed through the forums and a few other sites but couldn't find this, maybe someone here will know off the top of their heads:

I'm trying to find the location of text messages from the messaging app. One thread I found: Data/File Storage Location for SMS Messages? - Android Forums listed that it would be located on the root of the phone in Data but it comes up as empty even though I do have received texts. Obviously the phone has already been rooted so if there was anything in there I would see it with ASTRO. Does anyone have any ideas?

What I'd like to do is manually back up my texts because of a small side issue I just had. I had disabled Deletion of old text messages but today I reached somewhere around 1,000 individual texts across multiple threads and they all just disappeared when I received another text. Very strange, but I'd like to simply back up the db file or individual texts, however they're stored, to my SD card regularly.

Any help would be appreciated :)

2. Shade2074

Shade2074 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've had this same problem at least 4 times now over two different phones, but for me it seems random in that I have well over 2 thousand texts from different sources but then one comes in and BOOM they're all gone!

to help though, I have downloaded (and paid for) an app called mybackup pro which has worked quite well for me. I scheduled it to make a backup of everything every evening when I'm asleep, this way if I lose texts, I never lose more than a days worth. I'm sure there are other programs in the app shop that may be able to do similar things that are free, but that's just the one I use (it was recommended in another forum) and so far it's worked quite nicely for me.

Hope that helps!

3. hrkris

hrkris New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it definitely helps. I was looking at a few of those Apps and considered getting it.

But part of the reason why I'd like the physical location of the texts is to see if they are perhaps still there or were just moved.

I'm thinking even though my phone is rooted, I still don't have read permissions to everything. If I could go in and check that would be ideal ;-)

Search tags for this page
android text location

android text message file location

android text message location
android text message storage location

find the location of a text message

get location from text message

how to find location of text message

message storage
text message file location android
text message location