Location not updating

esheesle

Reaction score
Running stock rezound ics w/root. For a year or so everything has been working awesome. For the past 2 weeks suddenly I've noticed after about 2-3 days the location stops updating on my device. By this I mean:
- Tasker network location is incorrect (shows the same spot even though I'm 30+ miles away) and will not update
- Weatherbug shows the same location as tasker and never updates
- Google maps works just fine still

I have gps off, google location on, verizon location off. As I've said, everything works find for 2-3 days, then it just stops and never starts updating until I reboot. Any ideas?

acejavelin

Reaction score
I am bone stock and have had this issue as well for the last month or so maybe... Things like weather that use network-based location just stop working, I know this is happening as the Weather widget will just say "(current location)" instead of where I am. My solution so far is just reboot, not the best but it works.

There are three distinct location services involved here, GPS which always seems to work and is an on-demand service, Google Services Location which uses WiFi and Network Based location (and can use WiFi alone), and Verizon Location Services (or Network-based Location Services), the last one seems to be the real issue. Not sure what the cause or problem is, but it must be Rezound specific as I have several co-workers with Motorolas, Samsungs, and other devices on Verizon that have no problems with this.

Last edited:
OP
E

esheesle

Reaction score
I am bone stock and have had this issue as well for the last month or so maybe... Things like weather that use network-based location just stop working, I know this is happening as the Weather widget will just say "(current location)" instead of where I am. My solution so far is just reboot, not the best but it works.

There are three distinct location services involved here, GPS which always seems to work and is an on-demand service, Google Services Location which uses WiFi and Network Based location (and can use WiFi alone), and Verizon Location Services (or Network-based Location Services), the last one seems to be the real issue. Not sure what the cause or problem is, but it must be Rezound specific as I have several co-workers with Motorolas, Samsungs, and other devices on Verizon that have no problems with this.

I don't even have verizon location services on (from what I read, it is only used by verizon navigation and other specific verizon apps, not things like maps, weather, etc). Only one I have is google location. Betting this has something to do with the play services being upgraded very recently (last month or two). Evo had an issue like this during one play upgrade to.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Hmm... It seems Rezound specific though, I am an IT tech for a telecommunications company and manage around 50-60 smartphones on Verizon, the only ones who have reported this recently are Rezound users (which is only 3, including myself), Motorola, Samsung, and users of other HTC phones have not mentioned anything about this, but TBH I haven't asked either. I am still investigating and will probably factory default mine soon to try to determine the issue... to be honest I thought this started occurring around the time the latest Maps came out and thought there was some conflict there, but I reverted mine back to 6.14.4 a couple weeks ago and it is still happening.

BTW, I reset mine last night around 10pm, by 7am it was unable to update location again.

Also, I was incorrect about my statement that Verizon Location Services are the same as Network Based Location Services, they are not the same... VLS is a permission allowing VZW apps to use Network Based Location Services that are built into Android that use WiFi and Cell Tower Location for location.

OP
E

esheesle

Reaction score
Hmm... It seems Rezound specific though, I am an IT tech for a telecommunications company and manage around 50-60 smartphones on Verizon, the only ones who have reported this recently are Rezound users (which is only 3, including myself), Motorola, Samsung, and users of other HTC phones have not mentioned anything about this, but TBH I haven't asked either. I am still investigating and will probably factory default mine soon to try to determine the issue... to be honest I thought this started occurring around the time the latest Maps came out and thought there was some conflict there, but I reverted mine back to 6.14.4 a couple weeks ago and it is still happening.

BTW, I reset mine last night around 10pm, by 7am it was unable to update location again.

Also, I was incorrect about my statement that Verizon Location Services are the same as Network Based Location Services, they are not the same... VLS is a permission allowing VZW apps to use Network Based Location Services that are built into Android that use WiFi and Cell Tower Location for location.

I would definitely suggest you file a report with HTC about the issues you are encountering (with all the rezounds) so they are aware and can hopefully work with Google to get it fixed.

If you factory reset and that resolves it please let me know. I can't imagine we'd all be having this issue randomly though because we needed a reset.

I rebooted last night and was still good midday, but will see how long it lasts.

Is there anywhere to file a bug report with google? It has to be either maps or google play services (although maps seems unaffected). Oh, and play services does update silently and often around the same time on a device type so would make sense that we'd all be hit at once.

andeejo

Reaction score
I wrote a thread about this a couple months ago. And ace even replied. he didn't mention he was having a problem at that time. One of the things he had me try was clear data on HTC location services. That worked, but only for a short time. The reboot helps, but again only for a short time. Those are the only two things that I have found to work. Interesting others are having the same problem. I'm completely stock by the way.

OP
E

esheesle

Reaction score
Clearing cache didn't work either. 3 days almost on the dot and same thing happened again

acejavelin

Reaction score
I factory defaulted last week (Thursday or Friday) and updated all apps from the Play Store except Maps (side loaded v6.14.4), and loaded the around 20 apps I use for work and it has been working fine and not had one location problem since. Not saying that is the recommended fix, but it has worked so far...

OP
E

esheesle

Reaction score
I factory defaulted last week (Thursday or Friday) and updated all apps from the Play Store except Maps (side loaded v6.14.4), and loaded the around 20 apps I use for work and it has been working fine and not had one location problem since. Not saying that is the recommended fix, but it has worked so far...

Did you ever file a report with HTC. It would be great if you would also file a report and state what you've found. Also, is there a way to contact google to let them know about the issue? Report to androidpolice and let them publish it to get attention to the issue?

acejavelin

Reaction score
Did you ever file a report with HTC. It would be great if you would also file a report and state what you've found. Also, is there a way to contact google to let them know about the issue? Report to androidpolice and let them publish it to get attention to the issue?
No... History shows that something like this would take months to correct, and to be honest if this is the only issue, then unlocking and moving to a different ROM would be easier and less hassle even for a work phone. I am planning on just moving mine to CarbonROM or Alchemy (PAC-Man based release by Neo) when it's ready. There are so many ROM options out there that are better than the stock ROM it is almost silly people keep using stock, when I had a personal Rez I switched a year or more ago and never looked back and was happier.

That a factory reset seems to correct it, at least for me it has for almost a week now, so they would come back with it's not their issue.

OP
E

esheesle

Reaction score
No... History shows that something like this would take months to correct, and to be honest if this is the only issue, then unlocking and moving to a different ROM would be easier and less hassle even for a work phone. I am planning on just moving mine to CarbonROM or Alchemy (PAC-Man based release by Neo) when it's ready. There are so many ROM options out there that are better than the stock ROM it is almost silly people keep using stock, when I had a personal Rez I switched a year or more ago and never looked back and was happier.

That a factory reset seems to correct it, at least for me it has for almost a week now, so they would come back with it's not their issue.

Damn, well if I'm the only one actually telling anyone about the problem we're pretty much guaranteed to never see a fix at all.

acejavelin

Reaction score
I spoke to soon... even though it was good for a week, location freaked again today... cleared data on com.vzw.location and HTC Location Service and rebooted and it's working again for now. I am just going to flash CarbonROM this weekend and be done with it, I can't stand stock anymore anyway.

OP
E

esheesle

Reaction score
I spoke to soon... even though it was good for a week, location freaked again today... cleared data on com.vzw.location and HTC Location Service and rebooted and it's working again for now. I am just going to flash CarbonROM this weekend and be done with it, I can't stand stock anymore anyway.

Did maps or google framework services update by any chance? really thinking it is google framework service (which will auto update in the background on you).

Could you please file an issue with HTC. If it is just one person i guarantee that they will never end up fixing a thing. Even if you plan to flash a rom please just take a minute to file an issue report (when they tell you what steps to take, like the ones you already have, just tell them it didn't resolve).