locale or llama app?

richtheruler

Reaction score
They are both location apps that turn on/off your ringer, wi-fi, vibrate, etc depending on where you are. Has anyone used either of these? I mainly want it for turing on/off my wifi so I dont have to do it manually when I'm at work and home.
I'm wondering which 1 is better? And which uses less memory?

McGyver777

Reaction score
Llama is free and so far seems awesome but I have to check how out does with battery. Mine seems to be going down faster. Maps is at 44 percent...I am thinking that is by proxy from llama...we will see.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I used Locale when it first came out and was free (stopped working when they started charging). It was OK although when I set up my church to silence, I didn't set it up completely. Sure the phone ring was silent, but not the email notification. And there, in the silence was...

DDRRROOOIIIIDDDD

It seemed to me to be a power drain as it would need to use the GPS constantly to know where you are. If it's just for turning WiFi on and off, I suggest an app like Widget Locker which will allow you to put a WiFi toggle on your lock screen. In fact, if turning WiFi on and off is the only concern, just leaving WiFi on all the time might use less battery than a app to turn it on and off by location.

Last edited:

Scribble

Reaction score
I use locale and it's pretty dang awesome.

They made a few mods recently that supposedly cut the power draign down quite a bit.

McGyver777

Reaction score
Ok...llama is free...huge plus.

First downside is it seems to not keep up with location based actions very well because it doesn't use GPS.

So far the setup is very easy and intuitive. Love the app.

Other than location settings cutting on or off very late (there are battery time costly ways to improve this, such as GPS on...using an additional map plug in....), the app works...sooner or later.

Action based events are perfectly done...such as "wifi / GPS / cell tower polling at 5 minutes when plugged in" or "start Pandora when headphones plugged in" ..."Bluetooth on while in car dock"...powerful app and a bit easier to understand than Tasker.

Wish I knew how to improve location based stuff...still good app.

AndyMcDroid

Reaction score
I know this wasn't one of the original choices, but I have to throw Tasker into the ring. I just checked, and to my surprise, it's now actually more expensive than Locale (Locale used to be US$9.99), but you still get more bang for the buck with Tasker. And, Tasker can also use any Locale action plugin. For the OP's purposes, Tasker can use its Wifi Near context to determine location, which has very little impact on battery life.

Another free alternative is Automateit.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Probably not what you want, but for just WiFi I use "Auto-Toggle Wifi" and it works perfectly. The minute I pull away from my complex it automatically turns wifi off and by the time I check it when I get home it's already on. Doesn't do anything else but....just throwing it out there:)

tothenet

Reaction score
I purchased Locale but I use Llamda now. Llamda works a lot better figuring out location. It doesn't use GPS. Instead it only uses cell tower to figure out current location, which is poor in accuracy but better for battery.

My problem is Locale is this. It simply doesn't know where I am. Once I get in my office, my phone loses GPS signal. That's the time Locale gets crazy. It thinks I am nowhere and uses setting for default area, which is setting for driving, which turns on bluetooth and set brightness to highest. I also noticed high heat from Bionic while Locale is working.

On the contrary, Llama works very robust. It knows where I am very well. I don't need to pick up location from map and figure out the radius if office building is big. I stay in east wing of my build so, Llama assumed I am outside when I's been to west wing I simply tapped start learning area. Then Llamda learns that place is my work area.

Though Llama is free, it has huge options to set various conditions. I think Llamda worths a lot more than Locale.

McGyver777

Reaction score
Standard llama does not use GPS but there are experimental settings that let you use it. There is also a plugin for free that adds map settings and radius settings to help make location tracking even more robust.

Llama is a work of art and a must have app. My geek friends can not get over that when I get home my phone automatically sets WIFI on, mobile data off, icon llama to blue(visual signal phone knows I am home), disables bluetooth, sets wifi to sleep soon after screen dims and prevents wifi from sleeping if plugged in. If it could cook I would have married it.

I can set silent profiles for times of night when I am not answering and I can have my phone auto decrease volume when my "loud" friend calls. Auto start any program based on an action...Pandora on when headphones in as example.

When at family in laws house change wifi to on but keep data on (diff from my house where I only want WIFI on) and make ringtones, overide ringtones, to more family friendly ones while there or not at home...AKA "cussing song will never play when jerk friend calls me at inlaws again" even though at home I laugh hard when he calls because R rated ringtone lays at home.

Powerful app, you will spend tons of time tweeking settings/events to perfection...it is a total geekout funfest.

Great app.....I am off to try and find the best location for the battery use.....

L1Wulf

Reaction score
I decided to give Llama a shot since none of the others were just right for me... I've tried and bought locale, phone weaver and tasker. Llama is a great balance of simplicity and power. Super easy to get started but lots to tweak if you choose. I've only been using it for a couple of days and I'm extremely happy (paid for the donation app already too). Within the first day I had home and work setup the way I wanted and a nearly perfect setup for my car dock. I ended up removing/editing some things from the car dock after the first go since I realized I sometimes pull it from the dock and Bluetooth would turn off, killing my music and I'm not always going from car to home/work so why start wifi so soon? After a little thought and logic, I think I have a pretty decent setup that should cover 90% of my situations. For the last 10%, I can whip up the settings as they become apparent and in just a minute or two at that.

A big thumbs up for Llama!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Suny6

Reaction score
Try out Smart Volume Control+. It has all the features as Locale and Llama, however it has no bugs or problems like those apps do. SVC+ is always updating their app too. The others almost never update the apps compared to Smart Volume Control+