locale on droid

bodean

Reaction score
How do I rename a location with locale? I set a location, says "Unknown location" for name.

Also, do I need to be at a location (aka my home) to set up the profile, or can I do it if im on the road....if so how?

Also, since I am flying a lot, what's the best way to set up locale so when I'm up flying, I have the radios turned off on the droid, but the phone can still operate?

Bump ...... any ideas?

jdubbs23

Reaction score
For those that have location based settings...

Do you always leave WiFi and GPS on? Locale recommends leaving both on, and I have always left them on.

I thought that perhaps it would make sense to disable WiFi when I'm at work, since there is no WiFi network that I can connect to. I figured this might save some battery life.

It turns out that with WiFi disabled at work, I have noticed my GPS icon coming on every so often and in fact the Locale app is now the second app on the list in the Battery Usage app (about 15% behind #1 display which is around 30%). Within the informatino about Locale in the Battery Usage app, it shows that GPS has been on for some 10 minutes or so.

If I leave WiFi enabled when at work (despite no network to connect to), Locale is not opening and using the GPS anymore (or at least not as often).

Does anyone else find this? Is it better for the battery to just leave WiFi and GPS on?

Deuel

Reaction score
Tried everything to get location to work, but ended up just scheduling events by time and charging state. Still nice to get the phone back to "work ready" after fooling around with it in the dock.

Nepherim

Reaction score
@jdubbs23: I leave wifi and GPS off. I use Locale to turn on wifi when I'm at home, using the 'Network' location option. I set a fairly wide circle for me to be in (maybe 600 feet), but that's fine.

raynjen

Reaction score
I have had no problems with this app since i started using it a few weeks ago. i keep the gps enabled at all times (no wifi though) and have it check for updates to my location every 10 minutes. with these settings, it uses only about 4% of my battery usage. LOVE IT!

I have settings for work(location-based), sleeping (time-based), and family calls (contacts and time-based) so that if it is "sleeping" time and a specific contact on the list calls it will always ring during that time period. has not failed me yet! and I love that you can set up new locations even if you are not currently there, a feature that other similar programs do not have.

How do I rename a location with locale? I set a location, says "Unknown location" for name.

Also, do I need to be at a location (aka my home) to set up the profile, or can I do it if im on the road....if so how?

Also, since I am flying a lot, what's the best way to set up locale so when I'm up flying, I have the radios turned off on the droid, but the phone can still operate?

There is a airplane mode plug-in for locale. I havent used it yet but saw it in the plug-ins sections. You can check out the plug-ins from the main page of the program. press the menu button and it is there on the right side. or just seach in the market.

eNonsense

Reaction score
The Train WiFi hasn't worked for me yet.

What would be a good option is if you could add network connections as conditions.

E.g., If WiFi connected to LINKSY252, then turn on HOME profile. If BT connection is on, then turn on car profile. If WiFi hotspots are up, but not connected, then turn on something else. ETc.
I agree with the WiFi hotspots in range. At work we have secured WiFi hotspots that broadcast their SSIDs, but I can't connect to them for security reasons, but the phone obviously sees these networks present and that's a definitive indication that I'm at work.

I thought I may have seen someone mention a program that does this a while back but I don't remember what it was. Like locale but adjusts settings based on present wi-fi networks rather than your GPS location. This would be something that I'd def. be interested in.

Todd_Anderson

Reaction score
Delete condition

I have just started using Locale. How do I delete a condition or setting once I have saved it?
Example:
I was playing around with the settings for one I called home. I set times to use. Now I do not want to set a time. How do I delete it.
Next would be I created a situation, now I do not want it. How do I delete a situation?

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
On the main Locale screen (the one that lists each defined situation) for the Situation that you want to delete, select the red button (that looks like a red minus sign). The app will ask you whether you want to remove that situation.

Oops, I misread your question, you want to delete a setting, not a situation. Good news is that it is pretty much the same way as I indicated. Go into the situation that has the setting you want to remove and you can select the red button that looks like a minus sign and follow the instructions.