locale on droid

Luxferro

Reaction score
Strange, I haven't had one issue with it and I never even have my GPS turned on. Works flawlessly for me, even before the last update.

Setting the GPS location can be a bit tricky as far as the GUI is concerned. Are you guys seeing situations appear in the setup list after you add conditions?

Anything I can offer to help, just ask, because mine works great and is probably the best app I have other than my Home Screen Replacement.

what exactly do you have yours doing?

halo0

Reaction score
What do you mean you don't have your GPS turned on? YOu mean you have explicitly disabled it? You never use the nav or the google maps app?

DroidxRage

Reaction score
@ lux - mine will turn the ringer to silent when I get to work, and when I get home it turns my ringer on as well as the wi-fi and connects to my network, which I have configured prior to remember my wifi access.

@halo0 - exactly. I have the power management widget on my home screen. I implicitly turn off GPS before coming into work with my ringer on high. As soon as I get to work, still with no GPS turned on, my phone goes to vibrate. Even if GPS is off, the cell signal should be enough to triangulate your position within a decent range.

If I turn on my Google Nav, or something that wants to use GPS, it asks if I want to turn on GPS first. If you have GPS running all the time, it's gonna eat your battery alot faster. If you haven't, check out the POWER widget that comes with the phone, VERY useful for turning off features like this (wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, Data-sync, and brightness.

HIcycles

Reaction score
Funny, mine just switched from work to default while sitting in my office. A nice loud DROOOIIIID rang out across the building.

Too Funny! I noticed that it was switching out my profiles as well. I gave up with the location based profile switching, and I have it switching by time. Guaranteed to work!

shugknight

Reaction score
If I turn on my Google Nav, or something that wants to use GPS, it asks if I want to turn on GPS first. If you have GPS running all the time, it's gonna eat your battery alot faster. If you haven't, check out the POWER widget that comes with the phone, VERY useful for turning off features like this (wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, Data-sync, and brightness.

I'm not sure if the GPS actually eats the battery as much as people think. That is the 1 thing I have on at all times, because of Locale, and my battery has been giving me 19-20 hours a day. I guess if I take the GPS out, I may get an extra hour or two... but it's not too bad.

I, also agree that the power widget is very useful. The 1 widget I recommend to everyone.

odoyle81

Reaction score
I installed Locale and think it is great so far, but I'm confused because it always shows "default" in the notification bar regardless of which situation I am in. I can confirm this by seeing specific situations highlighted bold in the locale app - shouldn't the names of these situations also appear in the notification bar?

jdubbs23

Reaction score
I installed Locale and think it is great so far, but I'm confused because it always shows "default" in the notification bar regardless of which situation I am in. I can confirm this by seeing specific situations highlighted bold in the locale app - shouldn't the names of these situations also appear in the notification bar?

Did you add the setting "notification" to the situations?

odoyle81

Reaction score
No I didn't - Thanks for the tip! I just realized the locale help pages (within the app) are REALLY useful!!

thedudeabidz

Reaction score
I'm excited by this app, but I'm having the same problems as everyone else. Location-based situations just aren't working properly. As someone said above--time based scenarios work fine, but it's the location-based ones that tap the true potential of this app, so I'll be waiting for the update.

IMO--the Droid is still a buggy little critter, and I think that multiple experiences are going to be the norm for a while. But I don't care, I love this thing so far. The Droid has so much more potential than the iPhone that I'm willing to be patient.

rlb

Reaction score
It would be cool if Locale had a "Car Dock" situation, so you could automatically switch on blue tooth when you dock in your car.

DroidxRage

Reaction score
I'm so happy locale has worked as advertised for me. Locations and all.

Just a thought... for those that it isn't working, it may be a good idea to post the apps/widgets you have installed. Maybe there's a common denominator app/widget that's making it not work for the rest of you.

I'll go back and let you know which ones I do/don't have on my device, so you can cross them off the list of "possible suspect" apps.

Just throwing it out there, like I said mine works 100% as advertised, but I'm willing to help with any information I can provide seeing I seem to be one of the few who it works for.

FoFa

Reaction score
I have locale set to on WiFi when at the house (well, the nearest tower to my house), but the problem seems to be the phone is not near as WiFi sensitive as say my laptops. It loses the WiFi signal where my laptops say it is still a good signal. But locale won't switch to 3G when it loses the WiFi signal.
A minor issue, but still a pain when I walk out to the patio or yard and do anything. My laptops work fine out there.
Then again, my laptops have a battery twice the size of the phone itself.

babydroid

Reaction score
Just want to add my praise for this app, which I think is truly amazing.

sustained

Reaction score
I was just researching Locale before I installed it and found this GPS Setting Plug-in made for use with Locale by the same developer.

The one review said "This solved the problem I was having with Locale being unable to hold onto my current location."

But I don't understand. Is this GPS Setting Plug-in something you're always supposed to install separately with Locale? If so why hasn't anyone mentioned it yet? And why is it a separate and not included in Locale? Or is it just if you're having location problems?

Here is also a Shortcut Plug-in for use with Locale by the same developer.

And here is an Airplane Mode Plug-in for use with Locale by the same developer.

Last edited:

holee

Reaction score
I like Locale, but I have the same issue many of you have, which is that the GPS lock is slow and inaccurate. Everything else works great.

But it makes me want to use an app that does just time-based settings, since the location settings aren't reliable for me.