Locale 2 situations?

grimloktt

Reaction score
If I put 2 conditions on locale (for example...if I'm home (location) between my kids naptime hours (time), change volume on phone), do both conditions have to be true or just one? I want both to be true to turn ringer down. Otherwise, if I'm @ work @ that time I want my phone to function the way I have it set for work. Thoughts?

Earlier today, while I was away from the phone, it seemed like my naptime setting was applied even though my location wasn't @ home...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bennyj

Reaction score
I could be wrong here, but I believe you have to set their priority. To do that, while at the profile screen in locale you will notice two arrows in the top right above the profiles.One point up and one pointing down. Click that and it will allow you to move your profiles in the order you would like them executed. With the top having the most priority. Maybe move the time profile above the location profile and see if that works.

OP
G

grimloktt

Reaction score
Right. For work and home, ill need two situations; however, I want the map time situation to react to both location and time... I.e. both have to be true to change settings...

bennyj

Reaction score
Yes, if the time profile is right above the location profile and both are true, ie.. you are at home and the time is nap time, then both profiles should be active at that time. Just look at the notification bar in the top of your phone. It should show you which profile are active.

As I think about this( it's been awhile since I used locale) I dont recall if locale acts in a AND situation. I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but I switched over to a app called tasker, it's in the market. It will do exactly what you are looking for plus a lot more. Search tasker in the market. I think they have a demo version.

Last edited:
OP
G

grimloktt

Reaction score
I've been reading up on Tasker, as a matter of fact. How does it work for location settings? I don't really want to use my GPS. I've been using cell towers for Locale and it's been really pretty accurate. Can I do the same with Tasker?

OP
G

grimloktt

Reaction score
I just downloaded it and don't see the option to use cell towers. With the net setting in locations, it creates a 7km diameter. That seems awfully large... I'm not sure if I want to go forward with that range...

The developer does talk about using cell towers in the future... Maybe I'll try back then.

Last edited:

BuglessFan

Reaction score
Just to expand on what bennyj said, here's my understanding and experience with Locale.

It evaluates each situation separately. If ANY situation's conditions are true by itself, it's settings get applied. If TWO OR MORE situations both affect the same setting, the one with higher priority (higher in the list) wins the tiebreaker. All conditions within a situation need to be active for it to get applied, though.

So if you have one situation that say set your ring tone to FOO if you're at a location, and another sets it to BAR if it's a certain time, then if the location one is higher on the list your ringtone goes to FOO.

Here's how the OP can use this knowledge to set up the scenario she describes. Create 3 situations:

Situation 1 (Work): Highest priority of the three, explicitly includes the volume setting you want for work

Situation 2 (Home at Naptime): Middle priority of the three, has TWO conditions, location and time, sets volume lower (and whatever else)

Situation 3 (Home): Lowest priority of these three has ONE condition, location, and sets whatever default home volume you want (and whatever else)

So what you want is ONE situation with TWO conditions. All of the situations get evaluated by themselves and don't exclude others, but WITHIN a situation all of the conditions have to be true for the settings to get applied.

So if you did a separate situation with time only it would also affect you at work, at the store, or wherever. If, however, you do one condition with location and time, you can do exactly what you describe. You can have more than one situation with the same location.

If you think of it as each SITUATION getting evaluated one at a time as true or false -- applying the settings when true, and as going through the list from the bottom of the list to the top, it makes sense. So the top one "wins" because it is the last one to be applied. Each situation, however, is only true if ALL its conditions are met (location/time/orientation/on bluetooth/docked/on one SSID/whatever other plugins you have). No settings get applied if any one of the conditions isn't met, but all of the settings get applied if all of them are true. At the end of it all, if multiple situations applied the same setting, the last one stuck because it got applied after the others.

Make sense?

Last edited:
OP
G

grimloktt

Reaction score
BuglessFan,

(I'm running BB too. :)) I thought it worked the same way you mentioned. I made one situation with both conditions in it; however, I noticed while away from my house it still went into nap mode at the designated nap time. I was in a hurry and now second guessing myself but I think that it did indeed go into nap mode even though one of the conditions wasn't met.

After looking through other material, I'm wondering if the variables plug-in is the answer. From the examples, it looks like if I make house = true as a variable under my regular house profile then I can include that as a condition under the nap profile.

However, by doing that, I'd indeed be executing in the same fashion that you suggested and I tried in the past. I guess I'll give it another shot and see what happens. Maybe I'll make two profiles. One will be with 2 conditions for time and location and the second will be with 2 conditions for time and the variable plug-in for house location. Then, during the designated time away from home, I'll check and see if either are applying the conditions (by looking in the toolbar at what's indicated from locale). I'll report back...

P.S. I'm going to say that I feel like the support from Locale versus Tasker is pittiful. That alone makes me want to drop it...except it does a great job at everything else.