Local Verizon Wireless Store or Let's Talk ?

Pyzon

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for all that post to this most informative Forum.

I am due an upgrade this coming week and have settled on a D2 Global for me, a Droid X for 18 year old son, and an LG Octane for my smart phone paranoid wife.

My question is, I have a brand new Verizon store nearby that is trying sorta half-heartenedly to earn my business, but if I upgrade all three phones there, my initial out of pocket cost is going to be $350, with $200 coming back in rebates.

If I pull the trigger instead with Let's Talk, my out of pocket cost will be (at least today) $59.99 for the D2G, 69.99 for the X, with the Octane still being free, at total of $130.00, with no rebates to wait on.

Is having the Verizon store closeby to help me get comfy with the world of smart phone life worth fiddling with the rebates ? Neither me or my son has owned a smart phone before, so we will likely have questions that need to be answered. The net difference of $20 is not an issue, and I'm being told the wait for the prepaid Visa rebate cards is 2-3 weeks, usually.

It would not take much customer service at the local store to more than offset this piddly savings. Then again, maybe the prices at the Verizon store might also be negotiable, hadn't considered that.

BUT, the last detail is that my other son has a couple of months to go on a contract with ATT&T, and the local Verizon store offered to pay half of his $65 early termination fee to switch now with us, and with the BOGOF deal, his would cost (assuming he liked the D2G like me) $200 after rebate also. (Too bad my wife has no interest in a smart phone or we could get her one free instead of just the Octane.) At that point I would be ahead by another $100 at Let's Talk with me eating the entire AT&T ETF.

Hope this is understandable the way I have described it. Thanks again for all the time spent on helping out here.

Pyzon

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'd go with Verizon for sure!! Especially if they're offering to help pay your ETF! My store ONLY does that for 5+ line business accounts! Not to mention, the majority of 3rd party vendors can't do much more than sell you your phone. My store for example won't do anything at all if equipment was purchased at Wal-Mart, BB, or ABC Wireless. You deal with who its purchased from...period.

DroidForums junkie!!

altimax98

Reaction score
Another advantage can come down the road because some third party retailers have stipulations on top of the ETF that Verizon has should you want to do a early upgrade or whatnot.... if its only a few bucks go with the store... they may wave your activation too if you buy a car charger or dock which are useful

Sent from one of those missing Droids

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1!

Another advantage can come down the road because some third party retailers have stipulations on top of the ETF that Verizon has should you want to do a early upgrade or whatnot.... if its only a few bucks go with the store... they may wave your activation too if you buy a car charger or dock which are useful

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
P

Pyzon

Reaction score
Will Verizon stores negotiate on price or add free accessories as an inducement when competing for business or are prices fixed ?

Thanks for the advice, I'm sure having a friend at the local VZW store will be a good thing, even if breakdowns or the like never occur.

altimax98

Reaction score
Alot of times if you tell then you may go somewhere else they may wave or exchange the activation fees for accessories and stuff.

Reaction score
Yeah I would go to the Verizon Store. I'm sure they are willing to work with you on accessories.

Sent from my rooted Galaxy Tab