local rooted shell access?

Bense

Reaction score
Hi, I have a rooted D2G (I've tested this with wireless tether 206.apk) and all I want to do is get a shell with root access to a r/w filesystem.

I've been using linux for about 10 years now. So I understand the potential risks, etc etc. I've searched but all the pages that I've found are either:
*outdated
*instructions on how to do linux console commands
*shell scripts with console commands

I come from a background where you used to be able to choose your root password upon initial startup. And then when you wanted a shell you hit the power button on your computer (as it was the first thing that the computer booted into). Then when you wanted root access, you logged in as 'root' and typed the password that you chose. I guess it seems so archaic and rudimentary nowadays to imagine a time period like this.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

cron666

Reaction score
Get a terminal emulator and invoke the su command.
U shud b able to use the passwd command to set the root password. The su command switches you to the root shell. There is no password set on root account after "rooting". I'm not sure if passwd will work to set one.

$ent from a DeRezzed Droid2

OP
Bense

Bense

Reaction score
Then how do you mount the file system so that it's not read only?

OP
Bense

Bense

Reaction score
I figured it out. I don't know why this isn't more publicized.

once in the terminal, after becoming the super user type 'su' to remount the file system as read write

busybox mount -o rw,remount /system

then to remount it as read only

busybox mount -o ro,remount /system

By the way, I also installed bash. The Bourne Again SHell. Not the QDB crap. And I feel at home. :)

VirtualCLD

Reaction score
Bense, what terminal emulator did you use and how did you install bash?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

pool_shark

Reaction score
I originally used the terminal emulato by Jack Pal(something or other).

Now I use better terminal emulator. It comes with bash and it's own version of busybox.

I wrote a shell script to mount the filesystem rw so I wouldn't have to type it in every time.