Loading a .PFX cert on Droid?

v188

Reaction score
I'm trying to add a pfx cert from my laptop computer at work to my Droid, so I can view one of our webpages. It uses a pfx cert. I can't figure out how to get it over. I send the cert over to my gmail address. It stays grayed out.

1. Any idea why it's gray and not accessible?

2. When I get it active, does Droid allow certs on it's browser?

Sure hope so, this would greatly help me with access from the street.

JayMonster

Reaction score
It is grayed out because there is no "app" that is designed to read the pfx extension.

Tether the phone to your laptop and copy the certificate to the root of the SD Card.

Then go to Settings

Select Location and Security

Under Credential Storage

Select "Install from SD Card"

OP
V

v188

Reaction score
Thanks for the assist. However, I guess I'm not understanding "tether". I hook the Droid to my home computer via the USB cord, but my computer doesn't find the device. I've tried several times, powering down, etc. Does tether mean something more than just hooking to the computer via the cord?

I can't seem to get to the SD card if my computer won't read it.

A little more help?

thanks so far Forums for all the assists and get material posted.

JayMonster

Reaction score
No, I mean exactly what you are saying by tether... a CORD to the PC. When you hook up your USB cable, you should see an icon in the notification area of the Droid that looks like a USB symbol. Selecting that should bring up an option box that will allow you to "mount" the SD Card for you computer to be able to read it.

Once you are done with that, you should be able copy files to and from your SD Card.

hrvat36

Reaction score
JayMonster,

I've followed the instructions and get the message "No .p12 file found in the SD card". Does the Droid not support .pfx certificates? If so, is it possible to convert a .pfx into a .p12? What other workaround might there be?

023android

Reaction score
Hi I having exactly what you describe: a .pfx cert on a Android 2.1 and "No .p12 file found in the SD card". Did you solve it?
JayMonster,

I've followed the instructions and get the message "No .p12 file found in the SD card". Does the Droid not support .pfx certificates? If so, is it possible to convert a .pfx into a .p12? What other workaround might there be?

hrvat36

Reaction score
I actually was able to convert the .pfx into a .p12. I used Firefox to do it based on this link.

Tools>Options>Advanced>Encryption (tab)>View Certificates (button)

From there I went to "Your Certificates" tab and imported the .pfx. I then proceeded to "backup" (export) the certificate and it went into .p12 file type. Put the file on the phone's sd card root folder, installed the certificate seemingly successfully, but haven't actually had success connecting to my company's wifi network afterwards.

Gave up after that =\

I'd be really interested in hearing if it works for you though. I think I just don't know how to properly configure the device for my co's wifi and/or the .pfx cert (which was supposedly for iPhones) just can't work on Android.

023android

Reaction score
Thanks. The conversion to .p12 seems to be fine. Iĺl give it a shot on my mobile tonight or tomorrow. I will keep you posted

eudoxa

Reaction score
Hello, I just renamed my certificate from .pfx to .p12
The phone found that and installed, no probl.
Best...

ashraf smm

Reaction score
help

i lost file p12 from my sd i need help ,my phone milestone motorola

daytona481500

Reaction score
Web cert workaround

I am sure people have worked around this but I couldn't find it so I finally broke through the third party web cert issue you can't use google or dolphin I was able to go around it using firefox and I have found it to be better than the free dolphin version.