1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

..little help here?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Lars1, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Lars1

Lars1 New Member

Hey you DROIDs, (specifically you ROM fiends)

Questions;

When flashing a new ROM, what method are you using to BU and restore?

I have Titanium Backup but I don't know if it's best to have it just restore apps or app + data and settings. I would imagine that some data might not be compatible with a different ROM.

Also, my last ROM installed most of my apps to my SD card (SWEET!) but if I let the market reinstall will it double them up?

A couple of times I ran out of memory trying to restore apps and having them not go to the SD.

Lastly, every ROM you try do you reset up your accounts i.e. Pandora, email (POP), WIFI settings etc.? That takes a long time, not to mention rebuilding your home screens.

I would really love to know how you chronic ROMmers handle these issues.

Thanks so much for your replies.
  2. christim

christim Super Moderator

Titanium back up will save you the time with setting accounts/apps up again, I use that. Sometimes I let the market reinstall my apps, and no you won't end up with two of them.

Sometimes I use TB to restore an app and other times the market. It depends what it is. Because you have them backed up you can restore app and data and if you don't like it uninstall and then restore just the app. I've also restored just the data when the market has gone and reinstalled it for me too. I also do an advanced nandroid backup prior to applying any theme, rom, or kernel.
  3. Lars1

Lars1 New Member

Thanks for the prompt reply.

What do you select for Tianium to Back Up? Back Up all user apps and system data? What system data do you look to restore with a new ROM?

Sorry for all the ?? but I have flashed 4 or 5 ROM's and it has been a PITA to get everything reinstalled and set-up.

btw, I have about 150 apps. (if that makes a difference)
  4. metiCkOne

metiCkOne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Portland, OR/Boston, MA <-- Born N' Raised
    I have to reply just to lol at hey you DROIDS. lol classic, that is if it was a Goonies pun.
  5. Lars1

Lars1 New Member

'Twasn't.

Please enlighten.
  6. metiCkOne

metiCkOne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Portland, OR/Boston, MA <-- Born N' Raised
  7. Lars1

Lars1 New Member

Ahhh. Great flick.
  8. christim

christim Super Moderator

Last time I counted the rows in my app drawer the total was around 120, close enough:)

menukey-batch-backup all user apps+system data
    restore all apps with data

I've used "delete all backups for uninstalled data" once

I had problems with some apps when I first moved to froyo and found I was better off regrabbing those from the market. I think eventually you realize which ones have data you want. I went to use Shazam the other day and realized I had no tags so I must not have added its data back in. A merge data with existing data option might be nice, for something like that.

I've also gone through the list and hand picked which apps I wanted restored, not choosing any apps I haven't used in a while.

33 rows x 4 apps in each row. I've gained a couple again!
  9. Corinacakes

Corinacakes Super Moderator Theme Developer

Well i've flashed multiple roms and my restore of my backup of data only in nandroid (saves ALL my apps/bookmarks/signin info on all websites/custom colors, etc) hasn't failed yet. :D

I've actually got rid of titanium and mybackuppro
  10. Lars1

Lars1 New Member

You are referring to backing up an entire ROM, data and all, for restoration purposes, yes?

I am confused by how to integrate apps and data into a freshly installed new ROM, specifically when it comes to the apps on the SD card.

Example. Last night I did a clean (wipe data and cache) install of UD4.0. Prior to, I had Titanium backup all my apps & data.

In my previous version, 3.5, I had moved most apps to my SD, into an "Android Secure" folder I believe. I had about 40 MB of space left on the phone.

After I had flashed, I went to the market, got Titanium, and ran a batch restore of apps and data.

Before it was even 50% completed, the phone rebooted and came back with a low memory error. It was putting everything back on the phone.

I have tried allowing the market to do the reinstall, and then moving them over, but I already have most of the apps still on my SD so I don't need 2 copies right? Then there is the user data and settings issue.

I can't tell what data I should and shouldn't restore with a fresh ROM. Is some data specific to the previous ROM and possibly not play nice with the new ROM?

I am sorry for the long (and boring) post but I am still quite confused.

Thanks all,
  11. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member Premium Member Developer

When you flashed the new ROM you need to re-enable Apps2SD before letting either the Market or Titanium Pro re-install your apps....otherwise they will go straight to the phone's internal memory.

The apps, the market, Titanium don't know or care where your apps were installed...they only install to the systems configured resources....and a fresh installed ROM is going to default to NO Apps2SD, only internal memory.

Backup the way you have (Titanium), flash your new ROM, after boot immediately enable Apps2SD. Then as the Market installs your apps they will go to the SD Card. Those the Market doesn't....use Titanium to restore and they will default to the SD Card now as well.
  12. Lars1

Lars1 New Member

Thanks,

Will the market recognize that the apps are already installed on the SD or do I need to clear out the folder first?

Also how do you manage to restore settings and data with a fresh ROM??
  13. tcrews

No, at least it doesn't appear so. Once you flash a new Rom the .android_secure folder is either reset or just cleaned out. You don't need to do anything manually.

Once you boot and sign in and immediately enable Apps2SD. Google should restore everything except your preferences (screens, widgets, etc..). Titanium can restore non-restored apps and the data for your apps, which is very nice.

Flashed ROM, sign in, enable apps2sd....go from there. Market should intall all your apps, if not use Titanium. Re-configure your home screens. Done.
  14. Lars1

Lars1 New Member

Again, my thanks.

How do you (that's you) restore system settings i.e. bluetooth pairings, WiFi settings, app log-ins, passwords etc.?
  15. tcrews

You don't. You want to use your new ROM's settings to configure most stuff of your new Rom. However Google will restore your WIFI settings (access points at least), Titanium will restore your apps data (passwords, settings, etc..).

For the system, I wouldn't restore any settings...as some Roms move stuff around.

I restore data to my apps (even the ones that the Market restores) using Titanium Backup Pro.....so that I don't have to reconfigure apps like Movies (my Netflix login stuff), Timeriffic (my profile settings), AndFTP (my ftp sites and login info), Dropbox (my login info), etc.....

I use Launcher Pro for my Home launcher and have saved my configuration/screens so I just restore that and re-add the widgets.

I don't use bluetooth so I don't need to restore any pairings.
  16. Lars1

Lars1 New Member

Awesome!

thank you very much.