ListPro (Custom Lists) type application?

CMeys

Reaction score
I'm now using Checkmark Pro (which cost (just) a couple of bucks).
It supports hierarchical lists, templates and checkmarks, sorting and flags.
I exported my ListPro lists to CSV and massaged them a bit then imported them as Checkmark lists.

The key is to not expect a clone. Look for a tool that you can adapt your job to work with. Once I got over the awkwardness of having to go into edit mode to set and clear flags I was up and running.

As others have pointed out there isn't a 1:1 match for the feature set. It's (like life) a question of noting the tradeoffs, looking at your priorities and jumping in or walking away.

Just remember, the free version is missing a lot of the Pro version's better features.

I too was a long time Listpro user in Windows Mobile. I have purchased the pro version of Checkmark for my Evo 3D and I am okay with it except for one feature I cannot figure out. I have emailed them and they haven't responded. I wonder if you've figured this out.

I have made a shopping list. I want to flag the items for purchase. The list has over 500 items in it, so usually I want to search for the item to flag. You need to be in edit mode to flag an item, but it seems that there is no way to search for an item in edit mode and then find it and flag it. Once search finds the item, the flag option is not available and once you exit search mode, the found items are no longer shown (the whole list is). This makes it very impractical to use as a shopping list where one wants to find and flag a few items rather than scrolling through the entire list. Isn't there a way to do this?

Scoox

Reaction score
I have used ListPro on PalmOS since 2005. It is simply the one app I use 95% of the time. It does the job of several other dedicated apps. I can make shopping lists, I can keep contact details, set up alarms, do bus time tables, all of which are searchable in various useful ways.

I am yet to find such a wonderful app, and this is the only reason why I am not switching to Android. Android phones are amazing and I'd love to get one, but without ListPro I much prefer my simple Nokia phone and my trusty PalmOne Zire 72e. What I'll probably end up doing is getting an Android phone and still carry around my PalmOS device to run ListPro, until Ilium Software release a version for Android (if they ever do).

There is clearly a gap in the market waiting to be filled, although I am lead to believe that it may be a niche market because most users seem quite happy with one-level, one-field lists, which I personally find very limiting. I guess ListPro has "pro" in its name for a good reason. I for one would be willing to pay up to £150 for an Android version.

cabele

Reaction score
When I asked about ListPro for Android using the "contact us" link on the Ilium website last week, the response I got was "we have no plans to develop an Android version of ListPro". Which is really too bad - like so many people here, I've been using it for years and can't find anything that's a reasonable replacement for Android. How am I ever going to get rid of my Palm device?

Scoox

Reaction score
When I asked about ListPro for Android using the "contact us" link on the Ilium website last week, the response I got was "we have no plans to develop an Android version of ListPro". Which is really too bad - like so many people here, I've been using it for years and can't find anything that's a reasonable replacement for Android. How am I ever going to get rid of my Palm device?

That's the very same reply I got, I reckon they have a template answer for people like us. I think although ListPro is a very powerful app, the average user will look at ListPro and think "why would anyone want to use this??". ListPro is undoubtedly a great product but if it doesn't make business sense it's just not going to happen. All my friends have Android phones and they all are perfectly happy with a simple straightforward "shopping list" type app.

OP
pwjone1

pwjone1

Reaction score
That's the very same reply I got, I reckon they have a template answer for people like us. I think although ListPro is a very powerful app, the average user will look at ListPro and think "why would anyone want to use this??". ListPro is undoubtedly a great product but if it doesn't make business sense it's just not going to happen. All my friends have Android phones and they all are perfectly happy with a simple straightforward "shopping list" type app.

I wonder if illium is reconsidering, now that Android is #1, and the new Windows phone a bit of a washout so far. Looks like they've refocssed a bit on iPhone, so they're not totally ignoring reality.

Scoox

Reaction score
I wonder if illium is reconsidering, now that Android is #1, and the new Windows phone a bit of a washout so far. Looks like they've refocssed a bit on iPhone, so they're not totally ignoring reality.

That would be lovely... of course I won't hold my breath. Should an Android version become available I'll be reaching for my credit card very fast.

Semi_Synthetic

Reaction score

Thanks for starting this thread, Listpro is my favorite app of all time and it's driving me nuts not having it on my Android. After all this testing, what do you recommend? I'm looking for an app that can sync between my Android and desktop.

Thanks!

Jochen_K.

Reaction score
Hi,

there may have been a very slight change in Ilium's attitude - I just asked them again, mentioning Android's world wide market shre of 70%, ang got this reply:
The key expression may be "short term"; one can only hope!

----------------------------------------
"Unfortunately, we do not have any short term plans to develop ListPro for Android. I apologize for the inconvenience, and appreciate your patience.

If you have the desktop version of ListPro, you can export your list files to a text file. Then, with Microsoft Office or similar program, you can open the text file and choose to save as a .PDF file before transferring them to your Android device. This will provide you with a read-only .PDF version of your ListPro lists on your Android device."
------------------------------
Regards,

Jochen

JChapman

Reaction score

I wonder if there is a way to find and download a comparable app for android, to use the standard .clf list pro file/s? If not, find some way to convert the file/s to be used in the app?

kinlaw

Reaction score
HanDBase is the answer

I downloaded yesterday after MUCH research. This is the perfect replacement!

I have a Droid, and am in the process of moving over form a Windows Mobile phone, mostly I've found Droid Apps equivalent to what I had, but I have not found one yet to replace Listpro. Here's the URL:

Shopping lists, to do lists, grocery lists and checklists for Pocket PC, Palm and Smartphone - easily done with ListPro.

There seem to be various Apps that do lists, but ListPro has some functions I have yet to find on Android:

• Can Create Folders of Lists to organize them, multi-level
  • Can tailor the field definitions for each iitem/list (with a lot of example lists built in as templates)
  • Can easily control what's in a view (filters the checked off ones, or not, under user control)
  • Can sort items, fields, etc.

It also comes with Reference lists, built in, some examples:

• Area Codes
  • Metric Conversions
  • Phone Numbers
  • Airport codes
  • Airline Phone Numbers
  • etc.

Anyone know of anything Android that has this kind of functionality? The first three I list (Folders, Custom fields for Items, View control (hidden when checked, that sort of thing), are the most important.

Jochen_K.

Reaction score
Hi,

I tried to use HanDBase as a ListPro replacement about a year ago.

Unfortunately, I found that the one ListPro list I use most heavily - fine tuned to deal with my travelling expenses - wouldn't translate into HanDBase because I couldn't find any way to automatically compute totals.

At that time the developers told me that this was indeed not possible (yet? They didn't seem to agree on that), so I uninstalled HanDBase and used ListWizard Pro instead which just met my minimum requirements.

Does anyone know if this feature has since been added to HanDBase?

Kind Regards,

Jochen

Jochen_K.

Reaction score
Coincidences....

A while ago I contacted the ListWizard developers, because back in July they had told me about plans for their Android app, but since then there hadn't been any development at all.

Just now I received a disappointing message from them:

" We are working on a project in windows store app for both ListWizard and Checkmark To Do list App(Which we think will be the future for our cloud based product),* For now, we are not going to implement more features on ListWizard.* We will focus on Android app once windows store/phone app is in shape.Sorry about the decision."

Let's hope they get that other app into shape right quickly!