Listen to streaming radio on my droid?

spalding12

Reaction score
I have read reams about the $30 data plan Verizon offers. My take is...I can stream all I want...as long as I don't do any tethering. I can't believe I would stream any more than you serious droid heads do!!

100% true
there is NO DATA LIMIT for your droid..... UNtethered
use it "legally" and you are fully covered

mrharrisons

Reaction score
Streaming WBZ 1030 and WRKO's Howie Carr

I can't get at&t service in Blaine, WA- only Verizon. Therefore I need to purchase a Droid; but only if I can stream live my favorite radio stations from Boston WBZ 1030 and WRKO and WTKK. Can anyone tell me if there are any apps for the Droid which will specifically let me listen to my favorite Boston Talkers Howie Carr and Steve LeVielle?

schpoink

Reaction score
Online radio instructions

1) Download from the Market: "A Online Radio" It's free.

2) In the App on the Live tab, select Add Channel from the list of items.

3) In the Channel URL box type in the URL of whatever streaming radio station you fine.

For NPR, I highly recommend WXPN in Philadelphia. Here is the URL for the their live stream:

http://xpn-web.streamguys.com/xpn96a.asx

If you have a station you like better, find it on the web, click on their button that lets you listen live and then copy the URL from the browser's address bar into the box in the "Channel URL" box in step 3 (above).

My car stereo has an external headphone jack on it and using a $3 patch cable from Radio Shack, I plug one end into the Driod and the other in the stereo. It sounds great.

Along those lines, I'd also recommend "Google Listen". It will download over the air any podcast you choose to subscribe to and stream it. I simply don't listen to my radio anymore.

Driod's incredible!

Last edited:

MJ5150

Reaction score
I'd also recommend "Google Listen". It will download over the air any podcast you choose to subscribe to and stream it. I simply don't listen to my radio anymore.

I tried this app, but all I could find were RSS feeds. I could not get it to DL the podcasts from my favorite sports radio station. I ended up using Mediafly instead.

-Mike

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
You can stream a great many NPR stations on DroidLive as well. Free app. (Look under talk in the Genres )

NPRNews, another free app, will allow you to make a playlist of podcasts of their various shows.

schpoink

Reaction score
I'd also recommend "Google Listen". It will download over the air any podcast you choose to subscribe to and stream it. I simply don't listen to my radio anymore.

I tried this app, but all I could find were RSS feeds. I could not get it to DL the podcasts from my favorite sports radio station. I ended up using Mediafly instead.

-Mike

Um, I think most of the podcasts are delivered via RSS feeds, but I'm no expert.

In Google Listen, though, all you have to do is use the search button to find just about any show, click to listen now or subscribe.

RXX

Reaction score
I have read reams about the $30 data plan Verizon offers. My take is...I can stream all I want...as long as I don't do any tethering. I can't believe I would stream any more than you serious droid heads do!!

100% true
there is NO DATA LIMIT for your droid..... UNtethered
use it "legally" and you are fully covered

OK, this may be a little off topic, but still I am confused. If I am streaming, does tethering use any more data than being untethered? I still don't see any difference unless it costs V more.