List of standalone GPS app. for Droid X ?

Pumice

Reaction score
What are all the standalone GPS apps. for the Droid X.
Standalone = pre-loaded maps on the Droid X and not needing 3G/cell coverage for the GPS to work.

I will do a lot of driving in rural/countryside areas where cell coverage is mediocre and 3G is non existent.

The only company I can recall is Navigon, whos pre-loaded maps nor N.America is $40 (1 time fee).

I understand that Google Maps is downloaded live and not pre-loaded, so it will need 3G coverage.

Also if anyone is using Navigon or other standalone GPS, is there an option where you can choose a route for:
a)Shortest distance
b)Fastest route
c) most fuel economical

and Toll Booth avoidance.

Garmin's dedicated GPS offers the above .

techguru

Reaction score
Another voice is Ndrive. Costs less than Navigon, but somewhat inferior maps (imho... TeleAtlas vs Navteq) and far inferior user interface.

They have a free trial (7 or 10 days I think) so you can give out a try, but Navigon will only be $40 for another week and then will jump to $60.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using DroidForums App

techguru

Reaction score
Oh, to answer your question, out does fast, short, optimum (don't know what this means but is the default) and scenic. You can have out avoid tolls, highways, and ferries, and have it force residential roads (i assume for delivery routes). If you search the forum for Navigon, I wrote a fairly extensive review (i would link you, but hard to do from this interface)

Alan

OP
P

Pumice

Reaction score
Oh, to answer your question, out does fast, short, optimum (don't know what this means but is the default) and scenic. You can have out avoid tolls, highways, and ferries, and have it force residential roads (i assume for delivery routes). If you search the forum for Navigon, I wrote a fairly extensive review (i would link you, but hard to do from this interface)

Alan

Sorry, but what does "out" stand for?

I am looking for the best voice activated turn-by-turn GPS that has 3D graphics (i.e. 3d terrain modeling) and lane assist.

swallman

Reaction score

Alan

I am looking for the best voice activated turn-by-turn GPS that has 3D graphics (i.e. 3d terrain modeling) and lane assist.

I believe he meant "it", but since he was replying from his Droid, spellcheck changed them over to "out". ;)

techguru

Reaction score

Alan

I believe he meant "it", but since he was replying from his Droid, spellcheck changed them over to "out". ;)

Yeah, swype has trouble with it and out, and I didn't look close enough.

erisfan

Reaction score
You should try CoPilot.

Yes I have upgraded from the Eris

techguru

Reaction score
You should try CoPilot.

Yes I have upgraded from the Eris

Oh, yeah. CoPilot is nice and cheap for US only (reasonable for rest of world too). Also Teleatlas maps, so a bit more accurate in cities than rural areas, but no worse than Google maps.