List of running apps...

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I'm not sure where this fits, so I'm going to post here and will gladly move somewhere else, if necessary.

I've got the Z Force with the battery mod. Over the past few days, the battery is running down quickly AND hot. In the past, I was able to go in and see what apps were running in the background and disable or uninstall certain ones, if I needed to. I'm not seeing anything like that on this phone. I'm assuming it's Marshmallow that did away with this feature, ,but I could be wrong -- and it really doesn't matter LOL! The point is, I can't figure out how to find a list of everything running and sucking down my battery. There's got to be a way, isn't there?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Have you tried just a cache clear and reboot? Sometimes that will help clear out the app that is causing the drain?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Have you tried just a cache clear and reboot? Sometimes that will help clear out the app that is causing the drain?

Yes. That didn't help. Given my past experience with that CVS app, I'm thinking something changed recently with an update. If I could see what all's running, it would really be helpful.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Try Settings > Apps > three dot menu > Memory > Memory Used By Apps. That should list all apps running and using memory in highest to lowest order.

Last edited:
OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Try Settings > Apps > three dot menu > Memory > Memory Used By Apps. That's should list all apps running and using memory in highest to lowest order.

Android OS is top for one day (max amount of time to see). I'll watch things more closely over the weekend. I should have some time to doink around with it.

Remember when we could pull up Settings > Apps > Running? That's what I want Why would they do away with that?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm not sure. Uncle Google always knows what's best for us, I guess?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Here is another way to see "Running Apps" if you have Developer Options Enabled. Open Settings > Developer Options > Running Services. That's will also help show you what is currently running in the background.

If Developer Options is not enabled and you want to enable it, so this.

Open Settings> About Phone > Software Information> tap “Build number” seven times to enable Developer options. ...Go back to Settings menu and now you'll be able to see “Developer options” there.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Here is another way to see "Running Apps" if you have Developer Options Enabled. Open Settings > Developer Options > Running Services. That's will also help show you what is currently running in the background.

If Developer Options is not enabled and you want to enable it, so this.

Open Settings> About Phone > Software Information> tap “Build number” seven times to enable Developer options. ...Go back to Settings menu and now you'll be able to see “Developer options” there.

Ahhhhhh, thank you!!!

That's more like it!

If no one's told you lately, you rock, @Sajo! Kudos to you!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thank you, just happy to help where I can.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use an app called Watch Dog Lite. It shows what is using the cpu (draining battery) in foreground plus other goodies.
Here's a few screen shots. Nothing is misbehaving so it's kinda boring
9daef3a80b111094be3d6695e4a1671f.jpg

844c6c0ab64b896cd5c8c948c1cb970c.jpg

11fb60a20ed4b16def64f8fb8462373b.jpg

The one process, Surface Flinger, with the star beside it is basically the screen (to over simplify it). The star means I've white listed it to not alert me when the cpu spikes because it's kinda normal for it to do so, so it was false rogue alerts.
Hope that helps. It's free btw

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I use an app called Watch Dog Lite. It shows what is using the cpu (draining battery) in foreground plus other goodies.
Here's a few screen shots. Nothing is misbehaving so it's kinda boring
9daef3a80b111094be3d6695e4a1671f.jpg

844c6c0ab64b896cd5c8c948c1cb970c.jpg

11fb60a20ed4b16def64f8fb8462373b.jpg

The one process, Surface Flinger, with the star beside it is basically the screen (to over simplify it). The star means I've white listed it to not alert me when the cpu spikes because it's kinda normal for it to do so, so it was false rogue alerts.
Hope that helps. It's free btw

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><
Thanks, @mountainbikermark! I think I'll give that a try.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to see what it shows me. Thank you!

To change preferences, set alerts and all that stuff, long press your menu button. It doesn't have the 3 dot menu icon . By default it's set to not show processes, only apps but I set mine to show processes and changed the colors of foreground vs background things to be able to distinguish them at a glance better. Non shaded are used since last check but not currently running either back or fore. You can change all that stuff or just leave it default, which might be easier since you're just looking for a rogue app.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
To change preferences, set alerts and all that stuff, long press your menu button. It doesn't have the 3 dot menu icon . By default it's set to not show processes, only apps but I set mine to show processes and changed the colors of foreground vs background things to be able to distinguish them at a glance better. Non shaded are used since last check but not currently running either back or fore. You can change all that stuff or just leave it default, which might be easier since you're just looking for a rogue app.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><
That's good to know, thank you!