List of Recommended Widgets

Discussion in 'Android Applications Discussions' started by Daucus, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Daucus

Daucus New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    widg·et n.
    1. A program that performs some simple function, such as providing a weather report or stock quote, and can be accessed from a computer desktop, webpage, mobile phone or subscription television service.
    2. a small device in a beer can which, when the can is opened, releases nitrogen gas into the beer, giving it a head

Let's compile a list of our favorite widgets that we use on our home-screens on the Droid. Do not get this confused with apps, cause there is plenty of lists for those.
    To enter in a widget: Give a brief description of the widget, cost, category (to make searching easier for newcomers and for us to organize the list), and an optional picture of the widget in action.

Calendar

Android Agenda created by Everybody All the Time
    This widget auto-syncs with your google calendar, and allows you to add events right from the home screen. Very simple and easy to use. Cost free

Smooth Calendar created by Carl Cedergren
    Places a simple 1x4 calendar widget on the screen. Cost free

Clock

Beautiful Widgets created by LevelUp Studio
    Awesome, skinnable, large clock with weather and date. Click the weather for forecast, clock for alarm, date for calendar by default, but an update was just released today and you can now select ANY app to launch for each. Cost $2.00

Weather & Toggle Widget created by Android Apps
    Places a Clock and Weather (skin-able) widget on the home screen for easy viewing of current time and weather. Cost $1.99

Email

Gmail Unread Count created by Alexander Blom
    This widget basically replaces the simple gmail icon with a new icon. It displays the number of unread mail in the corner of the icon. Cost free

Misc

MotoTorch Led created by Ryan Alford
    Adds a Icon widget that simply turn your phone into a flashlight for easy access. Cost free and 99cent Donated version

Power Control comes stock with OS
    Places a 1x4 widget on the screen to have easy access to shut off GPS, Wifi, brightness, Bluetooth, and auto-sync. Cost Stock

Slideshow Widget created by Doug Hansknecht
    Places a picture frame on the home screen, showing a new picture periodically. Tap on a picture to open it up in the picture viewer. Cost 99 cents

Money

FireWallet created by James Gramata
    Not for the paranoid. Shows bank account balances from the firewallet app. Allows direct access to the main app screen, or to post a transaction quickly to an account. Offers a button for easily switching between which account is viewed as well. Cost Free (30 day demo) and $6.99

Music

News

Social

Facebook comes stock
    Easy access to update Facebook status and to view friends status. Cost Stock

Googole Buzz Widget
    Direct link to buzz, ability to post pics from the camera or gallery directly to buzz (without having to wait on the picasa to buzz sync to occur and with the ability to comment on your picture as you post it instead of posting later), ability to "share link via buzz" added to browser. Cost free

Weather

Beautiful Widgets created by LevelUp Studio
    Awesome, skinnable, large clock with weather and date. Click the weather for forecast, clock for alarm, date for calendar by default, but an update was just released today and you can now select ANY app to launch for each. Cost $2.00

Weather & Toggle Widget created by Android Apps
    Places a Clock and Weather (skin-able) widget on the home screen for easy viewing of current time and weather. Cost $1.99

#1 Daucus, Apr 8, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  2. Daucus

Daucus New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    reserved for later

3. Champers

Champers Member

Ratings:
    +0
    MotoTorch - one click access to camera LEDs
    Smooth Calendar - 1x4 calendar widget
    Weather & Toggle Widget (weather widget donate) - Flip clock/weather
    Power Control
    Slideshow Widget

4. dodgersrgood

dodgersrgood Member

Ratings:
    +0
    beautiful widgets! its only like a little over a dollar
    battery life (FREE)
    internal and sd card storage left
    screen mode widgets, auto-rotate, lock pattern on/off
    and the fml widget is pretty funny

5. jacklope

jacklope New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    MotoTorch
    Facebook
    Last.fm
    Pandora
    Google Search with Voice Search

6. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,437
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Power Control (STOCK)

Battery Left (FREE)
    Displays the estimated time your battery will die/percentage left/gives quick access to battery use/info/etc.

Beautiful Widgets (Beautiful Home widget) (PAID)
    Awesome, skinnable, large clock with weather and date. Click the weather for forecast, clock for alarm, date for calendar by default, but an update was just released today and you can now select ANY app to launch for each. :-D

CalWidget (FREE)
    A simple agenda widget that offers syncing to multiple calendars with customizable colors and sizes.

Googole Buzz Widget (FREE)
    Direct link to buzz, ability to post pics from the camera or gallery directly to buzz (without having to wait on the picasa to buzz sync to occur and with the ability to comment on your picture as you post it instead of posting later), ability to "share link via buzz" added to browser.

FireWallet (part of a PAID app)
    Not for the paranoid. Shows bank account balances from the firewallet app (I've code-named my accounts and don't put any account numbers or anything in the app for my own security). Allows direct access to the main app screen, or to post a transaction quickly to an account. Offers a button for easily switching between which account is viewed as well. (I keep this on an outer-lying screen while using Helix for additional homescreens, so there's little chance people will see it accidentally and I like it...I rarely let someone play with my Droid unsupervised anyway.)

Sorry to not provide prices for the paid ones, but I can't access

7. RedBull

RedBull Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Music - "3" - Free
    Internal Memory/External Memory/Battery Life - Mini Info - Free

8. Daucus

Daucus New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I'm looking up the prices for ya

9. Talon8Ya

Talon8Ya Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy Note 8
    Twitter:
    TalonTech1
    Great thread.
    Now I have some more widgets to try out.

10. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,437
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    HOLY ####! FireWallet costs THAT MUCH now!? I bought it when I had the G1 and I swear it was only $2-3. Still an incredibly handy app, but dang...

11. givequicheachance

Ratings:
    +0
    I figure everyone knows about some of the popular apps like Aldiko, Astrid, Documents To Go, Pandora, etc, so here are a few that I haven't heard anyone else say much about:

Calendar

Calendar Pad Pro
    Paid app that syncs your google calendar. Unlike the stock app, you can see events and categories in month view. Don't remember the cost.

Misc

Sleepytime

Paid app, plays white noise (dozens of sounds ranging from the ocean to crickets to chimes to vacuum cleaners) Great timer function, sounds are great. I don't remember how much I paid, but it was less than $3 and it was worth it.

Music

Music Control Lite

Uses the stock music player, but allows it to map controls to the hardware camera button, allowing you to pause/play/skip without taking your droid out of your pocket. Free.

Social

Nimbuzz
    Best IM app I've found (ebuddy is spotty and ugly, meebo works great but the text and [especially] the emoticons are teensy). Works with AIM/MSN/Yahoo/Google Talk/ICQ/About a dozen others. Cost Free

On a side note, I see a lot of people talking about/buying/downloading clock apps. If that's what you want, far be it from me to judge, but what do people use giant clock widgets for? There's a clock in the notification bar that you can see on every homescreen, and if you need a larger clock to watch you can always pull up the stock clock app which looks very nice. Why would you want one as a widget? Am I missing something?

12. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,437
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I purchased beautiful widgets because 1. I can customize the look and 2. I really like how it combines the clock, date and weather all in one widget with shortcuts to respective apps. I like that I don't have to put a boring icon on my screen for the alarm clock, calendar, and any sort of weather app and I really like how clean it all looks. :D Plus, the dev is AWESOME and very responsive. I purchased his Twitter app (touiteur, which also has widgets) even though I'm not a big fan of Twitter just to support his quality work.

BTW, I've seen free apps that work just like that calendar you paid for... :p

Search tags for this page
1x4 galaxy weather widget
1x4 android widgets
1x4 starbucks widget
android 1x4 widget
android calendar 1x4
clock date widget 1x4 app android

droid widgets list

motorola droid widgets list

recommended widgets for android list
weather widget 1x4