list of issues since 4.4

DOORZ

Reaction score
So...Backup, Reflash, Reset, and Restore!
And enjoy the outcome! You might be surprised! Even a computer needs a fresh load of the operating system at times! Your phone is no different! ;)

Happy phones to you all! ;)

I can understand having a clean OS, but why would would you need to do a hard reset twice? I have issues with my device in which i will miss calls and have problems with sending text messages. Had done a hard reset once and re-installed all apps clean, not from a backup and it didn't make any difference.

Nugiange

Reaction score
Did factory reset. Texting issue went away for a few days but has returned.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
Not sure how to go about doing that

Ok. First off all...Do you have Verizon? If that is a yes. You can use the software repair assistant tool. It will ask to install when you plug the phone into the computer. On the left side click repair assistant. If not...go and download Samsung kies at the following address and under tools you will select reinitialize an reset.

www.samsung.com/kies

Last edited:

Nugiange

Reaction score
Talked to Verizon today. Long story short, they admitted that there is a problem with some phones after the Kitkat update. I will be receiving a new phone tomorrow.

eek88dj

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
Talked to Verizon today. Long story short, they admitted that there is a problem with some phones after the Kitkat update. I will be receiving a new phone tomorrow.
A refurbished phone not new...

DOORZ

Reaction score
The update is definitely crap. Verizon trying troubleshooting all sorts of things and ended up sending me another phone. With the replacement phone I have the same issues and crappy signal strength. The worst thing is that the 2 places I need to use my phone the most, at home and at work is where my phone is the most useless. I did not have any of these issues prior to this update and unfortunately stuck until they do something about the radio issue.

DOORZ

Reaction score
Ok. First off all...Do you have Verizon? If that is a yes. You can use the software repair assistant tool. It will ask to install when you plug the phone into the computer. On the left side click repair assistant. If not...go and download Samsung kies at the following address and under tools you will select reinitialize an reset.

www.samsung.com/kies

I have attempted to reinitialize and rest via Kies and I receive the following message. After putting model number and IMEI it recognized the phone as being Verizon and it was downloading the firmware. I assume once the firmware was downloaded it was attempting to apply the firmware and came up with the message below. The phone was in download mode per the Kies instructions.

g97gAucgcXpqwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Verizon sent me another phone and it wasn't any better so i figured i would try this on the previous phone before sending it back. Any thoughts since it appears you have done this several times to your phone?

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
For some reason I cannot see the image you posted...If you can type the message out or PM it to me. I can then attemp to assist you further. I have done this many times so, I will do my best. Also just to let you know, it took two weeks if my phine training to the low signal to fix the issues on mine

DOORZ

Reaction score
I am not sure why the image from Kies didnt shwo up, but I was able to use Verizon's repair assistant and was able to reload the firmware. If i compare signal strength it seems to be better, but i would say its not like it was before the 4.4 update. You mentioned that you had reloaded yours twice, why did you do that twice? Did you get marginal improvement the first time and better performance the second time or did something not work correctly after the first one?

I have a little more hope at this point.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Did you get marginal improvement the first time and better performance the second time or did something not work correctly after the first one?

I have a little more hope at this point.

I thought the problem was still with the phone. But the problem persisted even after the second reflash. It took hours upon hours of letting the radio learn and adjust in 3G mode to retrain the settings. It has something to do with the software change. This is what I did to fix it the rest of the way...

1. Find location in house where signal is low.

2. Turn off Wifi connection. And plug in to outlet.

3. In Settings/Connections/More Networks/Mobile Networks/ Set to CDMA.

4. Leave phone to attain 4G signal.

5. Use phone around while traveling.

6. When you return home. Plug in and change to GSM/UMTS. WAIT 5 mins. Cancel all prompts.

7. Change to CDMA AGAIN. let attain 4G.

8. Change to GSM/UMTS. WAIT 5 mins. Cancel all prompts. After the wait when it prompts again. Hit ok for global.

9. Repeat steps above for Global mode.

10. Turn off phone in global mode. Turn on and repeat until problem is resolved.

11. After signal is stable, repeat with WiFi enabled.

DOORZ

Reaction score
I appreciate your help and will certainly try your suggestions

My delima now is do i keep my original phone or do I keep the replacement phone Verizon sent me. Based upon re-updating the firmware on my old phone it certainly seemed to help, just not sure which one I keep. The replacement I received was not marked as re-furbished so it makes me believe it's new, by maybe Verizon stopped packaging the phones that way.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I appreciate your help and will certainly try your suggestions

My delima now is do i keep my original phone or do I keep the replacement phone Verizon sent me. Based upon re-updating the firmware on my old phone it certainly seemed to help, just not sure which one I keep. The replacement I received was not marked as re-furbished so it makes me believe it's new, by maybe Verizon stopped packaging the phones that way.

the only way to tell the difference is the sticker inside the battery compartment. If your original one is the one you purchased I would keep that one. If there both refurbs it really doesn't matter. I hope that helps