Linx, Mac, and rooting

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by mrnelson86, Jan 29, 2010.

1. mrnelson86

mrnelson86 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've read in full at least 10 of the threads on this forum that are 10+ pages long talking about ROMs and Rooting and all of that stuff... I am interested in rooting but DO NOT have a windows cpu. I have a laptop running ubuntu, a macbook pro, and a mac mini. Is rooting possible on any of these? I've been holding off rooting until maybe 2.1 comes out, plus I don't want to void my warranty...however after reading those threads I learned that it is possible to unroot and retain your warranty, as far as verizon is concerned that is, so I am now even more interested in rooting and modifying my droid. I am of course still nervous about it but I'll get over that once I learn if I can even accomplish it with my current CPU setup.

Edit: Typo on subject line...can't fix "Linux"

2. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it is possible on ALL of them.

In fact, it is possible to root, install the recovery console, and even load up a new ROM *entirely* from the Droid itself. That's what I did.

The only thing you can't do without ADB is flash a kernel image. You CAN, however, install a rom that comes with a new kernel image, and it will flash it for you.

EDIT: You may want to have access to a PC (mac, linux, windows, whatever) to send yourself the files you need (via email or something) so that you can get to them from the Droid.

3. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
Search tags for this page

linx for mac