Linux Savy Droid Noob - HI & A Few Questions

Miller88

Reaction score
I just moved in from a blackberry. I got tired of pulling the battery multiple times a day, having the phone burning up my pocket, 2 hours of battery life idle and dropping calls all the time. Figured since I'm a Linux/Solaris guy, I'd give a droid a shot.

Bought a Motorola Droid 2.2 with keyboard

I LOVE this thing ... if for no other reason than running a Linux based OS! The GPS is actually accurate (Best blackberry could do was "Your location within 4000 meters"), there are competent web browsers, SSH client and loads of free apps.

I have a few questions about this ... I'll be doing some searching eventually but if it's not possible, it'd be cool to know ahead of time.

• Can it be underclocked/overclocked?
  • Can I get a root shell on this?
  • Can I edit /etc/hosts or is the file system ro ?
  • Can I compile some sort of samba server for it?
  • Can I compile some sort of apache2/mysql/php for it?

Thanks!

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Good to have you with us. I have a rooted Droid and the GPS in it is better than the built in GPS in my RX350. Check out the entire Droid2 section in the Forum. You will find a lot of very helpful information in the different sections.

I believe you can do the first two on your list. Not sure about the last three.

Mike

akstyle450

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Current Phone Model
pixel xl
im a decent linux user, not sure about the last couple things, but rooting your phone will certainly allow you to underclock/overclock as well as the other things!

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the community and I know the first 2 are possible not sure on the rest but im sure someone here knows about those 3. The GPS is very good in my experiences and much better than the BB GPS. I hope you enjoy your stay with the community

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

ldouble_e

Reaction score
Miller88, welcome to the forums. I opened a terminal as superuser and changed directories to etc and ran 'ls -l', Hosts shows "-rw-r--r-- root" I have not attempted to make changes to "hosts" but this says I have write permission under su. I'm also sure 'chmod' would work too.
For samba I'm not 100%, but try Estrongs File Manager in the market. I've had control of my windows 7 desktop using my droid through a VPN. I've also done an SSH connection to access my terminal on my linux box through the phone. Dropbox also works well for file transfers. As far as apache/mysql/php I don't have an answer for you.