1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Linux On Droid?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Melon Bread, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Melon Bread

Melon Bread New Member

2. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

well android pretty much is linux, but im sure its possible, but i dont think it has really been worked on for the droid yet
  3. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Yea, Android is Linux.
  4. Melon Bread

Melon Bread New Member

Yes Android Is Based ON The Linux Kernal, But It Can Not Run Linux Apps (wich is my goal), not big ones just minor ones.
  5. GiantDroid

GiantDroid New Member

6. Melon Bread

Melon Bread New Member

Thats what I was thinking since the Droid's hardware is > than the G1's
  7. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Actually, its all semantics.

Linux isn't an OS, its a kernel. The surrounding applications compose the OS, and what we perceive today as "Linux" is actually GNU/Linux. So going on that premise, and that there are so many pieces it does share with GNU/Linux, its closer to the "Linux" OS than you might think.

Even the gcc compiler is present. It would probably be less of a task to find what dependencies are missing for running particular Linux apps and porting those to run on Android, than porting an entire distribution of GNU/Linux.
  8. Melon Bread

Melon Bread New Member

I know, I Said Its A Kernal :)
    Hmmm, How Would I Go about Installing The dependencies on me droid?
  9. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Find an application, research its dependencies, see if they are present, if not, find a way to install them if at all possible. You obviously have to be rooted to do this, because every CLI app under the sun is locked down....

I'm no expert, but if I was looking for something to do, thats the path I would go.
  10. Melon Bread

Melon Bread New Member

I mean what are the commands via terminal (I am novice to linux, I have been using linux mint for about 1.5 months, and everything I install is a .deb file)
  11. zudien

zudien New Member

Then this may not be for you.

A .deb file is a binary file that includes instructions to install a said program. .deb files require dpkg. I don't know if there is a gcc compiler out there for android. I know Debian has an ARM distro.

However if you were hard up on continuing. You would need to find the program you wanted to install. Check the dependencies and installl and compile accordingly

So for instance. If you wanted to run nano (a terminal based text editor)

You would have to download the source and use a compiler to compile the source into a program.

Now if you wanted to run a pretty program (outside of a terminal) you would have to compile and install x.org to run your gnu/linux program. After you have x11 module compiled and installed you then have to figure out some code to keep them from overlapping and working side by side within one another.

Android does not include x11 it uses a java virtual machine (Dalvik) as the display manager.

So....

Your best bet if you wanted to run a gnu/linux program on your droid is to use the source package to rewrite it for dalvik. Then compile it using the Android SDK and test it using the android emulator and then you might have a program you could install.

When most people use the word linux they are referring to gnu/linux. GNU is an operating system that is most commonly applied over the linux kernel.

Android uses the linux kernel. The similarities end there.

Linux is a kernel. This is the software absctraction that lies just above the hardware. It interfaces with the hardware from commands from the higher software. It loads up drivers and modules to do this interfacing.

anyways

What program(s) did you want to run?
  12. zudien

zudien New Member

So I read that link.

As far as I know there is no debian distro for the droid yet. So this isn't even possible yet.

Further, this seems to be of little use to most people. This DOES NOT allow you to run your linux programs seemlessly. This allows you to run a vnc view locally on your phone so you can see the linux desktop behind it.

So in other words,

you would install debian
    install a desktop enviroment (which would install xwindows) in debian
    install a vnc viewer in android
    open up your vnc viewer in android to view the debian installation

This is awkward. And probably resource intensive. You are going to get some pretty ****ty results if you want something fast. Frankly I would rather just port the program over to android and use it natively.

If you don't feel like porting it over

I would sink some money into JPC (JPC)

to create an android port. Or port it over yourself.

If JPC would be ported over to android....you would start to see some pretty cool stuff.
  13. ei8htohms

ei8htohms New Member

FWIW, Nano has already been ported the Droid. Check Alldroid when it comes back online.
  14. zudien

zudien New Member

I assumed so. Just used as a simple example and the first terminal program I could think of.
Search tags for this page
do droid use linux apps

droid linux

droid x linux install
droit linux
how to install linux on motorala droid
how to replace os on droid with linux

linux droid

linux mint droidx driver
linux on a droid

linux on droid

linux on droid x