Linux+Android Dual boot?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by BartJJ, May 17, 2010.

1. BartJJ

BartJJ Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was just curious as to if it was possible to do an android/linux dual boot setup on the droid. Now I am very well aware of android being based of linux to an extent but it would be nice to have a FULL desktop in your pocket (and linux is so light i think the droid could handle it especially if someone could get a swap file on the sd card to cooperate nicely with it). I know if they can port android to the iphone with dual boot android that linux has to be within reach for us in my opinion. Also, you can actually run linux off a flash drive so internal memory wouldn't be an issue i don't think the only issue would be making a functional bootscreen to choose the OS (prehaps port one off of one of the crappy chinese tablets that have windows ce, linux, and android?) Another problem I kind of see would be the issue of just phone/data connectivity that would be the main thing but idk what are you guys opinions? I would be willing to do the alpha/beta testing if needed if someone has the expertise but needs testers.

-thanks

EDIT: forgot to mention I know that it was ported to the G1 a while back (like last year around this time) so maybe someone could use some of its coding to do it easily? Not very savvy on that kind of stuff

2. tktouch12

tktouch12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    there are definately linux distros small/light enough to work with a swap file, but i dont think the touch drivers and other drivers have been developed. then dual booting would add another piece to an already difficult puzzle. i would love to see a dual boot of some kind with linux though

3. OldNuc

OldNuc New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  4. BartJJ

BartJJ Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks oldnuc ill look into it... Since alldroid is gone (or down or OOC no one knows) do you mind reposting the instructions that were on the site? If you would I would be happy to submit a walk through video on how to do it

5. kole

kole New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Here you go(google cache): Google cache

6. tktouch12

tktouch12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    o my goodness. i want that. it isnt dual booted is it? if someone made it dual booted i would be amazed.

7. OldNuc

OldNuc New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Good thing google cache is out there as i neglected to capture the instructions either. I suspect that there are instructions burred on the Ubuntu Forum also but finding them will be a job. I thought I saw a detailed how to on the Ubuntu Forum a while ago. Not really sure where it was but not a Android centered forum. You can fit the entire full Ubuntu distro on a 32GB SD card. So if you have a class 6 or better card you would be able to fire up a functional OS.

8. brando56894

brando56894 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats pretty sweet but Im happy with android, I have linux on my netbook and desktop anyway.

9. modernheretic

modernheretic New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Grrr, perhaps it's because I've never used Google Cache before, but I can't get the above cached link to function. I'm desperate for the install instructions! Anyone able to assist me on this? If it's not a bother, could you post instructions here, a direct link here, or instructions for getting the cached instructions to work. Barring that, send them to me via PM or email?

ian.modernheretic at gmail dot com

10. OldNuc

OldNuc New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  11. modernheretic

modernheretic New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks man. Believe me, I've definitely gone to google and searched. I've got a ton of links relevant to the G1, but I'm specificly looking for a Droid how-to. The G1 lacked ext2 capability so the guides for it are done with overcoming that limit in mind. Also, they seem to create symlinks to objects not relevant to the Droid.

12. OldNuc

OldNuc New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I used Debian Droid as the search terms and after eliminating all the pointers to the dead ALLDroid this is the first one that caught my eye just now. X11 on Android - Hack a Day Its going to be a matter of reinventing the wheel though.

Destroying knowledge either by burning books or bits is highly frowned upon.:mad:

This seems to have ben the original source. http://www.androidfanatic.com/unofficial-app-repo.html

13. BlueFire

BlueFire New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is a total noob question, but I'm interested in dual booting my device as well... but what is stored on the internal memory and what is stored on the sd card? (ie. is it possible to manually swap the memory card?)

14. 7h3.4pp12en7ic3

7h3.4pp12en7ic3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It can be done, but it's definitely not for the faint of heart.

15. Dejuanxg

Dejuanxg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Dud you or did you not think someone might click the same like you stole that quote from and think you could get away with making it seem like you knew what you were talking about?

Search tags for this page
android boot linux
android dual boot linux

android linux dual boot

boot linux android
boot linux on android

dual boot android and linux

dual boot android linux

dual boot linux and android

dual boot linux android

dual boot linux on android