Linked Contacts using Facebook/Twitter Contact name??

Discussion in 'Droid X Tech Support' started by lzacker, Jul 21, 2010.

1. lzacker

lzacker New Member

Hi Team,

After linking my facebook & twitter accounts to my Droid X, the contact names changed to reflect the contacts Facebook or Twitter name. Now i can see how this would happen, but I CANNOT CHANGE THE NAME!!!

I have tried every variation of settings, contacts and even order in which i link the contacts, but nothing works and there seems to be no logic to it, but this is what i discovered so far:
    Linked to Google contacts only - Google contact name
    Facebook & Google - Facebook name
    Twitter & Google - Twitter name
    Twitter & Facebook - Random...either twitter or facebook name
    Twitter, Facebook & Google - Random...either twitter or facebook name

The crazy part is - I cannot rename the contact what I want unless I unlink the facebook or twitter account. I have tried everything.

Please, someone, anyone, tell me they know how to fix this or that a change is coming that will addres this.
  2. Takenumbrage

Takenumbrage New Member

I have this exact issue too, except, I'm not using twitter. I'm new to Android but haven't found a fix yet. This effects manually linking accounts as well as the automatically linking for me.
  3. dwd3885

dwd3885 New Member

same problem for me. I hate this. I want to change the name and I can't. Bug or just the way it is? It wasn't like that in Sense
  4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

So has anybody taken a trip over to their Gmail page to see what it looks like over there? Gmail is your backup so those same contacts should be in gmail too (I believe). Check out your groups and stuff over there. I don't have mine set up like that, I am sync with twitter but I don't see twitter people in my gmail. Well, I see some with email addresses but not unless they have that or a phone number.
  5. JDizzle

JDizzle New Member

I also have the same exact problem. It is very annoying, and I have no idea how to fix it.
  6. wondermonkie

wondermonkie New Member

I have the same issue. I am thinking its a bug, I sure hope they fix this issue.
  7. MattyGroch

MattyGroch New Member

This is the single most infuriating thing and the only gripe I have about this phone. Most of the time it will use the Twitter account as the display name in the contact list. I read elsewhere that editing your contacts directly in Gmail will help this, but your Gmail account doesn't have any of the linked information.

This is driving me absolutely crazy. I've just been leaving contacts unlinked because I can't stand the way it's handled. All I want is an option to pick which of the linked accounts is the default display name for that contact.

I know that it doesn't affect the search function of the contacts, but I still find it annoying.
  8. statix

statix New Member

Same problem here; it seems like Twitter names take precedence when there are Google, Facebook, and Twitter accounts. Yes, very annoying and I'd like to be able to list all of my contacts by actual name (and select/specify what name to use).
  9. jrac86

jrac86 New Member

Same Issue

I have the same issue - it has to be a bug in their software.. It's extremely annoying having to keep the contacts seperated instead of having them all linked under the name I want them to have. Has anyone brought this to motorola's attention?
  10. BasementTrix

BasementTrix New Member

My girlfriend and I both have this issue with our DroidX's. It gets confusing. The good news is that the search button in Contacts will still find the contact by name, even when the displayed name is not correct.
  11. rolandct

rolandct New Member

+1

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  12. BasementTrix

BasementTrix New Member

The bad news is that Voice Dial keys on the display name.
  13. billyanks2

billyanks2 New Member

bumped a similar topic, bumping this one in the hopes that one of the topics catch someone's eye.
  14. wondermonkie

wondermonkie New Member

Has Motorola even acknowledged this bug? Can anyone see post regarding it, on any other site? I just hope it gets fixed when we get Froyo.
  15. bruski

bruski New Member

Same problem here. For me, the Twitter name takes precedence over everything else. I love the concept of having all of a contact's accounts linked together, but it doesn't do me much good if I can't choose the display name. It's also irritating for contacts who put something in front of their name on Facebook (like a dash or an apostrophe).
  16. kalaolani

kalaolani New Member

Same Issue Here...

Same frustration here too...

This seems like a functional detail that should been dealt with quickly by the app developers. You should have complete control over naming and aliasing.

Any App Developer care to comment?

It still seems that you need the speed of Droid but with the data control and flexibility of Windows Mobile to truly meet my expectations.
  17. daddy3000

daddy3000 New Member

A small fix...with hit or miss results

Hey all, I was able to correct some of my linked accounts. I unlinked them and chose the opposite account first. Example: 1st time around, I looked up Google contact and linked to Facebook the name changed to what I didn't want. 2nd time around: I unlinked, chose the Facebook contact 1st, linked to Google, and the name was what I wanted.

This worked for some and not for others..I don't know why.
  18. bobthebob

bobthebob New Member

Yes - same.

VERY ANNOYING.

I guess that's what we should expect from a feature that's named "Blur"

fail.

I encourage you all to go to the Motorola Forums and post on this - I'm going there right now.
Search tags for this page
android rename linked contact
can twitter be linked to facebook to get contacts
choose display name linked contact android
droid facebook name over contact name

droid x how do you change contact name facebook

how do i link facebook contacts with moto x

how to link android contacts with twitter

suddenly can't change contact names
twitter contacts android
twitter names in contacts