Link2SD on GPA19...

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by shawner47, Jan 8, 2012.

1. shawner47

shawner47 New Member

I apologize if this has been posted/answered before but I can't seem to find it.

Does anyone have or know how to get Link2SD working with an ext4 partition? I just can't get it to work. I always get an error that the device is not found when L2SD tues to create the mount scripts.

I have verified the existence of the sdext2 folder via root explorer but for some reason it won't mount. This is with either Pete's v3 kernels or with primes kernels. I am at a loss...

Swyped from my BNTV250 using Tapatalk
  2. meishkov

meishkov New Member

I no longer use link2sd but when I did I remember I had to use prime's link2sd preinstall .zip that he has posted. I could never get it to work without that, and a jacked-up busybox was the only other thing that would prevent me from using it. BJustut never update busybox, and use that preinstall zip from prime, and it should create that mount bootup script once you start link2sd. Not sure about any other kernels tho
  3. shawner47

shawner47 New Member

Yeah, I've used primes kernel but didn't think to do anything with busybox. I'll check on that and give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion!

4. meishkov

meishkov New Member

No don't update busybox. I made that mistake and it took me forever to figure out what kept screwing up my link2sd mounting script that link2sd created but could no longer. Not sure about gpa19 but I'm on winner00's latest and last cm7 build and the busybox has never been an issue, along with all the previous versions of all the builds. Like I said on prime's kernel he has the link2sd preinstall zip to use, but I'm not sure what it exactly does... like on some other kernel maybe just manually load the right driver or whatever like ext2 or ext3.ko in /system/etc/lib/modules/ I think they're in. I think just loading the right one with a different kernel would make it work, or I could be wrong and prime's zip does something else? Regardless, either way we'll get you through this!!:icon_ lala:
  5. shawner47

shawner47 New Member

OK, got it working... did a little more sifting through search and found this: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...ons/141637-problem-link2sd-2.html#post1484728

After doing modprobe ext4 and then mounting the partition manually in terminal emulator, I opened Link2SD and lo and behold, it was showing me my ext partition info! Now, I am not sure if it will hold up after reboot yet (and that is actually not extremely important to me just yet), but now that I know what the deal is, I am sure it will be pretty simple to get it running permanently.

Thanks for your help meishkov! I truly appreciate it. :)
  6. rkpeterson

rkpeterson New Member

I have been able to get Link2sd and DTa2sd working on every ROM i've had on my phone except Pete's, the problem I have had is that Pete's ROM's do not use init.d so the scripts as is do not get loaded at boot.
  7. shawner47

shawner47 New Member

Aha! THAT explains why the scripts won't run! I had no idea. Thank you! I think I'll probably just run it as a fat32 partition then and hopefully not have to worry about it. I have been the same in using on any ROM I've used except this one. Always wondered why and could never find an answer. At least its not me then.
  8. BrUhNiGGs

BrUhNiGGs New Member

Yeah I dont like to mess with Link2SD anymore. It just really got on my nerves. Am I the only the one that expierences problems where my linked apps dont load after a reboot? Until I hotboot, then they load but it's just too much of a hassle..
  9. shawner47

shawner47 New Member

I get that every once in a while. Doesn't really bother me since I know to quick boot if the shortcuts don't show on my home screen. For the age of this phone, and the limitations, an extra hot boot isn't that big a deal... at least until I can upgrade (1 month! DancingNexus).
  10. meishkov

meishkov New Member

That is weird, you'd think all custom ROMs would use the same startup sequences so to speak to avoid confusion like this. But I guess since Pete's GPA series are mostly stock, so since stock doesn't implement That init.d folder at startup ,then that explains it.

Yea I've given up on link2sd awhile ago as well, was sick of having to do hot boots after every single bootup, not to mention the hassle when wiping and flashing an update to that ROM or a new ROM God forbid. I like having as much internal space available as possible ,so I like the idea. I've heard a little in the past about data2sd and a few other things. What is DTa2sd? Seems like this is a dead practice and topic, that for some reason nobody wants to move all your apps and their related system files to.the SD card. My OEM class2 card I'm sure isn't up to the task tho...what about moving all the cache and dalvik-cache to the SD? Read somethin about That awhie ago, like a year ago, nothin recently. Did that turn out to be completely counter productive for our devices?

Sent from my OG using DroidForums
  11. BrUhNiGGs

BrUhNiGGs New Member

Yeah, i kind of made mistake of partitioning my sd card. If theres a way to unpartition it, i'd be glad. Sadly i found no luck. I dont mess with the adb sh*t. Lol

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  12. shawner47

shawner47 New Member

You can remove the partitions with MiniTool Partition Wizard. Just make sure to back up your data on the card first before you change the partitions. If you made an ext partition and need the data, download a Linux Live CD (I use Ubuntu 11.10) and boot from that to get the data off of the card.

I just did this with my 32GB that I had partitioned FAT32, ext4 and swap. Pulled the ext data (Link2SD stuff) onto my PC, then copied it on to my other card with 2 FAT32's and swap. Easy peasy.
  13. BrUhNiGGs

BrUhNiGGs New Member

Isn't ubuntu a whole different OS for open development? So I'd have to download that over my windows7?

14. rkpeterson

rkpeterson New Member

DTa2sd (DarkTremor's A2SD check out the thread on XDA) similar to link2sd as it moves apps to ext partition but, imho a better implementation. With the a2sd script you can move Dalvik cache to ext also. I've used link2sd and DTa2sd for quite some time now and like DTa2sd much better. There are no issues with widgets and I have never experienced any issues with apps not being there after a reboot. I have run it on every ROM out there for the OG other than GPA/Bugless because of the lack of init.d. (and I am sure I can make that happen too, just have not spent the time figuring it out)
  15. shawner47

shawner47 New Member

It's a version of Linux, yes. You can download it and using the tutorial on the Ubuntu download page, create a live boot CD. It won't do anything to your Windows install (unless you tell it to) and you can use it just like you would if you had installed it. This will give you access to the ext partitions and the data on there.

HTH

Also, I'm going to have to look into that DTa2sd now. I like better! lol
  16. BrUhNiGGs

BrUhNiGGs New Member

Wait so would it basically act like a program opened on my windows like a virtual machine?

17. shawner47

shawner47 New Member

Not exactly... Though I do believe you can install it alongside Windows and in effect, yes, run it like a VM. I run it from a boot CD (shut down Windows and boot from the CD into the Linux environment).

Look here: Download | Ubuntu and click on I want to run from a CD or USB stick. I am not sure what the option to run in Windows does for sure as I haven't tried it yet.
  18. meishkov

meishkov New Member

Thanks for the advice and tips dear friend! I will have to look into that definitely. I remember seeing somethin regarding moving apps and dalvik to SD with the name DarkTremor attached to it. I scour xda every now and again to see What the latest is, but it seems to be more milestone and all other devices besides the OG. I know they started the alpha ice cream sandwich on there, but as far as the OG is concerned xda can't compare to the support that droidforums offers. Second to none. I've always just assumed that DF was more for the OG on Verizon and xda is more for other worldwide devices and carriers. I guess having an over 2 year old device could explain the lack of support development and excitement for the OG over there :)

Sent from my OG using DroidForums
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  19. rkpeterson

rkpeterson New Member

20. shawner47

shawner47 New Member

Man, if I could figure out how to get init.d working on bugless I would be one happy human. Looks like I need to get to reading.

Search tags for this page

a2sd darktremor jelly bean

does link2sd work on s4
link 2 sd zip xda
link+2sd+for s4
link2sd kernels
link2sd not link after reboot in 4.2.2

link2sd-preinstall

terminal emulator link2sd