Likely getting at least one new D3 Thurs or Fri.

doogald

Reaction score
Says who? It showed up on Motorola documents that Droid Life posted that it's supposed to get Ice Cream Sandwich

Read that post again: that's the author's best guess.

Motorola has neither confirmed nor denied that the D3 will get an official ICS upgrade. So, the real answer is that we do not know yet.

(BTW, I agree that it likely will get an upgrade, though perhaps not what most people are thinking - i.e., it may be missing many of the features that people are associating with ICS. But, that's also a guess.)

blackmagick20

Reaction score
Read that post again: that's the author's best guess.

Motorola has neither confirmed nor denied that the D3 will get an official ICS upgrade. So, the real answer is that we do not know yet.

(BTW, I agree that it likely will get an upgrade, though perhaps not what most people are thinking - i.e., it may be missing many of the features that people are associating with ICS. But, that's also a guess.)

I would think that since the Bionic will be getting it, the D3 would. I mean...it's basically a Bionic with a keyboard

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Snoking

Reaction score
Bionic has 4G, D3 does not. After reading reviews on all the newer phones I think I will keep my old og going for a another 4 or 6 months and take another look. Chris

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Agree with all the positive comments here, D3 is rock solid. A couple minor thoughts:

- The D3 is my second smartphone (OG Droid is #1) and of course the step up in screen size, RAM, and CPU are awesome.

- I'm with doogald on the bloat -- I'm rooted (stock), but it's not an issue for me. I just ignore the flashy icons. ;)

- As I understand the D4 *will* get upgraded to a world-phone (this was a real kick in the crotch for me). There was a short update here a few weeks back, but I didn't read the fine print (e.g., GSM radio included?).

- Keyboard is superb.

- Check the margin between the capacitive icons and the bottom edge -- on some units (I returned one) when they light up (in a dark room), there is leakage/bleed where the glass meets the bezel.

- Check the power button. Push the living frack out of it -- not hard, but multiple times. Mine came a little uneven, and is hard to push -- my wife's came straight and tight, but is now pretty saggy (takes multiple pushes).

- Work the camera hard too. Some complain of "bluish" pictures. Supposedly third-party camera apps have faster load time and take better shots.

- I've read multiple complaints that the phone sits "too tight" in the dock, presumably because of the HDMI port. Apparently can't "grab it and run" with one hand like you can on the D1. I've also read a thread or two here about removing the HDMI port in the dock to address the issue.

- Verizon has worked hard to lock out "free" tethering. I don't have a custom ROM, so not sure which ones have a built-in workaround. I *have* gotten BT tethering to work (beautifully) using Wireless Tether (not the newer Wifi version), but it only works 1 in 20 tries. Not sure why, but I'm working on that issue.

Keep us posted -- I'm sure you'll love it. :)

-Matt

OP
S
Reaction score
Welp I am having an issue still with a credit on my account that will not clear out till the 15th so I can't get anything from a third party until then which will really suck if the d3 deal is only until this month or something but its probably until they run out so hopefully it'll still be around in 20 days. I know that liberty has the built in hotspots, it is what I have my dx on right now. My dx has actually been pretty good minus the call volume problem and some random reboots but that might be due to me having the voltage set too low.

My biggest real reason for the d3 is def the world phone and the price. I would get the d4 if it was a global right away and if the battery was removable. I've already done the research on how to unlock it for non vodaphone GSM cards so ill be able to Skype back home to the family without having to hunt down wifi.

So yeah... still no d3 but unless the d4 comes out global ready and with a removable battery I will keep an eye on the d3 deal o found before and hope it is still available on a few weeks.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Ah, liberty you say? I guess it's time to investigate custom ROMs for the D3. :)

Please make sure to post back with the end of the story!

-Matt

OP
S
Reaction score
Will do, the wife wants a d3 now too after playing with my liberty dx. She also takes a lot of pictures and the 5mp on the strat is not going to cut it so I guess it is good we have to wait. Plus lte is not going to deploy for a bit out here and the current radios suck up way too much battery anyway. Definitely look into roms though, it is amazing how much trash vzw puts on these phones and how bogged down they are from the factory.

nikolio

Reaction score
I love the d3 now. I had a d2g and loved that but I dropped it in the river and went with the d3 for the dual processor except it isn't much faster than the d2g. Weird. Anyway, I got a few bum d3s in the mail. The software was messed up and the phone was glitchy. The fourth one they sent was finally smooth and I love it. There's nothing more I could want from a phone. And it doubles as my comp.

OP
S
Reaction score
That is one thing I'm worried about getting them in the mail from a third party retailer but if it's just software I can fix that myself via a sbf. The d3 wont seem faster than a d2 because the android system is not enough to really tax the processor. My dx and epic are both single core 1 ghz and they more than handle anything I throw at them. Honestly I do not need to upgrade from my dx because of performance or ability to run any apps, its the keyboard and global ability of the d3 that is making me upgrade. I will probably keep the d3 until lte is completely deployed and the battery life is as good as 3g phones are now.

JohnnyS101

Reaction score
I love my DROID3, i had it since it came out and loved it, i then switched to a nexus s for a few months and then went back to the d3, its heavy, but i use the keyboard alot and the screen is alot better, best phone i have had, and although i would like the 4, i agree with your points on how you cant remove the battery and how it isnt global

doogald

Reaction score
Sorry guys...I've been try to tell y'all...I think it IS global:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...nable-global-roaming-droid-4-lg-spectrum.html

Doesn't that suck.

Right, they say it will be global at some point later on, but apparently it will not be at launch. Also, there is no mention of the mechanism - is the SIM slot dual-purpose? Will you be able to put a local third-party SIM in when you travel to another country, or will it be locked to Vodafone roaming? There is still a lot we do not know. Plus, at one point in November Motorola announced that there would be new ICS devices within six weeks of the release of the ICS source, and we are now at about 11 weeks and counting and still no ICS devices from Motorola. I tend to take rumored dates like this ("first half of the year") not so seriously.

OP
S
Reaction score
Not to mention the current crop of 4g phones have radios that suck the battery out of the phone like a fat chick with a milkshake. I also am not going to see 4g until probably mid 2013 so I might as well get.the d3 and wait until 4g covers the current 3g footprint with radios that actually stay connected and don't use the battery up in 6 hours.

OP
S
Reaction score
FINALLY got my order cleared through Newegg today, phones will ship Monday and be here Tuesday and I have off Wed/Thurs so I will have a few days to mess with the phones and get all the docks setup. For anyone else out there who is buying through any third party, if you have any sort of issue (even if not your fault) with your bill and VZW credits you back X amount to offset Y balance, it will not clear out until your new bill balance becomes visible on MyVerizon. This also means that the system that all third parties who sell phones use to verify your account is green called "EROES" will show an unpaid balance and nothing you provide the third party with will allow them to process you. For me, that happened 3 days into my bill cycle so I've been waiting all this time for it to clear and hoping to Glob that the D3 supply would hold out which I thought it would as the Newegg promotion is running until 29 Feb.

Anyway, what I am getting for myself and the wife are:

-2 brand new Droid 3s
-2 OEM Motorola Car Docks
-2 OEM Motorola Desktop Docks
- Free activation of the extra Droid 3 on the ghost line ($35 value)
- Free next day shipping via FedEx

Total cost to me was $0 and this is officially the best deal I have ever got related to electronics. I also picked up two Qmadix cases with holsters, 4 Skinomi screen protectors and three new OEM car chargers with IC chips that turn the charger off when the battery is full. I also added the Newegg Wireless "Gold" protection plan in for $7/mo per phone so we are covered in case I break mine while changing a 300lb aircraft tire or she drops hers in the pool or some such...

Very excited to get these things in as well. Hers is going to stay bone stock so there are no Rom related issues if I'm out of the country. Mine is going to get rooted and Rom'd right out of the box and GSM unlocked so I can throw any prepaid SIM card I want in there while I am overseas and still get calls/texts/upload a video of me doing 200mph on the Autobahn in a rented Porsche without having to find a wifi connection...