Like many, I just unrooted for 2.1

Reaction score
I also unrooted. I was running Pete's V0.8 and loved it but for some reason calls from my wife's cell phone wouldn't ring to my phone. It wouldn't even show up as a missed call. So I went back to a unrooted 2.0.1 and figured I would wait for offcial 2.1. I figure I will get the baseband update and then wait for the rooting procedure for 2.1. I was liking the low voltage OC'd kernel.

korp

Reaction score
no, its not like MANY you are one of the FEW who unrooted for 2.1. we have had ESE53 for a few weeks now. why unroot when you already had 2.1 before the unrooted OTA guys.

-=jason=-
This ... stock is pointless.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
no, its not like MANY you are one of the FEW who unrooted for 2.1. we have had ESE53 for a few weeks now. why unroot when you already had 2.1 before the unrooted OTA guys.

-=jason=-
This ... stock is pointless.

This....Now that I am thinking about it, good point. Remember 2.0? I know a lot of you did not have phones with 2.0 but it had a ton of bugs. 2.1 will likely have a ton as well. And the argument is you want a more stable rom by unrooting. They couldnt even get the camera to work right in 2.0. Depending on what day you had your phone set to, it would or would not focus.

Ah....the days of being one of the few droid owners. haha

REARless

Reaction score
Innocuous statement

I am too struggling whether to unroot or not. I am running DroidMod 1.0 and I already have everything the 2.1 update promises.

I am not using tether like I thought I would.

I am not using the VPN like I thought I would. (I need root to connect to a Cisco IPSec VPN.)

I don't really see much of a performance improvement with overclocking and the heat hit kinda makes me nervous.

I do like the look I was able to achieve with Metamorph though.

Does any modding expert know if DroidMod is ESE53? They have not released a new ROM for a while since they are recovering from all the drama that happened.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I am too struggling whether to unroot or not. I am running DroidMod 1.0 and I already have everything the 2.1 update promises.

I am not using tether like I thought I would.

I am not using the VPN like I thought I would. (I need root to connect to a Cisco IPSec VPN.)

I don't really see much of a performance improvement with overclocking and the heat hit kinda makes me nervous.

I do like the look I was able to achieve with Metamorph though.

Does any modding expert know if DroidMod is ESE53? They have not released a new ROM for awhile since they are recovering from all the drama that happened.

Droidmod is not ESE53. Its ere25. The easy way to tell this is by the old 2.1 launcher with the 3d scrolling. 3d scrolling just doesn't work on ese53.

MJ5150

Reaction score
Hmmm...let me unroot from my current ESE53, so I can have VZW's ESE53 that doesn't do half as much as my current ESE53. That doesn't make any sense. A lot of work for a downgrade.

No thanks.

-Mike

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think that UNDERCLOCKING with ondemand seems to have a pretty significant impact on my battery. The speed and smoothness of more horsepower when I need it is a huge plus. Getting "warm" is not an issue most of the time.

Tethering is nice. Haven't tried it yet, but will eventually since I travel quite a bit.

The difference may not be that noticeable for some right now, but give it time as the home screens apps get more advanced and once everyone has their phones fully loaded. Some people push their phones pretty hard already, but figure as developers push it more both the speed and quicker cooling with the underclocking will probably be beneficial.

Maybe no overly compelling reason to root, but certainly no reason no to.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
PLUS, PDAnet ftw.
Or, FREE wifi tether to all sites (including HTTPS) FTW, more like it. (if you're rooted)

Nice car. I like the new avatar.

I unrooted, plan on staying that way until 2.1 rolls around because I really don't use all that other stuff. Sure, I missing a few bells and whistles but I rather enjoy the stock version.

And of course after saying that I do reserve the right to root again at anytime I feel like. :)

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
And it was damn painful!!! But, with the custom roms, from a personal standpoint, it just didn't seem stable to me sometimes. Sometimes I wouldn't receive calls, my pictures wouldn't save, didn't receive emails. Now I am aware that this is probably just me, but I wanted live wallpapers as well, and now that 2.1 has it, I have gone back to the dark side.

I'm almost positive once someone figures out how to root 2.1, I'll be back.

Check my ROM I just released. IMO, its the definition of stable, and doesn't lose sight of it being a phone first.

M

Matth3w

PLUS, PDAnet ftw.
Or, FREE wifi tether to all sites (including HTTPS) FTW, more like it. (if you're rooted)

Nice car. I like the new avatar.

I unrooted, plan on staying that way until 2.1 rolls around because I really don't use all that other stuff. Sure, I missing a few bells and whistles but I rather enjoy the stock version.

And of course after saying that I do reserve the right to root again at anytime I feel like. :)
Thanks, and I hear ya. :)

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
FWIW, my current set up has been flawless lately. Not even an occasional FC. Not sure that 2.1 has anything that I would unroot for. I'm not even sure the 2.1 ROMs coming out have anything that makes me want to go there.....yet.