Like it or not, we think the Verizon iPhone is coming

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by JohnDroid, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +18
    My opinion is this, iPhone will make an impact on Vz but it wont hurt Android too much. Why? Because not only is Android on Vz but its on T-Mobile, Sprint, and AT&T. And on top of that Android has been on AT&T since March. I can see some speculation about will iphone surpass Android again, but my prediction is no. (maybe in beginning rush, but not a couple months in) iPhone=1 phone. Android= Lots of devices, number just growing. This Vz iPhone needs to stop being portrayed as a show stopper. i personally enjoy the iphone but i prefer Android as my OS of choice. I also love competition, and think that overall this will work out better for us.

2. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +801
    The IPhone share was relatively flat last year, and there's reason to believe that, at least on AT&T, it's nearing saturation point (especially now with it going to VZW). Android, meanwhile, was hitting 40% of new smartphone sales in the second half of 2010.

There's a reason AT&T is loading up with 12 Android phones this year, and it's not just because they're losing IPhone exclusivity. Certainly it probably does stand to reason when they were paying a bundle for exclusivity to IPhone they had to throw marketing and resources behind it to justify the expense which meant mostly ignoring Android.

3. BUFFALOMADMAN

BUFFALOMADMAN Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I just dont understand why anyone would buy a 1 year old Iphone? It makes no sense if it was a 5g or something I could see but to buy a 1 year old phone doesnt make sense to me.
    I will be having fun with my dual core phone and tablet from moto coming soon to a store near youdancedroid

Oh and One other thing obviously apple will support the iphone to no end becasue thats the only phone they have out what about 3g ? do they still support that?

4. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +801
    Same reason people buy lower-end Android devices. Not everyone has the money and/or the need for the latest tech. That's why Apple still sells at least the 3G at a discount.

Depending on how VZW handles these LTE devices/pricing, the mfrs might be making a huge misstep. If they ignore the 3G market what will happen is Jobs won't, and that's 2/3 of the market who will be more likely to upgrade to an IPhone when LTE hits their area.

I read into this that VZW won't charge more for LTE nor will they pull a Sprint charging a premium even if you're not in an LTE area. VZW wanted LTE handsets, and I don't think they get the mfrs to go that route without guarantees their LTE devices won't sell in 3G markets because of service pricing. Think about that - you want me to develop a phone that will only compete in 1/3 of your market, with half a dozen other phones, PLUS the IPhone?

5. BUFFALOMADMAN

BUFFALOMADMAN Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    So what are you saying that LTE phones won't work in 3g networks. I think thats wrong because VZW would not be that irresponisble. LTE phones will work in just 3g areas because that is too much business lost. Imagine if your traveling your in a 4g area but you travel to a non 4g area so what you lose coverage no it just wouldn't make much sense. This is not like a lower end android device because they will sell probably at a high price all I am stating is that why as a consumer would you want a year old device I think it would make more sense for apple to release the 5g then the 4g just wouldnt make to much sense

6. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +801
    No, I'm saying if VZW changes data plans for LTE people will be reluctant to switch, especially if they are in a non-LTE area. Sprint was charging a premium ($10) for data whether people were in 4G areas or not.

These phones will work in 3G, but if someone can get an otherwise good/acceptable phone there is no reason to pay more or be capped for the LTE they can't use.

Not everyone is a power user or needs the latest tech. A $50-$100 handset that does what they want is simply a value purchase vs. paying $200+ for a phone with a bunch of features they don't need.

7. DaWolf85

DaWolf85 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    VZW hinted at its CES presentation that there would be an unlimited option for phones using LTE.
    I'm guessing that the unlimited option will be a bit more expensive, and there will be a tier that is cheaper than the 3G unlimited option, but still will allow enough data for most users.

8. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +801
    I expect as much. Although I suspect the cheaper plan will be only, say, 250megs (MAYBE 500)....enough for email and some very occassional/emergency browsing.

I'm hoping for 5gig at the normal $30 price, but think it might be 2gigs (which is still sufficient for most users). However, knowing data usage will only increase I'm obviously hoping for 5gigs.

If VZW is smart, they'll price unlimited at like $60 and throw in free tethering - go after the home broadband market. That'd be a viable option for me vs. $30 for data plus $50 for home broadband (which I could ditch). Or maybe $40 and give you unlimited tethering for an additional $20.

9. cybertec69

cybertec69 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +318
    Why would Verizon go after the home broadband market, and it turn kill their Fios Internet service, which by the way is lightning fast and kicks major behind, I have had Fios for three years now and it rocks.

10. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +801
    A lot of people don't have or can't get FIOS. They could also offer a bundled package to FIOS users, right now I think all they really offer is consolidated billing which is more a convenience than any sort of value.

The FIOS footprint isn't that large, and I'm not sure they've continued to invest instead turning focus to LTE (at least temporarily). Bottom line is LTE competes as a viable home broadband alternative in every market it comes to, and the VZW CEO has hinted at LTE as a home broadband alternative.

11. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Fios isn't everywhere....

12. BUFFALOMADMAN

BUFFALOMADMAN Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah kodiak my bad I didnt understand what you were getting at but I thought sprint now in return stopped issuing the 10 dollar fee for people who do not use it. I think what there going to do is do what they said just make an unlimited plan instead of having all this confusing stuff going on. But I mean I dont really care all my point was why spend money on a phone that is almost a year old when I think what apple is going to do is sell the 4g phone then in 2 months release the 5g with lte you know I think there being a little dirty trying to double dip and as a consumer I just don't understand why I would buy a last year device when I know around the corner he Iphone 5g will come out you know what I am saying? I understand not everyone keeps up tp date but for me I like to investigate what I buy and if apple is going to do some shady thing like put out 4g and then release the 5g in 3 to 4 months I would be mad I guess lucky I love my droid

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.