Like it or not, we think the Verizon iPhone is coming

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by JohnDroid, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mszv

mszv Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If John Paczkowski says that Jobs is (probably) going to appear at the Verizon announcement, I'd believe it. He's quite reliable, not to mention very funny. I remember him fondly from his days at the San Jose Mercury News.

Here's the latest entry from John on the probability (possibility?) of an unlimited data plan from Verizon for the iPhone.

Verizon iPhone to Debut With Unlimited Data Plan | John Paczkowski | Digital Daily | AllThingsD

Yes, I know, unlimited doesn't always mean "unlimited" -- weird things happen.

I think it's going to be super interesting to see what's going to happen with Android and all.

As I said before, I'm sticking with an Android device, though I think the iPhone is a great phone. People I know and respect have an iPhone -- tech types too!

Assuming Sprint still has decent coverage and a good selection of Android phones, I might go with Sprint for the next go around. I was with Sprint, and it was fine but they didn't have the phone I really wanted, the Motorola Droid. So I switched to Verizon to get my Motorola Droid, the original. Sprint's plans are a little cheaper, and Sprint might be working to court my business. This is assuming Sprint continues to have good Android phones, including ones with a physical keyboard, my preference.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  2. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    wasn't necessary. We encourage courtesy among our members.

3. kodiak799

kodiak799 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +405
    Not that, in comparison to AT&T, the unlimited plan isn't relevant but it's kind of funny to see people talk like it's something special.

The IPhone, at least until June, will be 3G and there's no reason for there to be special data pricing for the IPhone. Besides that, Jobs would allow no such thing.

Sure, LTE could be a different story but that will be the case for ALL smartphones.

4. UNC

UNC Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Fair enough. My mistake.

5. debdroid1a

debdroid1a Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Yep that right, Android is making BIG time sales.
    Same as "the arrival of iPhone 4." Um, the iphone hasn't arrived on Verizon yet.

Besides it's "appleinsider" quotes the WJS which has been wrong before.

However, I could see it coming.
    But like others have said, usually Apple makes thes announcements, not the phone company. Unless At&t didn't want to do it for some reason. But I still think Steve jobs would want this 15 minutes of fame (plus the thousands of bloopers on youtube views... so 20 minutes of fame).

I could see people going to the iPhone on Verizon. There are those who need the simplier phone and more apps that are available.

I like my Droid and will stay with it.

6. Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay to those of you saying that apple makes their own announcement at their own place need to realize this is not a new product, simply q new carrier. Did apple have a press conference one time for each carrier it is currently on? Not at all close lol

7. debdroid1a

debdroid1a Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Did you contact your banks IT person at the corporate office or ask the teller?

My bank doesn't have an ap either, but it's just a local credit union. They don't have an iphone app either. Just double checked. They are on facebook and twitter though...

8. geoff5093

geoff5093 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +29
    While Apple allowing their iPhone on Verizon is huge news, I don't think it's enough to warrant a press conference on their part. What is there really to say other then "Verizon now carries our iPhone"? Unless it's a brand new 4G iPhone, it's not like they can talk about new features or anything.

9. kodiak799

kodiak799 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +405
    Maybe when asked what this means Jobs will hold up an IPhone in his left hand and say "behold...3bars....and NO BUMPER!!!!"

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  10. cpjr

cpjr Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Considering how many rumors have been floating around for sooo long about Verizon and the iPhone and how much anticipation is floating around.......wouldn't surprise me a bit if that was the only reason they were having a press conference. Apple loves dropping news in a big way, if you've never noticed.

11. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,374
    Not to mention Verizon turned Apple down the first time and Jobs might not be over that yet

Support Our Troops!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved.

12. debdroid1a

debdroid1a Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Please read the article, not just the headline.
    "
    The largest U.S. wireless carrier will make the long-awaited announcement at an event Tuesday..."

So the headline confirms it but the article does not.

And it's a WSJ article. They've said it was coming forever... every quarter a new article appeared. So they're not reliable at all. This article proves it too.

But... Verizon is announcing something tomorrow...

13. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    wait...what? the headline confirms it and the article backs up the headline...not sure what you're saying...

14. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ^^ I still think it's LTE pagers

15. debdroid1a

debdroid1a Member

Ratings:
    +6
    No the artricle does NOT confirm it. It says it will announce it. But that's not confirmation. I can announce anything in the future, but that doesn't make it true. I can announce

Verizon will announce that they are not getting the iPhone but have a better line up of phones, Tuesday, January 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.